Vehicle(s)
Blu Fury

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
A lot of people have that tick! I have it too. Check out this thread here.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/bbq-tick-after-oil-change.24612/page-18#post-2321280

Lots of info in there.
It seems to be "normal" and it can be eliminated with Motorcraft oil modifier XL-17. Only problem, that stuff isn't available anymore. btw even the Powerstroke 6.7 have the same noise. XL-17 was used to eliminate it.
That's a terrible idea. If you put something out of spec in your oil then something actually happens then you're on the hook.

bl4d3runn3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blu Fury
I bought Liquid Moly Ceratec and the tick is gone. I will test it further, but it seems to do the trick.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Intesting, I'm not sure why Ceratec would help with that. Isn't it basically a friction reducer?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
Hi,

I got a Mustang GT performance package about 2 weeks ago.

I didnt pay attention initially but since the past 2 days I have heard a "tick" form the front passenger side ONLY when I cold start in the morning. Lasts for about 2 minutes. It does not happen when when the car is warmed up.

I have read most of the forum and does the Tick mean that I am screwed? I plan to take the car to a dealership in the next 3-4 days but I am sure they wont find any thing as the car will be warmed up and the noise probably gone.

Would appreciate some in input.

Thanks

Adam

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Usually the barbeque tick is with the engine warmed up. Not present until around 185 degrees or so. After the engine is warm it is constant. A/C on worsens it.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
Thank You for the reply. AC does no worsen it. I will keep you guys posted about what this turns out to be in the next few days. Thanks

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Hi,

I didnt pay attention initially but since the past 2 days I have heard a "tick" form the front passenger side ONLY when I cold start in the morning. Lasts for about 2 minutes. It does not happen when when the car is warmed up.

I have read most of the forum and does the Tick mean that I am screwed? I plan to take the car to a dealership in the next 3-4 days but I am sure they wont find any thing as the car will be warmed up and the noise probably gone.

Thanks

Adam
There is no correlation between idle tick and engine failure. Some guys with the tick have cylinder damage, and others are fine.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
There is no correlation between idle tick and engine failure. Some guys with the tick have cylinder damage, and others are fine.
Very true. Just go on the F150 forums. Lots of information on this subject. And the same results. People with over 200,000 miles on their 5.0 engines with a tick no problems. Others getting a short block. Maybe the tick is benign and other problems are discovered looking into it,

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
Hi,

Thanks

Adam
I get this too, a tick on a cold start is perfectly normal.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
Thank you so much for the reply.

How long does your “tick”last for? Mine last 2-3 min and then completely disappears.

Thanks anyways. I will let you know what happens to the noise. Thanks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018
Hi,

I tries to attach a video but its the file is too large. Will try to upload shortly.

It happens only on “cold starts” that means morning only. Doesnot seem to happen when i restart later in the day.

-It only lasts for 2.5 to 3.5 minutes( ihave timed it).

- seems to start when the engine reaches idle (800-1000 rpm) after initial start. I dont hear ot when the engine is at 1500-2000

- i have done some research and noted that the piston slap tick is there “all the time” and significantly increases witj reving up

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

I tries to attach a video but its the file is too large. Will try to upload shortly.

It happens only on “cold starts” that means morning only. Doesnot seem to happen when i restart later in the day.

-It only lasts for 2.5 to 3.5 minutes( ihave timed it).

- seems to start when the engine reaches idle (800-1000 rpm) after initial start. I dont hear ot when the engine is at 1500-2000

- i have done some research and noted that the piston slap tick is there “all the time” and significantly increases witj reving up

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
same here with my 2018GT. I used a bottle of liqui moly cera tech and the ticking is gone.

Takandrius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I just wish I could get a straight answer regarding the failures, my tick started off like most and got worse to the point it is now rattling and ticking violently almost all the time. Waiting on a loaner car so I can have ford look into it. will update if I get some info. If you want to listen to it is my video of it starting, if you look at my "channel" (not a youtuber) I have posted weekly progression of the sound, if you drive the car a couple thousand miles and nothing happens I am pretty certain you might be fine as mine got worse only after a month.

djk99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP2 GT

Mine just went in to get motor torn down. Noise has progressively gotten worse.