Sponsored

Love The Drive Wind Deflector Windier than necessary

Winchell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Convertible
20 years ago I bought an ASC/Oris Windstop for my 1998 SVT convertible. It was great. With that, I could put a tissue on the front passenger seat, drive on I-5 / I-90 with the top down and that tissue wouldn't move.
This is perhaps a later version of it (mine didn't have the verticle screen in two parts)
[ame]

Notice how the horizontal part was FLUSH with the back passenger area on all three sides. That kept ANY wind from going down into the back passenger area which is the most important part.
Here are pictures of the Love the Drive horizontal screen fitted into my 2016 convertible
airgap_rear.jpg

airgap_side.jpg

Oris is/was a European (German?) company. Maybe the one that is sold by Ford is actually many of the same people since their designs are so similar.

I spoke just now with someone at Love the Drive and she agreed that the horizontal screen flush would cut down the wind. She said she would talk to the owner, though I suppose if not enough people contact them they will do what most businesses do, see it as not worth the effort to change.

I encourage anyone who wants a completely windless front compartment to do so.

Does anyone know of a windscreen that stops all wind in the front passenger area of our cars?

Is the european windscreen that basically looks like these, have a horizontal screen that is flush against the sides and back of the back passenger area? (like the Oris/ASC one in that video above?
Sponsored

Last edited:

smbsocal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT Vert, '17 C7 Z06, '19 BMW X5
With the windows up it stops almost all of the wind. With the windows down it helps reduce the wind but not all of it. I have not tried the tissue test you mentioned though.

Yesterday it was sunny even though it was only 43 out. I put on my jacket, dropped the top and windows but put up the Love the Drive windscreen and it dramatically reduced the wind. I wanted some wind hence the windows down.

OP
OP

Winchell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Convertible
I also had the windows up because windows down was even worse of course.

The tissue test is an easy one to do, to unambigously check your ability to have a phone conversation with the top down. Sometimes that phone conversation problem could be due to non-wind conditions. But if you've ever had a cell phone call using just your physical phone and even a slight breeze is around, you've probably heard the person on the other end of the line complaining about that (or you've heard someone calling you from outside and heard the wind).

If you have a windscreen that blocks the wind so well that a tissue won't move, you know you can't have an in-car phone call problem due to the wind.

The tissue was also an extreme example. If you have ANY paper in your car with the top down and the Love the Drive deflector it is only a matter of time before that paper blows out of your car. I will try a run today on my freeway commute to work to test about how long it takes an 8.5x11 piece of paper to blow out of the front passenger area. My guess is within a minute or two.

Since I see other winddeflector designs that don't even bother to have a horizontal cover over the back seat area, I am guessing there are quite a few wind deflector buyers who don't care about any of this... as long as their long hair isn't wildly flapping around in the wind they are fine. So I guess there is some market, but the number of people who actively use their cell phone to answer and make calls makes that % of the market smaller and smaller every day.

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
What’s your speed?

I find anything over 80-85 mph and I get a flub sound kinda like blowing across the opening of a glass pop bottle, but a much lower frequency.... especially if there is any kind of a cross wind. It’s kinda like a drone sound. Hurts the ears

But normal crushing speeds, and it works flawlessly

OP
OP

Winchell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Convertible
What’s your speed?

I find anything over 80-85 mph and I get a flub sound kinda like blowing across the opening of a glass pop bottle, but a much lower frequency.... especially if there is any kind of a cross wind. It’s kinda like a drone sound. Hurts the ears

But normal crushing speeds, and it works flawlessly
Where I live, its hazardous to your wallet to go over 80. I don't notice the glass bottle blowing sound.

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased both the Love the Drive and the plexi glass Wind Restrictor with the pony logo. They both have their advantages and disadvantages...I would really prefer the plexi glass one that does not have to be removed to accomodate passengers, but it is not as effective. It would be better if it was closer and blocked the space in between the center console where a lot of the draft occurs... I am thinking I might keep both and use the plexi glass one for car shows, warmer nights, etc.. it does have a cool light up feature to it...

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
With the wind delfector, The wind comes back in between seats. So i put something (a blancket) in between the seat above the drive shaft tunel. It helps a lot, i think if i can close the whole hole it would,be perfect

mwoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT Convertible
My repurposed A4 windscreen fits tighter to the back seat than the LTD unit. I’m really happy with how well it works. I haven’t tried a tissue test, but it’s remarkably quiet with the screen and front window screen up.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
With the wind delfector, The wind comes back in between seats. So i put something (a blancket) in between the seat above the drive shaft tunel. It helps a lot, i think if i can close the whole hole it would,be perfect
Can you post a picture of yours please?

barrykaye1001

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.discountpackagingdepot.com
First Name
Barry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
My repurposed A4 windscreen fits tighter to the back seat than the LTD unit. I’m really happy with how well it works. I haven’t tried a tissue test, but it’s remarkably quiet with the screen and front window screen up.
Do you have a picture?

Sponsored

barrykaye1001

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.discountpackagingdepot.com
First Name
Barry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Here is what my Audi screen looks like.
Damn, that does fit nicely. I have the Aperta wind deflector from Cabrio Supply. It's a bit less than the one from Love The Drive and works spectacularly. My only complaint is that it takes up a lot of room in the trunk. It did require drilling a couple of holes but they give you the measurements and the grommets to make it not look like a hack-job. You could probably order a couple of grommets from them to finish off your install.

Gossomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange Ecoboost Premium Convertib
Damn, that does fit nicely. I have the Aperta wind deflector from Cabrio Supply. It's a bit less than the one from Love The Drive and works spectacularly. My only complaint is that it takes up a lot of room in the trunk. It did require drilling a couple of holes but they give you the measurements and the grommets to make it not look like a hack-job. You could probably order a couple of grommets from them to finish off your install.
After drilling I installed a grommet on each side. It is trimmed out really nicely and looks factory. I’m really happy with it.

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I have to also agree with the A4 solution. Love it and nothing blows away, even with windows down!
Sponsored