Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Its most definitely an inordinately high failure rate. Without question. What may appear to be a small percentage of failures is actually quite large. In my line of work anything less than 98% success is very bad. That is my industry. In varies. If the actions of Ford tell the story, it is very bad.

According to the latest rumors, an updated version of the 2014 Ford Shelby GT500's 5.8-liter supercharged V-8 is under the hood of the next-gen Mustang GT500. The V-8 reportedly features a Ferrari-like flat-plane crank, a 7000 rpm redline, and probably Dodge Challenger Hellcat-trumping horsepower figures north of 660-hp. Ford is rumored to having a bit of difficultly developing the updated 5.8-liter mill, with several of the new mills "suffering catastrophic engine failures," according to our source.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2017-ford-mustang-svt-gt500-successor-spied/

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Its most definitely an inordinately high failure rate. Without question. What may appear to be a small percentage of failures is actually quite large. In my line of work anything less than 98% success is very bad. That is my industry. In varies. If the actions of Ford tell the story, it is very bad.

According to the latest rumors, an updated version of the 2014 Ford Shelby GT500's 5.8-liter supercharged V-8 is under the hood of the next-gen Mustang GT500. The V-8 reportedly features a Ferrari-like flat-plane crank, a 7000 rpm redline, and probably Dodge Challenger Hellcat-trumping horsepower figures north of 660-hp. Ford is rumored to having a bit of difficultly developing the updated 5.8-liter mill, with several of the new mills "suffering catastrophic engine failures," according to our source.

Even by the hypothetically high numbers referenced by @galaxy , the failure rate would .5% or less... and what does the the GT500 5.8L engine (not even in production yet) have to do with the 5.2 NA Voodoo being discussed in this thread? You’ve posted at least three times that I’ve seen. Just trying to understand.

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I've posted it twice because people seem to be all too given to making shit up. Motortrend is my source. I find those attempting futilely to dismiss the enormity of the problem are a bit suspect in my estimation.

I even bolded the key sentence, so even the lowest common denominator should be able to grasp it.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
I've posted it twice because people seem to be all too given to making shit up. Motortrend is my source. I find those attempting futilely to dismiss the enormity of the problem are a bit suspect in my estimation.

I even bolded the key sentence, so even the lowest common denominator should be able to grasp it.
That Motortrend article is from 2014. They are talking about developmental 5.2L Voodoo work (not Predator). So you already have to take their word with a grain of salt as they were wrong. All developmental engines have tons of issues. I've worked on 2 engines now and LOL people would be horrified if you heard how the sausage is made.

I believe there are engine failures for a common reason, but I believe it's contamination. The earlier the oil change, the better.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
If you guys don't think you can find 100 then you definitely aren't on Facebook seeing them all. There are at least 3 guys that have 2 apiece lol.

And how can you divide that hypothetical 100 into the 20,000 owners that only a small percentage are even on Facebook/forum to tell you about it? Let that sink in...

After you let that sink in, think about how mine was fine til 6k and then decided to act up. Do you know how many are out there with VERY low miles and the owner has no idea if it'll act up at a very young age? Alot, check autotrader, cars.com, etc.

There was even a poll about engine problems, and by using my 4th grade math level it appeared that about 7.5% of people in the group did in fact have an issue.

Idk what's acceptable to tell ya the truth, shit happens...but in this instance it feels a little excessive.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Justin, if you read my post #893 whereby I asked much the same questions as you and with no response.

Like yourself I would like his definition of what he claims about an alarming engine failure rate for these FPC engines and how he substantiates his claim?

What we do know is that Ford has produced ~19,000 to ~20,000 GT350/R's over the last 3MY's and obviously Ford is confident enough to continue to launch production of these same FPC engines for the 2019MY GT350/R's next Spring.
Absolutely Harry. I don't believe for a second based on what we are seeing that there are any inherent design issues or flaws. Hell, the cars were subjected to 24hr endurance torture tests where only consumables like oil, tires and brakes could be replaced... I believe a LARGE portion of the issues we are seeing are a combination of this being a very high performance engine that requires fairly tight tolerances to work as intended, combined with errors at the assembly line as well as driver induced mistakes potentially based on how the individual drives. Lets face it, the engine builders at Ford are by no means AMG Master engine builders for example and sometimes they will make mistakes! Combined with how a lot of people treat their cars, i.e heavy acceleration before its warmed up properly, lugging the engine, cruising around with light load at high rpms for the sound, etc. it isn't difficult to see where some issues might arise, especially with an engine at this performance level!

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)

98% success rate with no engine issues? Are you dreaming? You realize that reliability studies have shown that some automakers, Audi actually being the worst, suffers something close to a 23% rate of engine failures within the first X many years. Expecting a 98% success rate is just not realistic. I would be very surprised if the number of "failed" engines totaled greater than 5%.

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500

So you say. It’s not your fantastic font editing skills that caused my “wut” moment lol. See the next quote and you’ll gain some insight into why I was confused. I was just trying to get the point.

That Motortrend article is from 2014. They are talking about developmental 5.2L Voodoo work (not Predator). So you already have to take their word with a grain of salt as they were wrong. All developmental engines have tons of issues. I've worked on 2 engines now and LOL people would be horrified if you heard how the sausage is made.

I believe there are engine failures for a common reason, but I believe it's contamination. The earlier the oil change, the better.
Thank you

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
I've really enjoyed this thread. I am selling my GT350 in the morning. Not because of any perceived issues, my example has been flawless, no real consumption between oil changes or any other issues for that matter. Wish Ford would've made the passenger seat height adjustable like the drivers side so my little wife didn't have to sit on a cushion to see over the dash, but other than that it's been a great car. Nope, no issues, I just have too many cars and I need to free up a space in one of my garages and after doing eeny meeny miny moe, the Shelby lost.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I've really enjoyed this thread. I am selling my GT350 in the morning. Not because of any perceived issues, my example has been flawless, no real consumption between oil changes or any other issues for that matter. Wish Ford would've made the passenger seat height adjustable like the drivers side so my little wife didn't have to sit on a cushion to see over the dash, but other than that it's been a great car. Nope, no issues, I just have too many cars and I need to free up a space in one of my garages and after doing eeny meeny miny moe, the Shelby lost.
You're selling the Shelby with its FPC V8 that's unlike anything else on the planet and keeping the flat 4-cyl turbo.. Yikessss :O

I'm a Porsche fanboy at heart, but that's one I decision I couldn't cope with. Maybe for a 991.1 911 GTS or a .2 GT3, or even a GT4/Spyder I would drop the the R for, nothing else in their lineup though.

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
That Motortrend article is from 2014. They are talking about developmental 5.2L Voodoo work (not Predator). So you already have to take their word with a grain of salt as they were wrong.
It is still happening. Clearly. It is a disaster. The article is obviously misdated, and horribly edited. The rumor of the disaster of the GT350 is the important bit of information, and seems to correlate to reality.

Last edited:

MulhollandMonster

Laus Deo
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
98% success rate with no engine issues? Are you dreaming? You realize that reliability studies have shown that some automakers, Audi actually being the worst, suffers something close to a 23% rate of engine failures within the first X many years. Expecting a 98% success rate is just not realistic. I would be very surprised if the number of "failed" engines totaled greater than 5%.
And?

Never happened to any other car of mine. From Nissan, to Subaru, to Mitsubishi to Chevrolet. Red line after cold starts, 50 minutes sessions on Big Willow. You name it. Never before. I obsess about cars and have frequented nearly every car enthusiast forum, and never have seen a similar thread to this. Never. I used to rip canyons for hours in the WRX and Evo, 10s of thousands of hard miles. Abusive as shit.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
When SVT was developing the terminator engine for the 03/04 Cobra they couldn’t make a rod strong enough. It’s how the process works, things break. IIRC at the time ford paid about $7 for a production connecting rod. They needed to purchase Manley rods for something like $56 each.