1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
People loooooooove to bitch and moan. Its pretty simple, if Ford doesnt have what you want, go buy something else. Buy a ZL1 or Hellcat or some Euro car.
What are you going to do when the car comes out? People here need a reality check, even when the car comes out bitchers and moaners will riot when they find out a car they wont even be buying has ADM tacked on.
Sponsored

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
My thinking all along has been that the GT350 is the halo car for the S550 platform. I'm not expecting a GT500 until the S650 (or whatever it ends up being called) hits the street. I don't see the point in introducing a new GT500 on a 5 year old platform that will only be around for a few more years.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I have assumed the same thing; the GT350R was so amazing that there was no urgency to release another GT500 so soon after many years of GT500 production.

Of course that doesn't help the straight line, big power guys who are sick of their 4 year old cars and want a new GT500.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I have assumed the same thing; the GT350R was so amazing that there was no urgency to release another GT500 so soon after many years of GT500 production.

Of course that doesn't help the straight line, big power guys who are sick of their 4 year old cars and want a new GT500.
In addition to no sense of urgency as far as launching the new GT500 it is apparent that there is no sense of urgency to launch the upcoming 2019 GT350/R's which will not begin production until sometime in early 2019.

For us Mustang enthusiasts it is going to be a very long and boring winter waiting for either of them.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
My thinking all along has been that the GT350 is the halo car for the S550 platform. I'm not expecting a GT500 until the S650 (or whatever it ends up being called) hits the street. I don't see the point in introducing a new GT500 on a 5 year old platform that will only be around for a few more years.
What you say makes sense, but there are two things that work against it.

1. Ford said in January 2018 that they would show the production GT500 in 2019
  2. Ford also delayed the start of S650 until sometime in 2020 or 21.
So by Ford’s own account, GT500 comes before S650.

Sponsored

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
What you say makes sense, but there are two things that work against it.

1. Ford said in January 2018 that they would show the production GT500 in 2019
  2. Ford also delayed the start of S650 until sometime in 2020 or 21.
So by Ford’s own account, GT500 comes before S650.
We'll see. I'm good either way.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
I got tired of dealing with greedy ford dealerships while looking for a 350. Thought about waiting for the 500 and after Realizing that all I am doing is wasting time I went out and got a Zl1 1LE to compliment my Hellcat.

Really glad I did. The 1LE is a monster in the turns. Who cares about what GM is doing and who is selling more units. Live in the moment, if you’re tired of waiting, go out and get a Hellcat or a Zl1 1LE, you won’t be dissapointed. Each car Executes it’s purpose beautifully.

When the 500 comes out I hope it has something special to offer. If it does, I’ll consider one then.

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
A buddy of mine who started the new ME forum is very well connected with the Corvette team, and all indications are the C8 will become mid engine. With that a price increase of no more than 7-10k he believes. I think this has a very negative impact for the 500, however a positive impact for perspective buyers. If ford wanted to maximize sales it should’ve been shown last Jan. And available this fall. Now by the time it debuts and is available the entry ME will be available. To this point much of the rumors point to an overweight, nothing extra special 500. I was really hopeful that the base 500 would be 720-750 hp and have a weight around 4K not the suggested 4200 plus! Time will tell, but I don’t think the timing is good.
Perhaps it will, all signs I've seen do not point to it being a full replacement of the RWD platform. Agree with everything else you mention, I still think the 500 will be sub 4,000lbs and horsepower will be fine wherever it lands. Regardless an R/KR will land in my garage sometime next year. This conversation started about cross shopping Vettes then ME Vettes vs the 500. There are some cross shoppers certainly but in the big scheme of things it's a small percentage of sales.

Quinten33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None, lol
It’s weird that Ford really hasn’t said a word about the GT500 since Detroit. They’re definitely going to lose sales to the C8, as that car is, more than likely going to weigh >3200lbs with 500hp for >$70,000. They’re also losing sales to the Hellcat Redeye as that car gains popularity and the ZL1 1LE is still drawing in new buyers. There’s a new, loud Camaro testing in Michigan right now at the GM proving grounds and it isn’t another $7,000 off flop. What time of the year does Ford start production of new Mustangs? Do they introduce models in the middle of model years? (I’m a Chevy guy, forgive me lol.)

Ford has to get the GT500 on lots very soon, but they’re already too late to introduce it successfully this year. It won’t be warm for much longer up North, and I’m certain that there are a plethora of potential GT500 buyers in the Northern states and Canada who have limited time to enjoy their cars throughout the rest of the year. I think that we’ll see the GT500 debut in Detroit at the NAIAS, with production starting in late March. A year and three months after that, a new Camaro Z/28 or other halo variation should be available for a similar price as the GT500. Ford better be taking this time to make sure that the GT500 is 100% perfect, and I’ll be disappointed to see any major cooking or reliability issues with it.

Sponsored

Snakedriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The ZL1 is a performance bargain and a better platform than the Mustang. You can also buy a ZL1 at a discount the new GT500 will have a epic ADM. they need to release more info on the GT500 soon.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I would think Ford would have a plan B to keep the Ford loyalist happy until the GT500 is ready for production. I would think plan B would be to produce a GT350 that that would be a near GT500 with close to 600 HP to satisfy the Ford faithful until the GT 500 is available. I bet a beefed up GT350 would sell.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It’s weird that Ford really hasn’t said a word about the GT500 since Detroit. They’re definitely going to lose sales to the C8, as that car is, more than likely going to weigh >3200lbs with 500hp for >$70,000. They’re also losing sales to the Hellcat Redeye as that car gains popularity and the ZL1 1LE is still drawing in new buyers. There’s a new, loud Camaro testing in Michigan right now at the GM proving grounds and it isn’t another $7,000 off flop. What time of the year does Ford start production of new Mustangs? Do they introduce models in the middle of model years? (I’m a Chevy guy, forgive me lol.)

Ford has to get the GT500 on lots very soon, but they’re already too late to introduce it successfully this year. It won’t be warm for much longer up North, and I’m certain that there are a plethora of potential GT500 buyers in the Northern states and Canada who have limited time to enjoy their cars throughout the rest of the year. I think that we’ll see the GT500 debut in Detroit at the NAIAS, with production starting in late March. A year and three months after that, a new Camaro Z/28 or other halo variation should be available for a similar price as the GT500. Ford better be taking this time to make sure that the GT500 is 100% perfect, and I’ll be disappointed to see any major cooking or reliability issues with it.
I obviously don't know Ford's motivations, but the Mustang is outselling the Camaro by a huge margin right now. New, higher powered Camaros won't have better ergonomics or visibility.

Ford just doesn't need the GT500 right now. The Mustang is doing fine without it.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I obviously don't know Ford's motivations, but the Mustang is outselling the Camaro by a huge margin right now. New, higher powered Camaros won't have better ergonomics or visibility.

Ford just doesn't need the GT500 right now. The Mustang is doing fine without it.
While Mustang sales in general are doing well, interest in the GT350 is declining, which is normally the time you start taking about the next offering to keep people interested. When you have a die hard Ford fan like me in a competitor's car that should be pretty telling about how late to the game Ford is with the GT500.
Sponsored

Last edited: