SYNC 3 swap, It's all in here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alerkz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
With the custom harness do I still have to buy the other parts above from that section? Where can I buy it?
Sponsored

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If you buy the custom harness, I think it is made to use the stock speakers. If you wanted to use an outboard amp, I think you have to buy the main custom harness, plus the other harnesses Spart referred to.

You also need the components listed (Bezel, Screen, APIM and if you want to change the head unit for XM or Nav, then you need the ACM also.

I don't think anyone with a 2018 has posted in here that everything works (I might be wrong, but I did read through all 69 pages 2 weeks ago). Hopefully some early 2018+ adopters will chime in and confirm if it works. If the 2018 bezel is different, then it might cause a host of other issues.

Alerkz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
If you buy the custom harness, I think it is made to use the stock speakers. If you wanted to use an outboard amp, I think you have to buy the main custom harness, plus the other harnesses Spart referred to.

You also need the components listed (Bezel, Screen, APIM and if you want to change the head unit for XM or Nav, then you need the ACM also.

I don't think anyone with a 2018 has posted in here that everything works (I might be wrong, but I did read through all 69 pages 2 weeks ago). Hopefully some early 2018+ adopters will chime in and confirm if it works. If the 2018 bezel is different, then it might cause a host of other issues.
I have the USB hub for the center console, on Monday I'm going to go junkyard hopping to see if I can get a screen and premium bezel, atm I'm not interested in nav and I read on his notes that I can use my stock ACM. I'm willing to give it a shot and see if it works for the 2018 by just having the 8" screen and premium bezel then go on adding stuff. 4DTech lists their "kit" to be compatible with the 2018 I was just wondering if the harness from Hextall would be the same plug and play or if I have to buy extra stuff, which I don't mind

SgtF

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Flint
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Wow this was a lot to plow through. I just got my 2017 GT base yesterday so anxious to get the Android Auto available with the Sync 3 swap. Thanks to everyone that contributed. Will start looking for Bezel and APIM next week. Seems like a good support system here.

Greek6486

@Gt_supercharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hi guys,

I am trying to swap my 4" sync for a sync3 that I bought with bezel and apim, and I am totally stuck trying to find someone to program my car to work with it properly. Can anyone help me out? I've seen one company with a "can opener" thing you plug in, maybe someone has that I could buy? I'm in Maryland if anyone is near here.

Sponsored

rii_505

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricardo
Vehicle(s)
Mustang ecoboost 2018
Hi guys,

I am trying to swap my 4" sync for a sync3 that I bought with bezel and apim, and I am totally stuck trying to find someone to program my car to work with it properly. Can anyone help me out? I've seen one company with a "can opener" thing you plug in, maybe someone has that I could buy? I'm in Maryland if anyone is near here.
you don't need the "can opener" to program your car, just follow the guide Hextalls550 provided in the first page, basically all you need is a OBD II and a computer, also if you don't have the wiring harness he makes them for a good price.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Saw a few mentions about ACMs and NAV. Your ACM has nothing to do with NAV capability. That is solely a function of the APIM
Speaking of NAV, my honest recommendation is use to Google Maps. I've been running Android Auto on a borrowed Samsung S8 and it's better than factory by far. All the "OK, Google" stuff is pretty sweet. If Ford doesn't offer Sync 3.X with Google Maps soon I may switch from Apple for good.

OP
OP
HextallS550

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Hi guys,

This is exactly why we offer as built worksheets to harness customers for free. Too many questions concerning "how" and "what" to change.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Saw a few mentions about ACMs and NAV. Your ACM has nothing to do with NAV capability. That is solely a function of the APIM
Speaking of NAV, my honest recommendation is use to Google Maps. I've been running Android Auto on a borrowed Samsung S8 and it's better than factory by far. All the "OK, Google" stuff is pretty sweet. If Ford doesn't offer Sync 3.X with Google Maps soon I may switch from Apple for good.
I got a notification about Google Maps on iOS12 today. Update in Appstore says that GoogleMaps ist CarPlay enabled now. ;)

rii_505

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricardo
Vehicle(s)
Mustang ecoboost 2018
for those who have a jailbroken iphone running IOS 11.3.1 there's an app NGXplay which allows you to mirror your iphone screen so you can use any app on carplay :)

Sponsored

Brian_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
See username
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 3.7L, 2016 Explorer 3.5L
Apple CarPlay is now able to use Google Maps for navigation and it works very well. :rockon:

NAiI0Hu.jpg

Lubner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I completed swap Base to Sync 3 now I have no FM or AM anyone have this problem? Everything else works fine.

Lubner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
All good the installation completed! Big thanks to Hextall for his help and making a great product!
Installation was so simple and the harness was great quality.

SgtF

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Flint
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I just spoke to Mike R about the replacement bezels. He said he can't get them right now. He has one on back order since June. It looks like the bezel without the heated seat controls is not an option right now. Waiting on word back on some other parts as well. Just a warning to folks that are working on this.

ghostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2017 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
This is exactly why we offer as built worksheets to harness customers for free. Too many questions concerning "how" and "what" to change.
If you are planning on doing the sync 3 mod, you can't go wrong with Hextall's re-pin N' play harness or plug N' play harness. He provides an as build worksheet with the harnesses and free support. I just completed the swap and his support was phenomenal. :handsinair: Thanks again Hextall! :like:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.