Sponsored

What’s the average lifespan of a stock 2.3 turbo?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just curious, what is the average life expectancy of a stock 2.3 turbo IF:

1) Normal maintenance (oil changes) is performed at specified intervals
2) Car remains stock (ie: engine and no “tune”)
3) Is driven for daily use (highway/city) and sees no timed events (ie: track use)

?

Can these last 100k mikes with no rebuilds or impeller implosions?
Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Just curious, what is the average life expectancy of a stock 2.3 turbo IF:

1) Normal maintenance (oil changes) is performed at specified intervals
2) Car remains stock (ie: engine and no “tune”)
3) Is driven for daily use (highway/city) and sees no timed events (ie: track use)

?

Can these last 100k mikes with no rebuilds or impeller implosions?
I can't say for sure about the 2.3L, but my wife's Escape has the 2.0L turbo. It's at 85K and still runs like it did when we drove it off the lot. Smooth idle, averages around 28 mpg mixed city/highway, and plenty of stomp when required.

Ford's EcoBoost series have been in service around the world since at least 2010. If there were a widespread problem with longevity it would be well known by now.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have been driving 4 cyl turbo motors continuously since 1985. I have regularly put mid 200,000 miles on them and never had an internal engine or turbo failure. All the high mileage cars were retired for other than engine issues. I see no reason not to expect the same from the 2.3 ecoboost.

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
I have been driving 4 cyl turbo motors continuously since 1985. I have regularly put mid 200,000 miles on them and never had an internal engine or turbo failure. All the high mileage cars were retired for other than engine issues. I see no reason not to expect the same from the 2.3 ecoboost.
That is good to know that with regular maintenance these cars can go a long run, I assume also with a little bit of luck...

This is my FIRST turbo car and it does concern me that any issues will come up after 100k with the turbo, I plan on keeping the car HOPEFULLY to 120-130k. My baby currently has 42k :)

wes936

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang Grabber Blue EB 6MT
I think the same way, I have owned a many a turbo 4 car form many different makes while living here in the US, and owning many a turbo 4 while living in the UK, most of them imported used from Japan to the UK. Every one I had was already modified or I modified it myself, and all of them had the boost turned up for fun. Never a major break down or blown motor, just the usual stuff that you would replace on any used car. A few did meet their demise when I totaled them while driving, but that is user error of course.

Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
They should last very long if used as intended. It's when you overboost and surge that they won't.

H@mmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/ Too Many Mods
...so you're asking if your car, when used as recommended by the OEM, will last 100k miles?

Your owner's manual has 150k mile service interval. So Ford clearly expects your engine to last at least that long.
Sponsored