HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
So if a choice had to be made for this "new" 8 inch vs the Seicane 10 inch with android 7.1, which would we the best between the two?
I can assure you that neither is likely Android 7.1 or Android 8, they're both probably 6.0.1 at most. (Like I have in my 8 inch model.) I've seen the Seicane model and considered it, but I don't remember if it had 2GB RAM and 32GB ROM like the 8" model. Also, the 10" one requires removal/desoldering the VOL and TUNE knob, right? AFAIK, it seems like a personal preference at this point. I'm taking the 8" model out of my car this weekend and posting it for sale so I can buy this other one that I posted a link to from Witson.
Sponsored

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
Seicane is 2GB DDR3 ROM and 16GB Flash/Hard disc capacitance...claims android 7.1.1 Nougat

OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Seicane is 2GB DDR3 ROM and 16GB Flash/Hard disc capacitance...claims android 7.1.1 Nougat
It's definitely not Android 7.1.1. They ALWAYS stick fake info in them. Even the one I have now says it's 7, but it's 6. Honestly, as long as it's 6, you're good, that has the important security and power features you'd want in a head unit. So it comes down to storage and ease of installation.

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the 10 inch with 2GB and if this 8 model was available and had some known reliability I'd have gone that way. I still like the one I have but given all is working properly with this newest one I think it's a better choice in general IMO. I'm about to add an amp and component speakers.

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have any of you guys found a nice music app? I'm not crazy about the built in one when you get a lot of music to go through. The carwebguru one is not great either.

Sponsored

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
I have the 10 inch with 2GB and if this 8 model was available and had some known reliability I'd have gone that way. I still like the one I have but given all is working properly with this newest one I think it's a better choice in general IMO. I'm about to add an amp and component speakers.
New one meaning the one @HotBadgerFart just posted the link for or the 10 inch you currently have?

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was referring to the one badger linked. The little nitpicky things I have with this 10" would probably be the same. But I would have picked the 8 to not have to pull the control knobs.

New one meaning the one @HotBadgerFart just posted the link for or the 10 inch you currently have?

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha :thumbsup:

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Why do you say that I have the 10 inch with the 1GB of ram if I had 2 GB I think id be happy with it. Im pretty happy with the 1GB model.

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why do you say that I have the 10 inch with the 1GB of ram if I had 2 GB I think id be happy with it. Im pretty happy with the 1GB model.
Before I got this one I would have went with that one to keep the dash controls. Though the bigger screen is nice.

Sponsored

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
I've decided on the bigger screen and I can always re-solder my volume and tune knob. Not pulling the trigger till after rear bumper conversion and coilover install.

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There should be another ebay coupon coming up. They usually do a 20 percent once a quarter. You will need a really good iron to not actually damage the plastic knobs if you would ever intend to use them again. I think mine are kind of warped now.

I've decided on the bigger screen and I can always re-solder my volume and tune knob. Not pulling the trigger till after rear bumper conversion and coilover install.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I have the 1GB unit if my unit had 2 id be happy with it. Its a little slow (but much faster then the tesla I had)
Its unlikely you will be able to get it apart in a way that will let you get them back together. I think you can get the piece with the knobs used for like $50 bucks.

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
I have a really good iron and have extensive soldering knowledge and skill (heck, it used to be part of a class I taught in the past). Nice to know that if I do mess them up, that board isn't too bad a price to get. Yup, gonna wait for the coupon even though dvdgps-manufacturer no longer exists on ebay...either Seicane or phoenixandroid is what it will end up being and I'm pretty sure Seicane has an ebay store.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Do any of these new 8 in Android units have the ability to control the AC by touch screen, I've been looking at getting a Tesla unit to get rid of my tomtop but I prefer the 8in screen versus a giant screen or the sideways 10 inch screen. Reason I'm asking is because I have controls from a premium with the toggles on the bottom and the AC doesn't function well it does function it's just you can't change the air flow directions examples would be like floor or a mixture of floor and defroster and face just face or defroster everything else in a premium is controlled by the touch screen so I'm looking for unit to be able to keep the buttons like modification or raxiom which has touch screen for the AC. I would just prefer an Android version thanks if anybody has any input besides a a Tesla unit
Sponsored