Sponsored

285s on 19x10 - lowered 1" - OK or not?

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
I know there's a ton of these threads but sifting through pages of them is difficult, so thanks in advance for your assistance. I currently have the stock 20x9 wheels with stock 265/35's tires. I am lowered 1".

Looking at a squared 19x10 setup with 285/40's. Assuming the new wheels have the same 42.5mm backspacing, will I have any rub problems? Would I need a different offset?

I'm new at this whole "new wheels thing" so appreciate your advice/help. Thanks.
Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
The wheels mentioned and 285 35 19 will work and look better squared IMHO .

Apex Wheels

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
There are no issues running 19x10" all around with a lowered car, as long as the offset of the wheels is correct. Our 19x10"s use a +40mm offset, which works great on lowered cars with no rubbing or anything of that nature. I also agree with the above comment about 285/35-19 as opposed to the 285/40-19 you initially suggested. It will fit the wheel better and have better feedback and response due to the slightly shorter sidewall.

For example, we currently have a wheel/tire package sale going on right now:

(4) 19x10” ET40 EC-7 Wheels in any finish
(4) TPMS Sensors & Color Match Metal Valves Stems
(4) 285/35-19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tires
Free Mount & Balance

List Package Price: $3,095.96
Discounted Package Price: $2,695.96
Savings of $400

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Thanks very much, Brian V and ApexRaceParts. Really appreciate the advice and I will certainly consider that special! Doing my due diligence right now to ensure I don't screw anything up. :)

ronnieb1958

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
There are no issues running 19x10" all around with a lowered car, as long as the offset of the wheels is correct. Our 19x10"s use a +40mm offset, which works great on lowered cars with no rubbing or anything of that nature. I also agree with the above comment about 285/35-19 as opposed to the 285/40-19 you initially suggested. It will fit the wheel better and have better feedback and response due to the slightly shorter sidewall.

For example, we currently have a wheel/tire package sale going on right now:

(4) 19x10” ET40 EC-7 Wheels in any finish
(4) TPMS Sensors & Color Match Metal Valves Stems
(4) 285/35-19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tires
Free Mount & Balance

List Package Price: $3,095.96
Discounted Package Price: $2,695.96
Savings of $400
What would be the difference in fit/flush fender with 19x10 wheels with a +35mm offset?

Sponsored

Apex Wheels

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
What would be the difference in fit/flush fender with 19x10 wheels with a +35mm offset?
About 5mm :) But really, there won't be much of a noticeable difference. The +35mm will sit 5mm further out, which honestly it getting a bit aggressive if you're lowered a lot, try to stuff a wide tire on there, and drive the car near the limit. Higher chance of rubbing, which is why we went with the +40mm offset.

Bottom line: 5mm difference is very small, and the majority won't know or can't tell the difference between it and a +40mm offset. +40mm gives you more room to work with if you track or aggressively drive your car. If there's a wheel you just absolutely love but it only comes in a 10" wide +35mm offset, that's okay. Buy it and enjoy! But given the choice, I would choose +40mm ever single time.

- Cory

ronnieb1958

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
About 5mm :) But really, there won't be much of a noticeable difference. The +35mm will sit 5mm further out, which honestly it getting a bit aggressive if you're lowered a lot, try to stuff a wide tire on there, and drive the car near the limit. Higher chance of rubbing, which is why we went with the +40mm offset.

Bottom line: 5mm difference is very small, and the majority won't know or can't tell the difference between it and a +40mm offset. +40mm gives you more room to work with if you track or aggressively drive your car. If there's a wheel you just absolutely love but it only comes in a 10" wide +35mm offset, that's okay. Buy it and enjoy! But given the choice, I would choose +40mm ever single time.

- Cory
I've got a 2015 Ecoboost on Steeda Progressives (front drop: 1.125", rear drop: 1"). I cruise the Blvd. and don't track, but I'm anal about fit and want the ideal size so I'm gonna go with the +40mm.

thanx for the tip.

Apex Wheels

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I've got a 2015 Ecoboost on Steeda Progressives (front drop: 1.125", rear drop: 1"). I cruise the Blvd. and don't track, but I'm anal about fit and want the ideal size so I'm gonna go with the +40mm.

thanx for the tip.
No problem, let me know if I can help on wheels/tire packages or even just wheels!

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP

- Cory
It's a two edged sword. +40 can put a wider than average 285 too close to the strut up front. +35 puts the rear very close to what some would consider poking out.
Personally I prefer +35 and extra camber to tuck the tire (or more importantly to provide more grip and better tire life on track).

Apex Wheels

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It's a two edged sword. +40 can put a wider than average 285 too close to the strut up front. +35 puts the rear very close to what some would consider poking out.
Personally I prefer +35 and extra camber to tuck the tire (or more importantly to provide more grip and better tire life on track).
Majority of 285s will be fine, but I see where you're going. In my opinion, it is better to use a 5mm spacer on a +40mm wheel up front should you try and stuff too wide of a tire on it, that way the rear does not poke.

Sponsored

ronnieb1958

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I guess the question to ask is, what tire brands are true to size that would prevent the predicament of being too close to the strut up front and rear poke.

Cory, what say you?

Apex Wheels

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I guess the question to ask is, what tire brands are true to size that would prevent the predicament of being too close to the strut up front and rear poke.

Cory, what say you?
Michelin's and BFG are known to run a little larger than others, but that package I outlined above fits correctly both front and rear. Federal's run very wide. Nitto is a bit on the smaller size. Continental, Bridgestone (Firestone), Falken, and Pirelli are pretty average. Those are the ones that come to mind.

I have not seen any issues from customers running 285 Michelins on a 10" wide wheel with an offset of +40mm rubbing the strut.
Sponsored