AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Yeah really 5 lol.....too many!

1.Early fall 2016-My original intention was to keep the car stockish. To that end I replaced the stock resonator with an H pipe just looking for sound. This was a mistake because the car still wasn't loud enough and picked up some rasp. $120+$50 labor

2. Late fall 2016- Took off the H pipe and went with an MBRP street system. The car sounded better but was a bit raspy for my taste. Got lured in by the price, really wished I went with better active type system. $900+ $100 labor

a. Summer 2018-Went FI(so much for stock) and started getting nervous about the cats. Did 3" Mak cat delete. I was in Rasp hell!
b. Added Magnaflow 4" resonators. This was part of the plan so I list it as 3b. These toned down the rasp to the point the car was driveable but still too much for me. Between the parts, V band clamps, and labor this cost me about $1300 with labor.

4. Added Magnaflow 12229 mufflers. I think this cost about $300. (Love these mufflers)

The H pipe was a total waste....and the only thing left from the MBRP system is some of the piping. It's really a custom Frankenstein system that I spent way too much money on.

My advice to anyone is that if you have any thought of doing headers or Cat deletes....start there. Leave the rest of the system stock as possible and see how you like it. Most will likely still do a cat back but probably pick a more tame set up.

If your just looking for sound I would 100% either find a system that you've heard and love or do an active set up.
Sound advice...pun intended :cwl:

But seriously I agree and wish I had gone headers first and worked back as well. But at first I had literally no intentions of going that route. We all have a journey !
Sponsored

MaverickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Yeah really 5 lol.....too many!

1.Early fall 2016-My original intention was to keep the car stockish. To that end I replaced the stock resonator with an H pipe just looking for sound. This was a mistake because the car still wasn't loud enough and picked up some rasp. $120+$50 labor

2. Late fall 2016- Took off the H pipe and went with an MBRP street system. The car sounded better but was a bit raspy for my taste. Got lured in by the price, really wished I went with better active type system. $900+ $100 labor

a. Summer 2018-Went FI(so much for stock) and started getting nervous about the cats. Did 3" Mak cat delete. I was in Rasp hell!
b. Added Magnaflow 4" resonators. This was part of the plan so I list it as 3b. These toned down the rasp to the point the car was driveable but still too much for me. Between the parts, V band clamps, and labor this cost me about $1300 with labor.

4. Added Magnaflow 12229 mufflers. I think this cost about $300. (Love these mufflers)

The H pipe was a total waste....and the only thing left from the MBRP system is some of the piping. It's really a custom Frankenstein system that I spent way too much money on.

My advice to anyone is that if you have any thought of doing headers or Cat deletes....start there. Leave the rest of the system stock as possible and see how you like it. Most will likely still do a cat back but probably pick a more tame set up.

If your just looking for sound I would 100% either find a system that you've heard and love or do an active set up.
Good info.

Similar set up here. Went Whipple in May. I installed headers, catless with h-pipe recently as I didn't want to burn up the CATs also. I left the stock axle backs. It was way to loud and created a tinny sound. I replaced the axle backs with the FR Borla touring axle backs. The sound is good after it warms up from cold start and if I baby it in the low rpm range. It removed the tinny sound but is still way too loud going through the rpms. Sounds like a race car going down the track. I'm wondering if replacing the h-pipe combining the Magnaflow 12468 with the Vibrant resonators will quiet this down. Looking at their 18 inch bottle style.

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
My set-up was almost an exact copy of the OP's, which consisted of: Pypes LT's w/o cats, x-pipe, and Roush AB's. It was NASCAR loud.

The volume was enough to summon the Gods of War. ALL OF THEM!!

My car was obnoxious. I almost felt sorry for the peeps in my neighborhood when I would leave for work at 5am. The cold-star was sooooo bad, I had to start the car in the garage with the door closed, but then my family (that had been asleep to that point) had to suffer the brunt.

Long story short, and with a happy ending is: I replaced the x-pipe with a Borla/Ford Performance resonated x-pipe, and it completely changed the TONE of the exhaust. Most of the volume is still there, but the tone is deeper, and not nearly as obnoxious.

Now, I love it!

MaverickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

My car was obnoxious. I almost felt sorry for the peeps in my neighborhood when I would leave for work at 5am. The cold-star was sooooo bad, I had to start the car in the garage with the door closed, but then my family (that had been asleep to that point) had to suffer the brunt.
Sounds about right.

I ended up ordering the Borla touring resonator yesterday.

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
My set-up was almost an exact copy of the OP's, which consisted of: Pypes LT's w/o cats, x-pipe, and Roush AB's. It was NASCAR loud.

Long story short, and with a happy ending is: I replaced the x-pipe with a Borla/Ford Performance resonated x-pipe, and it completely changed the TONE of the exhaust. Most of the volume is still there, but the tone is deeper, and not nearly as obnoxious.

Now, I love it!
On your original setup was it welded or did you use clamps?

Sponsored

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
@MaverickGT I'd bet the Magnaflow 12468 welded in place of your H pipe would do the trick.

If I was 2.5" I would have went that route 100%.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
There's no sound level difference between high-flow cats and no cats.

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
On your original setup was it welded or did you use clamps?
Both the now removed x-pipe and the new-to-me Borla/Ford Performance resonated x-pipe were/are clamped in. I suppose I could have taken everything to a nearby shop and had it all welded in place, but there is no need because the clamps do an excellent job of keeping everything tight and in their proper place. As well, there are no leaks of any kind.

Please be aware that the Borla/FP resonated x-pipe is shorter in length than the x-pipe I had previously. I had to cut and re-use sections of the previous non-resonated x-pipe to make up the needed length. I used a second set of exhaust clamps post the resonated x-pipe. I sourced a second set of clamps from Amazon for about $12. I suppose I could take a picture of my set-up from underneath my car to give others a frame of reference?

And I reused the clamps that came with the (non-resonated) x-pipe when installing the Borla unit. FYI, I bought the Borla resonator used from another member here, and it did not come with an additional set of clamps.

For anyone running a super-loud, obnoxious, raspy exhaust system on their S550, I think the Borla/Ford Performance resonated x-pipe is an excellent option that gets rid of almost all of the rasp, slightly reduces the overall volume during moderate driving which makes the car a joy to drive on longer trips (freeway cruising), gives the car a deeper, classic, more muscle-car tone, but keeps ALL of the volume at WOT!!!

And it's a super-easy installation that you can do with a jack and jack-stands, two wrenches and a set of sockets/ratchets; thus no need to pay a shop to do any welding.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
The Vibrant's are 2.5 In/Out? Is there a 3" version for the Corsa catbacks?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. Vibrant 1794's are the 3" version, 12" long. 1795 is the 18" one.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Both the now removed x-pipe and the new-to-me Borla/Ford Performance resonated x-pipe were/are clamped in. I suppose I could have taken everything to a nearby shop and had it all welded in place, but there is no need because the clamps do an excellent job of keeping everything tight and in their proper place. As well, there are no leaks of any kind.

Please be aware that the Borla/FP resonated x-pipe is shorter in length than the x-pipe I had previously. I had to cut and re-use sections of the previous non-resonated x-pipe to make up the needed length. I used a second set of exhaust clamps post the resonated x-pipe. I sourced a second set of clamps from Amazon for about $12. I suppose I could take a picture of my set-up from underneath my car to give others a frame of reference?

And I reused the clamps that came with the (non-resonated) x-pipe when installing the Borla unit. FYI, I bought the Borla resonator used from another member here, and it did not come with an additional set of clamps.

For anyone running a super-loud, obnoxious, raspy exhaust system on their S550, I think the Borla/Ford Performance resonated x-pipe is an excellent option that gets rid of almost all of the rasp, slightly reduces the overall volume during moderate driving which makes the car a joy to drive on longer trips (freeway cruising), gives the car a deeper, classic, more muscle-car tone, but keeps ALL of the volume at WOT!!!

And it's a super-easy installation that you can do with a jack and jack-stands, two wrenches and a set of sockets/ratchets; thus no need to pay a shop to do any welding.
If you're talking about the Borla resonator that's part of their Touring catback for the 15-17 cars, that's actually an internal H-pipe, but resonated. Are you referring to something else?

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
The Vibrant's are 2.5 In/Out? Is there a 3" version for the Corsa catbacks?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it. Vibrant 1794's are the 3" version, 12" long. 1795 is the 18" one.
Correct 1794 3" in and out 12" total length.

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
If you're talking about the Borla resonator that's part of their Touring catback for the 15-17 cars, that's actually an internal H-pipe, but resonated. Are you referring to something else?
It is an internal, resonated "x-pipe", as you could almost see through it diagonally and see the perforated pipes curve toward the opposite side/end.

MaverickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

MaverickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Had the Borla touring resonator welded in place of the h-pipe this weekend. Finally, I can enjoy driving again.

5.oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford white 5.0
Check out this thread, its based on an 18' but same principle:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/toning-down-18gt-lth-exhaust.107307/#post-2308560

I just got done with my 4th exhaust set up and I am finally somewhat pleased. Here is the short version:

-If your still 2.5"...... the Magnaflow 12468 will pretty much kill the rasp. Some have used 2.5 to 3.0" adapters to make this work as well. Unfortunately they don't make this resonator in 3".

-If your 3" and keen to stay 3" bottle resonators as mentioned are the only way to go. They won't however reduce the rasp completely, more like 50% if I had to put a number on it. For me it took these and a muffler swap to get the sound manageable. I still wouldn't mind it being a tad quieter but its the best I can do while staying 3".

I have a mf 3” tru x sitting in my garage. Brand new
Sponsored