Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
I've ordered a JLT CAI, and I'm having it shipped to work so I can install it as soon as I get it.

Can ya'll help me out with a list of tools to bring from home please?

My tools, after decades of use and abuse, are piled in a plastic bin, so I can't neatly just bring what I think I'll need in an organized manner. So it would be helpful if I could get a proper list of needed tools.

Thanks in advance!!!
Sponsored

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford mustang gt non pp
Vehicle Showcase
If you are going to play car mechanic you might as well buy a nice set of tools. Lowes sell a craftsman for under 100.00. It will also fit in your spare tire compartment.
What about the tune for the JLT ??

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
If you are going to play car mechanic you might as well buy a nice set of tools. Lowes sell a craftsman for under 100.00. It will also fit in your spare tire compartment.
What about the tune for the JLT ??
I have all the tools, just gotta sort through them.

As far as a tune, I have a Bama 93R/JLT intake tune, but if you have a better suggestion for a tune, I'm all ears.

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I use bama tunes and going to try lunds tunes. Once you get the JLT in keep a screw driver with you in your car. Sometimes the clamps loosen up. I check mine once in a while. Enjoy

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
Thanks, that's very helpful. Now to go search through the jumbled mess called my tools, and find everything. Just ordered the JLT, and I already have the Bama tune to go with it. I should receive the JLT on Friday.

Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
That bama tune tho...

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That bama tune tho...
I use bama and Brenspeed tunes for years never a issue. The car pulls and responds aggressively. I did have a dyno tune done and wasn't happy with it. So I put back the bama for now. I am going to try Lund racing tune next.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
  • Banned
Well, it's in.

I did the install at 0-dark-thirty in the morning, in my apartment building parking lot, started while it was still dark, my flash-light stopped working (of course), the installation instructions were shit, and I was on a time-crunch to get it done and get to work.

upload_2018-9-22_12-37-20.png

Of course the 2016s have this one weird connector that isn't push-pull removal, and that was a PITA to figure out.

If anyone knows what this was supposed to be used for, let me know. It was in the bag with the MAFS gasket, and one other screw. There's a screw in it, but I couldn't get it out to use it. I ended up using the OEM screws to install the MAFS.
upload_2018-9-22_12-38-29.png

Then, the electrical cable for the MAFS was just barely long enough after disconnecting the grommet that holds it to the body. I'm a bit worried about that;

upload_2018-9-22_12-39-30.png

So, it's been running great for two days now. There is that great induction sound that makes the car sound alive, really love that. There's definitely more power, but the intake temps are actually higher, not lower. Obviously this CAI isn't "cold", but it allows for better intake breathing, no doubt. The acceleration is frantic, scrambling forward, much improved.

I'm still worried that the supplied duct inside the CAI that is supposed to connect to the OEM intake tube at the grill isn't tucked in properly, they didn't match up well at all. The CAI filter tub seems to sit too high to align those tubes properly.

Dunno, I like the end result, but I'm not impressed with the product's fit into the car. And really, the instructions need to be much more detailed.

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Please do not take this with offense!!!! The JLT is one of the easiest Cai to install if you don't know what you are doing it's a nightmare.. The MAF is not a normal release to someone who is not familiar with cars. So first off you need to make sure that the MAF is secure and doesn't loosen up. If you watch cj ponys videos you can learn a lot. These new cars can be easily damaged by incorrect installs. And costly to fix !! Any questions on something please feel free to pm me.

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Please do not take this with offense!!!! The JLT is one of the easiest Cai to install if you don't know what you are doing it's a nightmare.. The MAF is not a normal release to someone who is not familiar with cars. So first off you need to make sure that the MAF is secure and doesn't loosen up. If you watch cj ponys videos you can learn a lot. These new cars can be easily damaged by incorrect installs. And costly to fix !! Any questions on something please feel free to pm me.
It's.....it's installed. Everything is fine, it was pretty easy to do. CJ Pony's video was as helpful as a bag of rocks.

Sponsored

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's.....it's installed. Everything is fine, it was pretty easy to do. CJ Pony's video was as helpful as a bag of rocks.
If you are not a mechanic or mechanical inclined. I have seen him make slight errors on his videos and if you weren't on the ball you would miss them. Just make sure you have that MAF secured. Also the snorkel that goes to the grille does fit you just have to work it in. What I did was use a self tapping screw once the snorkel was fitted correctly I screwed it into the snorkel in front of the box so it would not move in anymore. I also opened up the blocked off holes on the grille where the snorkel fits for more airflow. I used a big ass drill bit

OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
If you are not a mechanic or mechanical inclined. I have seen him make slight errors on his videos and if you weren't on the ball you would miss them. Just make sure you have that MAF secured. Also the snorkel that goes to the grille does fit you just have to work it in. What I did was use a self tapping screw once the snorkel was fitted correctly I screwed it into the snorkel in front of the box so it would not move in anymore. I also opened up the blocked off holes on the grille where the snorkel fits for more airflow. I used a big ass drill bit
Well, like I said, it's installed and all good. I've done suspension, tune-ups (that's how old I am), exhaust, fluid changes, etc., for years. Living in an apartment now, it's hard to do anything.

I will look into opening up the grill where the snorkel is, that sounds like I good idea. I was thinking using my Dremel.

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, like I said, it's installed and all good. I've done suspension, tune-ups (that's how old I am), exhaust, fluid changes, etc., for years. Living in an apartment now, it's hard to do anything.

I will look into opening up the grill where the snorkel is, that sounds like I good idea. I was thinking using my Dremel.
The dremel makes a mess by melting the really big drill bit works great..
I am 53 went to automotive technical school in the early 80s and worked for dealerships and back then you did not replace parts you diagnosed it and rebuilt it.
I did a lot of work in my apartment complex even my springs and exhaust parking spaces were wide. Did it in between cars. Lol
Sponsored