Sponsored

Aussie views on Auto v Manual

Oz6Gstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'Considering' MY19 Mustang GT, AMG A45, NC MX5
ok guys I've seen plenty on the US sites and on YouTube (eg Zander 13, StangMode, ThatOrangeGT) on the Auto v Manual arguments. No doubt the 10 speed is a drag weapon, but the manual is for some drivers a more "connected" experience (especially if you like throttle overrun and blipping on down shifts!)

Having a 7sp DCT AMG A45 and a 6 speed manual MX5 - I love both transmissions. So what do the Aussies think are the pros and cons?! It's a tough decision choosing for a MY 19. Cheers
Sponsored

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Lightning Blue
I use my manual Ecoboost everyday for work, around Sydney. I don't find it a problem in traffic which, I try to avoid. The benefits & fun factor outweigh the small inconvenience,

FMGTV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
use to own - "2017 Mustang GT V8 Ruby Red Manual"
Auto vs Manual ?

Only answer can be .....

MUSTANG V8 :like: = Fun Driving :clap: = MANUAL ONLY :like::like::like:

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Well I think that my 10 speed auto is the bees knees and it also bleeps very nicely on auto downshifts when in sport mode.

Sponsored

Al_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST, MY19 Mustang GT (Race Red, Manual, Fastback) - Australian Delivery
I ordered the manual. I just couldn't bring myself to get the auto.The driver involvement cannot be duplicated.
That's not to say the auto isn't a game changer. Ford (and GM), have done a great job with the new unit.
I won't have a hope of staying with a planted auto. Its really no contest - way quicker.
So much so, I'm looking at dropping in the 3.73 Torsen diff to make up for the too-tall gearing in the MT82-D4 box.
Try to lift it off the line a bit. Also enjoy rowing through the gears a little more, that's what you get a manual for in the first place.
I agree with the OP, Ford has made it a very tough call.
Al.

Mustang madness2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
MY19, MUSTANG GT. AUTO, RUBY RED.
I went with the auto due to my bad knees and bad lower back,pushing a clutch in when you get gout
in your knee and foot just doesn't make driving a manual fun,also eating food while driving is much
easier in the auto when in traffic.:ninja::like:

Al_5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST, MY19 Mustang GT (Race Red, Manual, Fastback) - Australian Delivery
To be clear, I believe the auto is the superior choice. It makes the better use of the power-train and delivers on the performance potential.
I'm just pissed because I have to spend a truck load of extra cash to recover (some) of the deficit in the manual.
Al.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Never even considered an automatic.

Would have bought a manual even if it was a four speed.

I'm not sure how many realise this, but the manual six speed runs up against the speed limiter at 250kph in forth (still 700rpm short of redline).......the last two gears are for slow.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Oz6Gstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'Considering' MY19 Mustang GT, AMG A45, NC MX5
Auto, its a daily driver and thats where manual isn't fun.
Anyone able to compare the current Mustang 6 speed manual with the E or F series HSV GTS's? I had a GTS and never found the manual that bad in peak hour traffic. Yes clutching in and out ain't fun but....

Scroob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 19' ecoboost
I got manual on my 19' ecoboost. I had a corolla for 10 years and its being manual was the only thing that got me through it. The torque in the mustang amazes me though (even in the ecoboost), I can just clutch in an out, in stop start traffic without touching the accelerator. Makes it easier to drive a mustang in traffic than my old faithful corolla.

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Manual is a pieceo piss for commuting. If manual is your thing then dont be put off. Do recommend changing to steeda clutch spring though as stock feel is a bit vague

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
I had a manual 16 and just took delivery of an auto 19. This auto is honestly amazing, early days but I don't think I'll miss the manual daily driving into the city. Maybe on the odd weekend drive, but the paddles are actually pretty good and will hold you in gear. Very happy with my decision
Sponsored