Sponsored

New 2019 MT-82 - advice needed

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
I just picked up a 2019 MT-82 GTPP2. It's got 150km on it and I have a really bad feeling there is something wrong with the transmission.

- shifter moves with throttle in 1st and 2nd. I have not taken the car past 4.5k rpm yet
- shifter popped out of 1st gear one time around 3.5k rpm. I was testing it because I thought it felt like it was going to pop out

Do I have a ticking time bomb on my hands? Should I just do some pulls to make sure the transmission holds or waste my time going back to the dealer?

I hate the feeling of needing a tow soon.
Sponsored

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
Drive it around normal, Do some rev matching downshifts and see if it pops out.. I just bought my18 and Transmission is amazing on it. Drive it around and if it fails just bring it in for warranty. Dont sweat it, that is why we all have warranty :)

Let me know

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
I just picked up a 2019 MT-82 GTPP2. It's got 150km on it and I have a really bad feeling there is something wrong with the transmission.

1.- shifter moves with throttle in 1st and 2nd. I have not taken the car past 4.5k rpm yet
2.- shifter popped out of 1st gear one time around 3.5k rpm. I was testing it because I thought it felt like it was going to pop out

Do I have a ticking time bomb on my hands? Should I just do some pulls to make sure the transmission holds or waste my time going back to the dealer?

I hate the feeling of needing a tow soon.
1. Not sure if you are just seeing a translation of powertrain/drivetrain movement through-and-to the shifter (yes, it is a semi-remote shifter, but there is still attachment).

2. I am assuming that the shifter popped out after you fully placed it into gear and then got on the throttle. If so, let me start off with some very basic tech knowledge on manual transmission internals:
What is it that is inside a manual transmission that actually locks you into a gear once you have fully moved the shifter? The answer is the speed gear itself, along with the blocker right/synchronizer (design dependant), provide the lock to the shiftfork sleeve, which is splined to the main shaft. But how exactly does it "lock"? There is a "back-cut" to the synchro teeth (A.K.A. "dog-teeth") that are on the speed gear and blocker ring/synchronizer. These teeth, the synchro/dog teeth are the little teeth that you see, in addition to the large teeth, on a transmission gear. If the back cut is damaged, manufactured wrong or designed incorrectly, a transmission will pop out of gear under normal use. Also see this old post of mine: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2551828-post3353.html

What I will tell you to do to test if you have an internal problem is this:
-Locate a road where you can get up to 45-55mph and that is safe for you to perform some accelerations and stops that would otherwise be odd to normal traffic.
-Place the transmission in the gear of concern and mildly accelerate* the car up to an RPM above 4,000 RPM. Once the RPM is reach, let off the accelerator and let the car slow by engine braking.
-Note if the transmission will pop out of gear. Repeat the above 5 or 6 times to ensure you get e thorough check. If the transmission pops out of gear, you have an issue with the speed gear or synchronizer assembly.
-The transmission should hold gear upon hard deceleration with engine braking.

*You can elect to accelerate at a fast rate, but it is unimportant; the point to to get up to at leas a high-middle RPM range to take advantage of engine braking for a fair duration of time on deceleration.

OP
OP

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Thanks for the advice guys. Took it to the dealer today. 1st gear popped out 2 times on the way over with very mild acceleration around 3.5/4k rpm. Went for a ride with a technician and he popped it 2 more times. They are reaching out to Ford Techs for further instructions.

As for the shifter play, I thought of that, but then either all gears move the shifter or none of them do. Regardless, I test drove another 18 and the shifter was very solid, exhibiting none of the issues I am experiencing. Now I'm playing the waiting game.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Thanks for the advice guys. Took it to the dealer today. 1st gear popped out 2 times on the way over with very mild acceleration around 3.5/4k rpm. Went for a ride with a technician and he popped it 2 more times. They are reaching out to Ford Techs for further instructions.

As for the shifter play, I thought of that, but then either all gears move the shifter or none of them do. Regardless, I test drove another 18 and the shifter was very solid, exhibiting none of the issues I am experiencing. Now I'm playing the waiting game.
OK.

Good luck with the service game!

Sponsored

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium. 2019 GT PP1 ordered

“Reaching out to the Ford techs”. Whatever happened to the good old days when a journeyman mechanic could diagnose and fix a problem based on their own skills and experience?

OP
OP

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
“Reaching out to the Ford techs”. Whatever happened to the good old days when a journeyman mechanic could diagnose and fix a problem based on their own skills and experience?
Wanting to work on easy issues / doing regular service because it's easier money.
Sponsored