Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Base MT82
Did a pull last night and did 2-3 shift and the fork broke. 1300 miles, stock car. Wasn't even full throttle and shifted at about 6 grand. I had done a WOT pull earlier that day and 3rd locked me out with a nasty grind. Car was built in May. Just took it to the dealer. Ford is paying for a rental.

Over 20 cars I've owned with a manual and this was the first to break.
Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Welcome to the Chinese MT-82. That sucks. I do not believe there is any real bullet proof remedy to this outside upgrading to a real Tremec.

OP
OP
chrishammondx

chrishammondx

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Welcome to the Chinese MT-82. That sucks. I do not believe there is any real bullet proof remedy to this outside upgrading to a real Tremec.
Yea. I'll see what happens after the fix it. If I have the same issue again I'm getting a Camaro SS.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Well if your into manuals only, I would have thought you already did that research of cam vs mus. Good luck.

OP
OP
chrishammondx

chrishammondx

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

OP
OP
chrishammondx

chrishammondx

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Well if your into manuals only, I would have thought you already did that research of cam vs mus. Good luck.
I prefer the looks of the Stang. I drove my boys 16 SS quite a few times. It was a coin flip and the Mustang won me over. Nothing that money can't fix if I change my mind.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
I prefer the looks of the Stang. I drove my boys 16 SS quite a few times. It was a coin flip and the Mustang won me over. Nothing that money can't fix if I change my mind.
It's under warranty, so the only problems are 1. the wait and 2. they should reimburse you for that wait (like covering a car payment or something) which IIRC they did for the LS_Eater guy? Once it's fixed I would hope/assume there won't be any more problems with the transmission.

The worst part is that folks who want to start tuning/modding right away might want to hold off so they're not dicked around with warranty claim denials.

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
I am going to just try not to drive like a dick until I can afford to be without the car or buy a replacement trans. So far, so good. Back in the day, these car didn't have enough power to break the trans. A stock GT had 270hp max. Now you have twice that with grip. I may find a backup trans for a deal over the winter just in case while the car is in storage. Good luck with your fix.

OP
OP
chrishammondx

chrishammondx

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I am going to just try not to drive like a dick until I can afford to be without the car or buy a replacement trans. So far, so good. Back in the day, these car didn't have enough power to break the trans. A stock GT had 270hp max. Now you have twice that with grip. I may find a backup trans for a deal over the winter just in case while the car is in storage. Good luck with your fix.
That's the thing. I wasn't even doing a run or even WOT when it broke. I didn't even know it broke right away until the engine revved up like it was in neutral. I wish I was at least WOT, haha.

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
so let me guess, it broke while u were GENTLY putting it in 3rd at 6k right? lol when alex broke his he had 500lbs of force (not saying the forks r not weak cause they r). I treat mine with respect, beat on it everyday and so far so good.

I hope u get ur car fixed soon :(

Sponsored

Switch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
After seeing all the treads and videos of these forks breaking I have been speaking softly and gently carressing the car into each gear but 1300 miles? Wow, im wondering if I should just get it over with and go mortal kombat and "FInish Him". Like I said I dont shift hard but I would hate for it to go after some mods and then deal with that head ache. Best of luck for a quick fix.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
build date of your car? see if it was in the same batch with the other bad forks?

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I believe mine is 1/18. its got 850 miles on it so its a ticking time bomb lol!
the reason i asked is if im not mistaken the build dates seem to be 12/17 to 2/18 most that have broke forks lie in that range. of course not saying any other build date has broken a fork, but that seems to be the batch of forks that ford claims was defective

Switch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
the reason i asked is if im not mistaken the build dates seem to be 12/17 to 2/18 most that have broke forks lie in that range. of course not saying any other build date has broken a fork, but that seems to be the batch of forks that ford claims was defective
That's just my luck. Almost made it. Oh well that's what warranty is for. If it breaks it breaks. I may just hold off on a blower for quite a while and maybe just bag it instead.
Sponsored