Sponsored

Permanent DTCs

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe someone has the expertise to explain some (presumably) tuning issues I have. I tuned my car back in December through VMP. Just a CAI and 91 tune, nothing complicated here. After the tune, I initially had a P0315 code and I think a P1000 (not sure, it's been a while). The former I cleared with a crank relearn and the latter with my SCT tuner. The car has been running fine since with no CELs. But... apparently the car has "permanent" DTCs that won't clear, because my car failed an emissions test. The inspector indicated that I have a few "not ready" codes stored in memory. Only 1 would be ok to pass but more than that is no bueno. He could not elaborate on what they were, but I suspect it is from the tune. I've driven a lot of miles since tuning and have zero drivability issues. I put in a message to VMP to see of there is anything standout with their tune that could cause this. I'll update as I learn more from them.

So... depending on what I can glean from them, I am considering going back to stock temporarily, or permanently if that's what it takes. I am hoping that even reverting to stock would clear it up. I only planned on installing a tune / cai and leaving everything else alone, but at this point it seems I can't even do that without issues. Frustrating.

This later OBDll version is such a pain compared to the version 10 years ago. The change was instituted to lock down on people clearing codes right before an inspection. Now, a car basically has to self-check and find everything reporting properly before totally clearing codes from the PCM.

I did find out from some reading, there's a quick check to see if the car has uncleared codes. If I understood correctly, when pressing the start button (without starting the car) the CEL will illuminate, but instead of staying on solid it will start blinking after 15 seconds if there is an issue. Again, when the engine is actually on this light goes out and stays out.
Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
I hear many tuners turn off Cat protection and the secondary o2 a long with it. Theres more too it but this might be the reason for you.

OP
OP
Genxer

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just an update. I put the stock tune back in and left the no-tune PMAS installed (Simply switched over MAFs) After a couple of good long drives the PCM seems to be happy now. I have a solid CEL with the power button on (not started), and it goes out and stays out when I start the engine. Next up is the inspection.

VMP was very quick to respond (next day) with a revised tune, which I will try after a successful inspection, just in case it isn’t up to snuff.

As I have mentioned before, I do like having the SCT X4 over the BDX. It inckudes a Crank Relearn function as well as KAM reset (have not done that). Perhaps these guys will get with it and include those functions in a future iteration.

A couple of observations...I can definitely tell the car is down on power with a stock tune. I have to work to break the tires loose. The mid range RPM around 3-4k is most noticeable. Can’t wait to get the new tune put in!

I thought something was different with the exhaust note and my wife confirmed it with an unsolitcited comment. She said the exhaust is louder when tuned stock and yes, it IS louder to me, or at least more persistent in the RPM range. Not sure why or how but it most definitely is different.

I’ll update when the revised tune goes in.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Just an update. I put the stock tune back in and left the no-tune PMAS installed (Simply switched over MAFs) After a couple of good long drives the PCM seems to be happy now. I have a solid CEL with the power button on (not started), and it goes out and stays out when I start the engine. Next up is the inspection.

VMP was very quick to respond (next day) with a revised tune, which I will try after a successful inspection, just in case it isn’t up to snuff.

As I have mentioned before, I do like having the SCT X4 over the BDX. It inckudes a Crank Relearn function as well as KAM reset (have not done that). Perhaps these guys will get with it and include those functions in a future iteration.

A couple of observations...I can definitely tell the car is down on power with a stock tune. I have to work to break the tires loose. The mid range RPM around 3-4k is most noticeable. Can’t wait to get the new tune put in!

I thought something was different with the exhaust note and my wife confirmed it with an unsolitcited comment. She said the exhaust is louder when tuned stock and yes, it IS louder to me, or at least more persistent in the RPM range. Not sure why or how but it most definitely is different.

I’ll update when the revised tune goes in.
Fyi BDX has KAM reset and crank relearn as well. Have had to use them on mine.

OP
OP
Genxer

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Fyi BDX has KAM reset and crank relearn as well. Have had to use them on mine.
Interesting. Was that very recent? The version I had was a REV X tuner and it did not have those functions.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Interesting. Was that very recent? The version I had was a REV X tuner and it did not have those functions.
Mine was just from SCT. Under vehicle functions then special features or something along those lines.

OP
OP
Genxer

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hope I’m not boring anyone with all this but I figured having some journaled experiences might help a brother out.

I took the car over today and passed with my restored stock tune and “no tune” PMAS. Just as I suspected, the aftermarket tune never allowed the PCM to completely reset things. The car was driven several thousand miles like that so it had every chance to clear things out if it was going to. With a stock tune and maybe 80-100 miles... presto! everything is good. Soon, I will install the revised tune and watch the CEL for any funny business. Now at least, I have solace in knowing that it is a matter of setting things up right and the computer will respond. :rockon:

OP
OP
Genxer

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I put the tune revision in on Sunday. I haven’t driven enough to see if the monitors will clear, but will check that soon. Still had to do a crank relearn, it must be SOP with tuning this car? With that settled, the car runs with no hiccups whatsoever. Taking the tune out, driving stock then putting it back in reaffirms how much I loved having it tuned (And this is only a 91 octane tune).

I think the volume difference we were hearing in the exhaust, is a steady tone at all speeds when stock, vs the tune where it seems quieter at times then gets louder when I shoot the coal to it. Technically, I have no idea what that means.

its_me_walt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP Vert
Im wondering if i have the same issue, my p0315 wont go away. so i put the stock tune back on to no avail....although i didnt do 80+ miles. Do I need to put the stock tune in and go on a trip to get it to reset?

were you using HP tuners?

OP
OP
Genxer

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Im wondering if i have the same issue, my p0315 wont go away. so i put the stock tune back on to no avail....although i didnt do 80+ miles. Do I need to put the stock tune in and go on a trip to get it to reset?

were you using HP tuners?
I think even going back to the stock tune, the P0315 had to be cleared with my device. It is the "Crank Relearn" function you need. I used my SCT tuner to do that. I'm not sure driving would do the trick. If your device doesn't have that function you can borrow one that does have it (even if they have a tune married to their car). The first time I got this code, a kind soul at a Mustang shop did it for me for free in a few minutes.

Now I am running the Ford Power pack 2. Overall I am happier with it, especially since I have no CELs or issues with monitors not resetting. I gave VMP 2 tries to revise and figured that was enough, and moved on.
Sponsored