2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

1bad66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT PP1, '66 Mustang, '18 BMW X3, '97 Tacoma
Yeah true, didn’t think about the Bullitt.
Sponsored

MTECH6G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Anyone have the dyno # for pp2? Don’t really want to read 226 pages to find out...

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Yup the MotoIQ tests have excellent information in a very clear and concise review of all 3 power packs.

Helped me decide on PP1 for my needs

Sponsored

Supermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt pp with recaros
16D782F4-A347-4177-87EC-69C6AD43DDE6.jpeg
I own a 17 Mustang gt pp. “my wife love the grabberblue color” anyway I have been so disappointed with this car. From 1k-4K rpm it felt so slow and lazy the only thing that stop me from trading it in was all the money I was goin to lost.

I bought the ford power pack 2 last month, last Friday the dealer install it. Let me tell you something guys on my way home I became emotional to the point were my eyes became red. It was like driving a different car the acceleration from 1k rpm it felt amazing I know this sound cliche but it felt like the engine have woke up.

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
I still find it astonishing that people can call a 400+ HP car slow! 20 years ago 400+ HP was supercar territory, Anyway yes Power Pack 2 is phenominal for what you get.

1bad66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT PP1, '66 Mustang, '18 BMW X3, '97 Tacoma
For a car with variable valve timing you'd think it would have a lot more grunt under 4k but with the factory tuning it's pretty lazy. Sure it's a 400+ hp car but the power comes on like a 2 stroke instead of being full of low end grunt as you'd expect from a V-8. Power Pack tuning just proves it's capable of that low end power but the stock tune is just lazy.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
I still find it astonishing that people can call a 400+ HP car slow! 20 years ago 400+ HP was supercar territory, Anyway yes Power Pack 2 is phenominal for what you get.
20 years ago cars weren't this heavy. My 99 camaro SS went 12.9 @ 108 mph bone stock. Supposedly they were severely under rated but advertised at only 325 hp. My 15 GT same track same driver "me" with 435 hp only went 13.0 @ 110 mph. So yes 435 hp with stock tune was quite underwhelming. It's more about hp to weight ratio than just having 400+ hp. Now with the PP2 tune I'm hitting 115 mph which is were it should of been at from the factory.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Also keep in mind, that power rating certification has changed over the years. Power is measured in a different way, so the numbers from 20 years ago would be different if redone today.

Power ratings are also not taking into account things like the A/C compressor load, full alternator load, etc. Sometimes on these dynamometer plots people present on this website I wonder if they remembered to turn the A/C off.

Sponsored

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
Also keep in mind, that power rating certification has changed over the years. Power is measured in a different way, so the numbers from 20 years ago would be different if redone today.

Power ratings are also not taking into account things like the A/C compressor load, full alternator load, etc. Sometimes on these dynamometer plots people present on this website I wonder if they remembered to turn the A/C off.
True, but didn't the power rating certification become tougher, meaning more conservative? I remember the 2005 4.0L Tacomas were rated at 245hp, a few years later after the certification changes, they were rated at 236hp with zero change to the engine or tune. So ratings 20 years ago were inflated by today's standards. What would a bone stock gen2 Coyote be rated at under the old standard? closer to 450?

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
True, but didn't the power rating certification become tougher, meaning more conservative? I remember the 2005 4.0L Tacomas were rated at 245hp, a few years later after the certification changes, they were rated at 236hp with zero change to the engine or tune. So ratings 20 years ago were inflated by today's standards. What would a bone stock gen2 Coyote be rated at under the old standard? closer to 450?
Any change in certification can move the rating on a particular engine either way. Some go up, some go down.

Wikipedia said:
A few manufacturers such as Honda and Toyota switched to the new ratings immediately, with multi-directional results; the rated output of Cadillac's supercharged Northstar V8 jumped from 440 to 469 hp (328 to 350 kW) under the new tests, while the rating for Toyota'sCamry 3.0 L 1MZ-FE V6 fell from 210 to 190 hp (160 to 140 kW). The company's Lexus ES 330 and Camry SE V6 were previously rated at 225 hp (168 kW) but the ES 330 dropped to 218 hp (163 kW) while the Camry declined to 210 hp (160 kW). The first engine certified under the new program was the 7.0 L LS7 used in the 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06. Certified power rose slightly from 500 to 505 hp (373 to 377 kW).
Peak horsepower is just a tough thing to measure on an internal combustion engine. Partly because there is really no way to measure the power being used by the engine to run itself at any given shaft speed and external load... both of which vary. So you take the best measurement you can and try to apply that to different crank/rod/piston geometry.

Maoilearca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 GT Auto Coupe (Guard). FP PP2
Help!

I had the Power Pack 2 installed by Ford on my 2016 Mustang GT last June - brilliant and well worth it.
I’ve just got one problem/question: is it possible to use the ProCal3 software (connected to the OBD port) that comes with it to check if the PP2 tune is still on the car or if it has been wiped off (re-flashed)? I ask because, when I later had my car serviced at a different Ford dealer in August, the power does not seem to be as obvious. Now this may be just because I’ve got used to the extra power, but I’d like to make sure.

I told the Ford dealer before the service that the PP2 was installed, but that doesn’t mean they didn’t re-flash the car anyway (by accident). I could ask them now, of course, but I doubt if I could trust their answer (not because they are lying but just because they wouldn’t know for sure).

So, how do I check if it is still on there? Does the ProCal3 software only install the tune? Or should I buy a little OBD2 Scan Tool (they work with your IPhone) – and that might be able to tell me?

Any help appreciated

John (based in UK)

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Help!

I had the Power Pack 2 installed by Ford on my 2016 Mustang GT last June - brilliant and well worth it.
I’ve just got one problem/question: is it possible to use the ProCal3 software (connected to the OBD port) that comes with it to check if the PP2 tune is still on the car or if it has been wiped off (re-flashed)? I ask because, when I later had my car serviced at a different Ford dealer in August, the power does not seem to be as obvious. Now this may be just because I’ve got used to the extra power, but I’d like to make sure.

I told the Ford dealer before the service that the PP2 was installed, but that doesn’t mean they didn’t re-flash the car anyway (by accident). I could ask them now, of course, but I doubt if I could trust their answer (not because they are lying but just because they wouldn’t know for sure).

So, how do I check if it is still on there? Does the ProCal3 software only install the tune? Or should I buy a little OBD2 Scan Tool (they work with your IPhone) – and that might be able to tell me?

Any help appreciated

John (based in UK)
The rev limit is increased in the power pack 2. If the fun stops at 7000 you have the stock tune.

Maoilearca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 GT Auto Coupe (Guard). FP PP2
The rev limit is increased in the power pack 2. If the fun stops at 7000 you have the stock tune.
Good point – and the max revs go from something like 6750 to 7250: so hopefully quite visible on the dial
Sponsored