Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.adamjdesign.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I can't remember where I read that but when I was looking up the bolt part numbers on Ford parts websites, they say "one time use" or "do not reuse". Something along those lines. I did notice that the originals appeared to have blue Locktite on them so maybe that's the reason? I'm definitely replacing mine. Should have the new ones today. It's too cheap not to, to have that extra insurance IMO. That said, I would probably at least add some more locktite to them to be safe.

What concerned me was that I actually snapped one of the factory bolts, trying to get them off. It was one of the smaller ones (I think 14mm) that hold that caliper/piston to the assembly in the rear. Luckily I was able to back out the broken part without too much issue.That's what got me going down the road of replacing them anyway.

EDIT: Here are the bolt numbers for your information:

Front: W716471S439

Rear: W715623S439 (I believe these are the larger 18mm that hold the assembly to the rotor)
FR3Z2C150C (These are the smaller 14mm (I think) bolts that hold the piston to the assembly (and one that I snapped))
Well, shit. Now I am concerned about the bolts too. Ugh, looks like the wheels will come off once again. Lol. The bolts did tighten down good though.
Sponsored

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford mustang gt non pp
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't replace any bolts or torque down all you need is blue locktite and crank down.

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still waiting for this to get resolved. I'm really get annoyed at this point. It's been over a week since I reported to them that they sent me the wrong rotors for the front. I got the original order quicker than they can seem to send me the replacement rotors. Meanwhile, my car is un-drivable. Not sure who to blame at this point. PowerStop, or the company/distributor I purchased from...

In any case, question for the rest of you. Did you replace any or all of the associated bolts? In doing some reading, I got the impression that the bolts should NOT be reused. That they're one time use only. Thoughts? To be on the same side, I ordered all new bolts anyway but was curious.

Lastly, any idea's on torque settings for said bolts? There's a sticky I saw somewhere that discusses all of the different torque settings for suspension and brakes. It called for the following:

- Front brake caliper bolts = 85 ft-lbs
- Rear brake caliper bolts = 24 ft-lbs

Does that sound right? Also, since I've only done the rears so far, I'm a little confused as to which bolts they are referring to. There are 18mm bolts that hold the caliper assembly to the rotor and then, I believe, 14mm bolts that hold the actual caliper/piston to the caliper assembly. Which of those should be 24 ft-lbs and what should the other be? Any ideas?
Bolts are reusable just use blue locktite

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still waiting for this to get resolved. I'm really get annoyed at this point. It's been over a week since I reported to them that they sent me the wrong rotors for the front. I got the original order quicker than they can seem to send me the replacement rotors. Meanwhile, my car is un-drivable. Not sure who to blame at this point. PowerStop, or the company/distributor I purchased from...

In any case, question for the rest of you. Did you replace any or all of the associated bolts? In doing some reading, I got the impression that the bolts should NOT be reused. That they're one time use only. Thoughts? To be on the same side, I ordered all new bolts anyway but was curious.

Lastly, any idea's on torque settings for said bolts? There's a sticky I saw somewhere that discusses all of the different torque settings for suspension and brakes. It called for the following:

- Front brake caliper bolts = 85 ft-lbs
- Rear brake caliper bolts = 24 ft-lbs

Does that sound right? Also, since I've only done the rears so far, I'm a little confused as to which bolts they are referring to. There are 18mm bolts that hold the caliper assembly to the rotor and then, I believe, 14mm bolts that hold the actual caliper/piston to the caliper assembly. Which of those should be 24 ft-lbs and what should the other be? Any ideas?
Why not just put your factory rotors back on for now

5-OH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I ordered the same z26 powerstop kit for the front and rear from AM, however they’re on back order and have been for months. You guys got me thinking maybe I should cancel my order, seems they can’t get their $hit together.

Sponsored

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered the same z26 powerstop kit for the front and rear from AM, however they’re on back order and have been for months. You guys got me thinking maybe I should cancel my order, seems they can’t get their $hit together.
I got my powerstop brakes and rotors with no issues. I got them thru AM.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
Why not just put your factory rotors back on for now
The fronts ARE still the factory. I never took them apart since luckily I noticed that the new rotors were 6 lug right away. The rears currently have the new Powerstop slotted/drilled rotors and pads but they sent me the wrong clips so I'm using the old rusty ones for now. I actually had to order the correct parts myself from Rock Auto. Will have to take everything apart now that I have the new clips and just got all new bolts. Technically the car can drive, I'm just not comfortable driving it around with the old bolts, old clips, and factory front brakes that are shot.

As for this brake fiasco. Here's a summary of what went down. I should add that this is NOT from AM although I believe all of the distributors that deal with PowerStop simply drop ship from the factory. I dealt with a small, family owned company (through their own website, not ebay) specializing in brakes. While I'm not happy with the service overall, or the outcome, I don't want to totally throw them under the bus because I'm not sure it was entirely their fault, but I do not think they did enough to fix it (just my opinion).

Anyway:

8/24/18 (Fri) - Ordered full front/rear slotted/drilled brakes from seller.

8/27/18 (Mon) - Order shipped

8/29/18 (Wed) - Order Received. I should've checked the boxes right away, but didn't.

9/01/18 (Sat) - Planned to start working on it. Found incorrect front rotors. Sent email. Worked on rears instead. Actually got a response from the seller, apologizing and saying he would have it handled right after labor day weekend. Followed up with an email later telling them that the rear clips were also incorrect.

9/04/18 (Tues) - Labor Day is over. Thus begins the back and forth of me asking for an update on the correct rotors and them placating me, telling me they've sent the orders in to Powerstop.

9/07/18 (Fri) - Sent my own email to PowerStop customer service, explaining the shit show that was under way.

9/09/18 (Sun) - Over a week since reporting the problem. I've got absolutely nothing. No info about it shipping. No tracking number. Nothing. Just the same old "I've sent notes to PowerStop every time you've emailed me" response. At this point, I made the implied threat that I would contact my credit card company to dispute the charge if I didn't have a definitive resolution within the next couple days.

9/10/18 (Mon) - Get an email showing that my entire purchase from the seller was refunded, followed by an email stating that he didn't want to deal with this anymore so he refunded my money. I would be receiving shipping labels soon to ship everything back. I replied that the rears were already on and broken in. He told me to keep them for all of my aggravation.

9/11/18 (Tues) - Get an email from the Power Stop customer service rep apologizing for all of this and telling me that they have a bunch of new people working there and apparently having issues with getting things addressed in a timely manner. I let her know that the seller basically canceled the transaction with me but is letting me keep the rears. Need to figure out how to get the fronts ASAP, either directly through them somehow, or through another seller. Really need them here by Friday (9/14) as I took the day off to finish this, while the hurricane rages on outside the garage.

So here I am. Not as important but I forgot to mention throughout that time frame I also had to go out on my own to purchase the correct clips for the rears since the seller wasn't confident that I would get the correct ones through PowerStop. At one point we cross checked the part numbers I received and they all seemed right so that means things were packaged incorrectly at the factory, I guess. I dunno but maybe it is time to go back to OEM parts...:headbang:

EDIT: Just got a call from a really nice PowerStop customer service rep. She was extremely apologetic for the issue and that this hadn't been handled yet. She is working with the seller and will overnight me the correct parts so hopefully I can get the car fixed up Friday, as planned. I can't say that I like how this all went down but I am grateful that they're taking ownership and doing what they can to resolve it now that it's finally come to their attention. Fingers crossed...

Last edited:

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The fronts ARE still the factory. I never took them apart since luckily I noticed that the new rotors were 6 lug right away. The rears currently have the new Powerstop slotted/drilled rotors and pads but they sent me the wrong clips so I'm using the old rusty ones for now. I actually had to order the correct parts myself from Rock Auto. Will have to take everything apart now that I have the new clips and just got all new bolts. Technically the car can drive, I'm just not comfortable driving it around with the old bolts, old clips, and factory front brakes that are shot.

As for this brake fiasco. Here's a summary of what went down. I should add that this is NOT from AM although I believe all of the distributors that deal with PowerStop simply drop ship from the factory. I dealt with a small, family owned company (through their own website, not ebay) specializing in brakes. While I'm not happy with the service overall, or the outcome, I don't want to totally throw them under the bus because I'm not sure it was entirely their fault, but I do not think they did enough to fix it (just my opinion).

Anyway:

8/24/18 (Fri) - Ordered full front/rear slotted/drilled brakes from seller.

8/27/18 (Mon) - Order shipped

8/29/18 (Wed) - Order Received. I should've checked the boxes right away, but didn't.

9/01/18 (Sat) - Planned to start working on it. Found incorrect front rotors. Sent email. Worked on rears instead. Actually got a response from the seller, apologizing and saying he would have it handled right after labor day weekend. Followed up with an email later telling them that the rear clips were also incorrect.

9/04/18 (Tues) - Labor Day is over. Thus begins the back and forth of me asking for an update on the correct rotors and them placating me, telling me they've sent the orders in to Powerstop.

9/07/18 (Fri) - Sent my own email to PowerStop customer service, explaining the shit show that was under way.

9/09/18 (Sun) - Over a week since reporting the problem. I've got absolutely nothing. No info about it shipping. No tracking number. Nothing. Just the same old "I've sent notes to PowerStop every time you've emailed me" response. At this point, I made the implied threat that I would contact my credit card company to dispute the charge if I didn't have a definitive resolution within the next couple days.

9/10/18 (Mon) - Get an email showing that my entire purchase from the seller was refunded, followed by an email stating that he didn't want to deal with this anymore so he refunded my money. I would be receiving shipping labels soon to ship everything back. I replied that the rears were already on and broken in. He told me to keep them for all of my aggravation.

9/11/18 (Tues) - Get an email from the Power Stop customer service rep apologizing for all of this and telling me that they have a bunch of new people working there and apparently having issues with getting things addressed in a timely manner. I let her know that the seller basically canceled the transaction with me but is letting me keep the rears. Need to figure out how to get the fronts ASAP, either directly through them somehow, or through another seller. Really need them here by Friday (9/14) as I took the day off to finish this, while the hurricane rages on outside the garage.

So here I am. Not as important but I forgot to mention throughout that time frame I also had to go out on my own to purchase the correct clips for the rears since the seller wasn't confident that I would get the correct ones through PowerStop. At one point we cross checked the part numbers I received and they all seemed right so that means things were packaged incorrectly at the factory, I guess. I dunno but maybe it is time to go back to OEM parts...:headbang:
Okay let me start by saying I am 53 yrs and went to automotive technical school at age 19. I worked for several ford dealerships and chevy and then was hired by the FBI as their head automotive tech in NYC. I learned always by parts from a big distributor!! Also You do not need to replace any of the bolts or clips. I only replace when stripped or broken. Just like steeda Sent me the jack rails I reused the factory bolts.
I been using powerstop from American muscle never a issue. I would just ask for your money back and order from AM. I have removed my brakes several times and the clips with no issues. To many people think you can't reuse a bolt even with nylon nuts..locktite does wonders

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay let me start by saying I am 53 yrs and went to automotive technical school at age 19. I worked for several ford dealerships and chevy and then was hired by the FBI as their head automotive tech in NYC. I learned always by parts from a big distributor!! Also You do not need to replace any of the bolts or clips. I only replace when stripped or broken. Just like steeda Sent me the jack rails I reused the factory bolts.
I been using powerstop from American muscle never a issue. I would just ask for your money back and order from AM. I have removed my brakes several times and the clips with no issues. To many people think you can't reuse a bolt even with nylon nuts..locktite does wonders
Well, the good news is it looks like a resolution is finally in the works and at the moment, it looks like it may be that I get my entire braking setup for free. PowerStop is going to get me the correct rotors by Thursday.

Yes, it seems like the bolts can be reused but after breaking one (and not having locktite around) I spent ~$20 to get all new ones for the front and rear. I also have the new clips ready to go. Just need those front rotors and I can finish this up once and for all!

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, the good news is it looks like a resolution is finally in the works and at the moment, it looks like it may be that I get my entire braking setup for free. PowerStop is going to get me the correct rotors by Thursday.

Yes, it seems like the bolts can be reused but after breaking one (and not having locktite around) I spent ~$20 to get all new ones for the front and rear. I also have the new clips ready to go. Just need those front rotors and I can finish this up once and for all!
Brakes are done! Got the correct replacement rotors on Thursday. Took Friday off of work and worked on the car all day. I ended up basically taking the rears completely apart so I could put in the correct brake pad clips and replace all of the bolts with new (as discussed above). Everything worked out pretty well. Brakes look great and seem to be working. Not a sound from them.

I did have one minor issue on the first front brake caliper that I did. I accidentally loosened one of the bolts that actually holds the 2 sides of the caliper together, instead of the bolts that hold the caliper in place. Doing so apparently allowed it to split open just enough for brake fluid to start dripping. It took me by surprise for a second but I realized my mistake pretty quickly and tightened it back down. Everything else went well. I think I need to bleed that one caliper as the pedal feels a bit soft and I'm guessing I have air in the system. I'll have to have my girlfriend give me a hand with that.

Sponsored

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, I changed out the RockAuto rotors on the rear (both sides) of my car this past Saturday. The new ones I put on were from AmericanMuscle. They were the one plane kind and the noise is gone!!!!!!!!!!!! The basic set-up from Ford is a one plane design on the Ecoboost rear brakes (non-performance). The front end make the same noise, but much much softer. I will go ahead and order the front (2 plane rotor) from AM as soon as I have the money. The people at AM were saying that the rotors could be warped to start with from RockAuto. Since the "warranty" from RockAuto is out and their customer service is basically non-existent... I will no longer be using them.

Anyone know if the rotors can be fixed or trued? If not, anyone need some shiny paper weights?
Still kinda curious about this. As I just stated, I finally got mine all finished up. My rear rotors from Powerstop were definitely "2 plane" vented rotors. I believe the original rears are as well (I still have them laying in the garage, will have to check). I was under the impression that all of the Mustang models (except maybe the GT350) had the same rear brakes but it's starting to seem like maybe that's not the case.

Along with the correct front rotors, they also included the corrected stainless steel brake pad clips for my rear. They gave me both the correct ones, and the skinnier ones that didn't fit and were way too narrow. Those skinnier ones make me think that there is indeed a different brake for the Ecoboost model in the rear.

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You should not play your brakes if you don't know what you are doing !!!! Especially with new cars not trying to be a dick. You can kill yourself and others

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should not play your brakes if you don't know what you are doing !!!! Especially with new cars not trying to be a dick. You can kill yourself and others
Not sure who, or what, you're talking about....

Are you referring to the fact that I accidentally loosened one of my front caliper bolts and few drops of brake fluid leaked out? I appreciate the concern but let's not be drama queens about it, please. I assure you that I spent a ton of time researching how to do this, watching videos, reading articles, buying tools, etc., before attempting it.The good news about it is that I didn't make the same mistake on the other side! That's because I LEARNED from my mistake while working on my own car! I only wish more people could learn from theirs.

OP
OP
IkoIko420

IkoIko420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.adamjdesign.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
OK, so the noise is GONE!! I switched the drilled and slotted rotors for just regular smooth zinc plated silver rotors. No noise, good braking... I am done with it. One the other hand, I now have a set and 1/2 of really nice paper weights!!
IMG_0479.JPG

OP
OP
IkoIko420

IkoIko420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.adamjdesign.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
So, new question. WTF do I do with these rotors? They are new enough to not want to scrap them, but, can I resell them?
Sponsored