Sponsored

Engine tapping sound(I think normal), and an electrical buzzing from my '18 5.0 engine

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I have the engine tapping , I think its normal but im not entirely sure. The car has 1000 miles. I read in the gt350 section that piston slap while cold is normal and expected due to the aluminum pistons expanding when hot. The 5.0 has aluminum pistons also as far as I know.

Ive seen other videos with this sound exactly like mine here.

It happens about a minute after a cold start when the revs go down but before the engine is warm.

I will include a cold start where you cant hear the tap much because of high idle :

Here is the tap noise happening about a minute or 2 after the cold start above ^ :

Here is the engine with no tap noise after a 5 minute drive and the engine becoming warm :

And this is the weird hissing/zapping noise I noticed after removing engine cover which I would like to know if its normal? Its coming from the left side of the engine. I dont think its the catch can but I do have a catch can. What could be causing this weird hissing/zapping??

Car seems to run great though.. Thanks for any replies.
Sponsored

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
All automotive engines have Aluminium pistons. The gt’s are a hypereutectic Aluminium piston as far as i’ve Heard. The other choices would be forged or cast Aluminium

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
My gt has the same ticking. It’s normal I guess.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Put your engine cover back on and shut your hood. All good. Lol.

Or, post another boobtube video saying how horrible 18 plus mustangs are and how they are all failing by the thousands... :).

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Id just like to know if that buzzing is normal also, sounds like something electrical to me. Guess ill ask the dealer. Going to put in some castrol edge extended performance 5w20 soon.

Sponsored

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
It's the "BBQ" tick.

Ford has replaced motors and has also said normal.

I'd say it's fine.

Mine has it... your neighbor's has it. Julio from down the block's has it... F-it LOL

NikNala

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold-18 GT A10
The BBQ tick can sometimes be eliminated by the use of an engine oil additive such as Ceratec by Liqui Moly(found at NAPA or ordered online). I changed my oil on my 2018 A10 GT from the factory fill after 2000 miles to Amsoil SS 5w-20 and immediately got the tick. I waited 200 miles and it was still there. I put in Ceratec drove 40 more miles that day and it was gone on the next days cold start. That was a thousand miles ago and it’s still gone. I know this is doesnt prove that Ceratec always works but the tick annoyed me enough that I wanted to try something.

Last edited:

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Put your engine cover back on and shut your hood. All good. Lol.

Or, post another boobtube video saying how horrible 18 plus mustangs are and how they are all failing by the thousands... :).
How does your post IN ANY WAY contribute positively to either this forum or the OP's question? These kinds of posts are better left unposted.

OP, as someone else commented, it sounds like the "BBQ tick". Hard to say if it is an issue or not.

The best thing you can do is take it to the dealer and have it at least noted. That way if it does become an issue later you can prove that you brought it in to be checked out when it was first noticed.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Isn’t direct injection a bit noisy? Removing the engine cover may allow more objectionable sound to filter through. I think Zinc03gt may have been alluding to that.
Sponsored