Sponsored

MotoIQ - How to PROPERLY select & size TIRES for PERFORMANCE

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hey guys,

Did you hate MotoIQ's old layout with a black background? Did you also hate the lack of a quick-tab for a page function? (I know I did). Now their site is on a completely different platform. Be sure to check it out. If you have not read this article on how to size and select tires for performance, be sure to give this a read:

After years of testing and compiling data, I finally condensed everything I have learned down into one article on How to PROPERLY select and size TIRES for PERFORMANCE.

This article disproves a lot of common misconceptions (actually, almost every aspect of the tire from the UTQG and temperature to the labeled width of the tire) and challenges the typical thought process of how people look for new tires and gives a better alternative that will make sizing wheels and tires much easier in the future with less trial and error. The information here applies both for street cars as well as dedicated track cars.

"The most important part of your car is not the engine, suspension, or brakes. It’s the TIRES!!! This is because your car can only perform as well as the capability of its tires. I’m often asked which tire is best and what size to buy. In this article I discuss my methods for choosing and properly sizing the right tires. I’m not into the “hella-flush” or “stance” scenes so this article is focused towards those who care about the PERFORMANCE of their car, whether on the street or on the track."

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...LY-select-and-size-TIRES-for-PERFORMANCE.aspx

i-BFVBK2R-L.jpg

Billy
Sponsored

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Segmenting off something you alluded to:

I’ve found, mainly with autocross, but in some track situations, where you are limted/at the limit of camber and/or what can be done with roll stiffness, considering tire tread design, can sometimes require “over-tireing” more than “best practice” for working best. i.e a tread shoulder that quickly tapers very thin or shallow to the sidewall and not tolerating roll-over.

This is a very specific scenario, though. If you are able, everything you stated I’ve found as true.

OP
OP

BillyJRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
There are always exceptions to generalizations. AutoX has far lower loads than road courses or ovals, so the demands of the tire are much different and there are numerous fast autox cars that run very wide tires on relatively narrow wheels. I wonder if rules or price was no object if said cars would be faster with wider wheels.

In the case of limited camber, don't forget the importance wheel STIFFNESS plays. Lighter = softer and more camber compliance:

https://motoiq.com/tested-carbon-revolution-carbon-fiber-wheels/

^ALL of those concepts apply to aluminum wheels, not just carbon.

Thanks for contributing!

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
What I wish folks would create is a site that allows you to filter tires based on your wheel size. Fortunately I have a wheel that duplicates the size of an OE wheel so I can filter that way. But it would be nice to set your diameter and width and populate tire options to research as your website suggests.

Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
They make a good point here about tire widths. I met up with another member from here yesterday, he has stock Pirrellis on PP rims while I have 18+ MP4S on my car. The size difference is massive, it looks like I'm running 315's compared to his tires even though they're both 275/40 in the back and 255/40 in the front. My front 255's appear to be physically wider than his rear 275's.

2017GBGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Premium GTPP w/ Recaros
They make a good point here about tire widths. I met up with another member from here yesterday, he has stock Pirrellis on PP rims while I have 18+ MP4S on my car. The size difference is massive, it looks like I'm running 315's compared to his tires even though they're both 275/40 in the back and 255/40 in the front. My front 255's appear to be physically wider than his rear 275's.
Yea, the MP4S are made with a lip to protect the rim that actually widens the tire and makes for a noticeably bigger tread on the same size rim. One of the advantages to them, for sure.
Sponsored