SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Got some Cervini side scoops. I kinda like them (on other people's cars) however would like to be sure they'll come off if I tire of them. As the tape that comes with them isn't exactly awe-inspiring I was going to use 3M VHB tape. Now I know how to get the tape off the bodywork but can anyone with any experience tell me how easy its likely to be to remove the scoop itself. VHB seems to be resistant to quite an amount of heat.
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Very hard... trust me i've tried it with my spoiler. Just make sure the panel is wiped down with >A LOT< of alcohol wipes

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
use some 15 lb fishing line won't damage the paint and should have enough breaking strain to effectively slice through the tape and get it off. failing that I think there's something that neutralises the glue used but i've never found it in the UK only in the states

jord79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’d like to know how to get that stuff off of bodywork/painted wheels. The only method I’ve found is LOTS of WD40 and tar remover combined with an even greater helping of elbow grease and patience!

OP
OP
SteveS

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Was the WD40 method I used on a previous car but there's apparently a 3M solution you can get. Or Goo Gone.

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Was the WD40 method I used on a previous car but there's apparently a 3M solution you can get. Or Goo Gone.
FWIW brake clean worked for removing some of the marks left over, spray onto rag, wipe onto surface. sorted.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
FWIW brake clean worked for removing some of the marks left over, spray onto rag, wipe onto surface. sorted.
its also corrosive and damages the paint and laquer, just use meths to clean the left over / adhesive off how does nobody ever know this

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
its also corrosive and damages the paint and laquer, just use meths to clean the left over / adhesive off how does nobody ever know this
it does if you rub hard/put it directly to paint, as does using IPA. As with anything that is corrosive you have to be careful and use it properly to avoid damage.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
it does if you rub hard/put it directly to paint, as does using IPA. As with anything that is corrosive you have to be careful and use it properly to avoid damage.
ipa/meths won't damage the paint work at all on our cars don't you remember gcse chemistry ? it was only like 5 years ago for you it was 25 for me and I still remember it.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
ipa/meths won't damage the paint work at all on our cars don't you remember gcse chemistry ? it was only like 5 years ago for you it was 25 for me and I still remember it.
I've had Gtechniqs panel wipe which is IPA go straight through paint. I don't need a chemistry GCSE (Btw i got a "B" in it lol) to know it, seen it with my own eyes (And brake clean go through paint on a volvo, and WD40/petrol melt lacquer on it too)

Sponsored
OP
OP
SteveS

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
The Gtechniq wipes sounds a bit odd. 70% IPA should be fine...what i've always used as a panel wipe.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
wd40 isn't a solvent its a water displacer,
brake cleaner is strongly acidic
petrol is a great solvent for cleaning grease etc but its highly reactive
ipa/meths evaporates too fast to damage anything the wipes probably have something else in them perhaps citric acid to desolve grease pure alcohol won't bother a car at all unless its the dodgy cellulose paint vauxhall used in the late 90's early 00's :) but everyone knows that paint is shit.

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
I use meths too! - hic! and sometimes I clean glue off cars with it as well!
Sponsored