Sponsored

Replacement tyres for stock GT wheels

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
I just received a reply from Michelin regarding availability of the [FONT=&quot]MICHELIN Pilot Sport 4 S [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Thanks for your enquiry. The tyres for the 2016 Mustang will be available, although we can’t definitively give you an answer on when the tyres will arrive. The front tyres will arrive in late February, however we currently have no visibility on the rear fitment. We hope to have more information in the coming weeks, and hope to see the tyres here in stock before mid 2018. I would suggest checking back in with us in 6-8 weeks time to get an updated timeline. [/FONT]
Sponsored

JOS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
15,000 service today all reported as good except for the rear tyres. Service man didn't seem to believe me that I was a mostly responsible driver. Fronts still good. Rears near bald. They offered p zero, continental or Bridgestone no response on the Michelin my18 tyres as an option. Because I am a TA, probably just do the rears, maybe Bridgestone ? Will this be ok?

Last edited:

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
15,000 service today all reported as good except for the rear tyres. Service man didn't seem to believe me that I was a mostly responsible driver. Fronts still good. Rears near bald. They offered p zero, continental or Bridgestone no response on the Michelin my18 tyres as an option. Because I am a TA probably just do the rears? Will this be ok?
Regardless of what choice you make, I would shop around (I have found Wheels at Kirrawee to be generally pretty good).

The dealership won’t do you any favours with pricing.

Reactions: JOS

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
[MENTION=28090]JOS[/MENTION] you're not being a TA imho, driven wheels on my cars have always worn quicker than the non driven. Same tread on all 4 is good but not critical provided you keep them the same on each end. In time you'll prob migrate away from the Pirellis anyway and then you can go to same tread on all 4 if desired.

Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
The oe wheels will accept a 255/45/18 as I just did Bridgestone S0-4 pole position tryes.

Hornet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Regardless of what choice you make, I would shop around (I have found Wheels at Kirrawee to be generally pretty good).

The dealership won’t do you any favours with pricing.
15,000 service today all reported as good except for the rear tyres. Service man didn't seem to believe me that I was a mostly responsible driver. Fronts still good. Rears near bald. They offered p zero, continental or Bridgestone no response on the Michelin my18 tyres as an option. Because I am a TA, probably just do the rears, maybe Bridgestone ? Will this be ok?
From memory Tyre Power in Taren Point and JAX Sutherland always got good reports. I exclusively used to use Tyre Power TP when living there

S550GTRed5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Geez, you went through those fast!:)

Sometimes dealers do exaggerate a bit, I've been told that before then checked them out and still had plenty of tread. I would recommend getting another opinion if your unsure and to be on the safe side.

Somehow I'm up to 50,000k on the original set although that could be just driving style or those racing lines :D Saying that i should replace them before winter...

Funnily enough it wasn't long ago that Michelin were reporting that people there are replacing tyres too early and how many tyres were being wasted...

https://www.automotiveworld.com/new...s-3mm-unnecessary-costly-harmful-environment/

JOS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
Thanks for the advice, I had a quick look and the outside of the tyre is patterned different so a little hard to judge, the inside not so bad. It might streach to 20,000 but not good to drive. Don't know how you got 50,000 that's gotta be some sort of a record.

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
The Michelin pilot sport 3 tyres on the rear I got back in Oct 2017 , lasted about 20,000km ( maybe the few launch controls I did may have contributed to the low mileage)LOL

Just fitted the Michelin pilot sport 4s to the rear last week, ( same as the OEM for the 2018)
first impressions on the short trips I did on the week end, very little road noise compared to the PS3

Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
A month ago I had Firestone re-align my pony after installing Steeda "specific" rear sub-frame bushings & the tech told me my S-04 pole positions were worn to the wear bars so I replaced them with Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's. Good in the wet, and better in dry warm conditions. Cheers!

Bernborough

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bernie
Vehicle(s)
Ingot GT Fastback Auto
Ok have had the Bridgestone Potenzas on for a few weeks now. Super happy with them. A massive upgrade over the Pirellis. Especially during the wet. They’ve received a pretty good workout with some heavy rain up here in Darwin. Excellent grip and car feels so much more controlled. Can highly recommend them. I mainly went for them because it was so hard to get the Michelin’s up here and Bridgestone had a buy 3 get 1 freeman promotion. Saving over $500 and being happy with them is a win!
I have 20,000k up and my rears are at about 85% worn and fronts at 50%. I am considering fitting the Bridgestone Potenzas. I will fit rears first and wait for the fronts to wear out. Has anyone got any updated reports on their performance? Has anyone run a mixed selection for fronts and rears - any probs? I intend to do a couple of reasonable road trips this year (eg Brisbane to Adelaide and Brisbane to Cairns) so I want a tyre that will perform well on road longer trips.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Hi Bernie, can't comment on how they go on a Mustang but FWIW I've had Potenzas on a GTR, Monaro and Lexus and they've always been good.

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Bridgestone Potenza S001's on mine, had them a fair while now and love them.

Not as good as Pzeros for a track day, but for daily driving they are like 100x better, I feel confident no matter the weather and the ass end only sides out when Id expect it to, not all the damn time just because