OP
OP
AstroKeith

AstroKeith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Auto
Just because you can fit a towbar doesn't mean it is legal. My old Mondeo ST220 could have a physical towbar fitted but was not type approved.

You need to look at the first two weights on the VIN. If the second figure down is the same as the first figure (or 0000) then you cannot legally tow anything with that vehicle and your insurance will be invalid if you do.

A towbar fitter should not fit a towbar even if only for a bike rack as there is no way of guaranteeing this with future owners.
Thanks - this does seem pretty definitive. So mine is zero.

Could anyone with 2018 (or 2019?) model check their VIN plate please? This could be the reason I need to order the new model :like:
Sponsored

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
you know - I actually thought that this thread was a "wind-up" - but now I see it is not:shock:

Personally - there is no way on this earth that I would ever consider the Mustang to tow anything, ever!

IMHO - It isnt really intended for that

Like many others on here I would use a 4x4 or something more suitable

Can you imagine line-lock with a caravan on the back? :giggle:

djone101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
None
Vehicle(s)
None
Just because you can fit a towbar doesn't mean it is legal. My old Mondeo ST220 could have a physical towbar fitted but was not type approved.
Showing my age here - I ran the PTSE team (Power Train Systems Engineering) on the ST220 Program - we worked alongside the TASE team (Thermal & Aerodynamic System Engineering) and the transmission cooling was marginal without any towing (we even had to add vents to the under tray) - it would never have passed the towing tests hence no towing capability.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Showing my age here - I ran the PTSE team (Power Train Systems Engineering) on the ST220 Program - we worked alongside the TASE team (Thermal & Aerodynamic System Engineering) and the transmission cooling was marginal without any towing (we even had to add vents to the under tray) - it would never have passed the towing tests hence no towing capability.
That's interesting. I think the 3.0V6 Titanium was type approved though ? Maybe the reason it had 20PS missing compared to the ST220

The ST220 is still to this day one of the best cars I have ever had
Sponsored