Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
1969 Triumph TR6, 2018 GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking for the capability to navigate through more than one destination using my 2018 Mustang Sync 3 NAV.

I usually have Google Maps do my navigation because I like/need to string several destinations into a route. I have used Android Auto to host the Google Maps and that works OK but it takes over the entire Sync display so that I cannot see what's going on with messages or the Sirius radio at the same time (like the Sync home screen). So I tried to see if there's the capability for Google Maps to send the planned route directly to my car's NAV (using Sync as the device). Apparently there was something called "Sync Destinations" that may have existed but is no longer in use? Also, Google Maps does have their "SendtoCar" feature that you can enable but apparently is doesn't work with Sync. It's only selectable for Audi, BMW, Genesis, Hyundai, Infiniti, Kia, Nissan, and Porsche.

I have also tried the FordPass "Find" function that will connect to the Sync but it is simply another way to upload a single destination - not several destinations together.

So, is anybody familiar with the alternatives or capabilities to upload NAV routes to the Sync 3 NAV?
Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
You can use the Ford Pass app to do that but it's still a few steps outside of Google and requires you have a 2018+ or sync connect enabled car.

I think the send to car used to work for Mercedes too.

American car manufacturers just can't seem to get with modern software technology.

ODucksFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
You can use the Ford Pass app to do that but it's still a few steps outside of Google and requires you have a 2018+ or sync connect enabled car.

American car manufacturers just can't seem to get with modern software technology.
No offense but that's a bit silly to say American car manufacturers are behind with software technology. Google send to car only works with like 6 car brands so it's not really widely available.

ODucksFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I am looking for the capability to navigate through more than one destination using my 2018 Mustang Sync 3 NAV.

I usually have Google Maps do my navigation because I like/need to string several destinations into a route. I have used Android Auto to host the Google Maps and that works OK but it takes over the entire Sync display so that I cannot see what's going on with messages or the Sirius radio at the same time (like the Sync home screen). So I tried to see if there's the capability for Google Maps to send the planned route directly to my car's NAV (using Sync as the device). Apparently there was something called "Sync Destinations" that may have existed but is no longer in use? Also, Google Maps does have their "SendtoCar" feature that you can enable but apparently is doesn't work with Sync. It's only selectable for Audi, BMW, Genesis, Hyundai, Infiniti, Kia, Nissan, and Porsche.

I have also tried the FordPass "Find" function that will connect to the Sync but it is simply another way to upload a single destination - not several destinations together.

So, is anybody familiar with the alternatives or capabilities to upload NAV routes to the Sync 3 NAV?
You can add several destinations to your route using the built in navigation on Sync 3. Here is more info (scroll to the bottom)

https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/sync/sync-3/navigation/how-to-get-directions-with-sync-3.html

The only option to send directions to your car is via the FordPass app. As far as I know, the old Sync Destinations app doesn't work anymore. You used to be able to send directions to Ford vehicles via Mapquest, but that doesn't work anymore either.

OP
OP

cobrapatrol

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, DucksFan, for the link, good info. Interesting that you can do it only after navigation is active. Not quite the same thing as uploading a pre-planned route. After doing more internet searching I get the impression that there was some kind of licensing issue with Google and Ford opted out and the third-party apps were canceled. Too bad that the capability is there but Sync is not in the game.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Yeah. Can be dicey. The Onstar app can send directions to the Car's factory NAV. Seemed like a great idea because you could enter a destination before heading for the car. But I stopped using it because if where you want to go is in OnStar's up-to-date maps but not in your car's NAV maps (which are outdated before you even buy the car) it can get ugly because the car's NAV (CUE for me) can gives bogus directions. If the address isn't in the car's maps, NAV may send you to the center of the town (probably center of the state if it doesn't know the town) OR to one end of the street the address is on.

Osofast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium
Vehicle Showcase
You can do this with The waze app. You can set the preplanned trips and then when you get in your car plug your phone in and let Waze take over the nav screen.
It works pretty well.
However after coming from owning a sync2 system for 5 yrs and the nav in that, I like the sync 3 nav. But I do understand being able to want and set up trip plans outside of the car

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
No offense but that's a bit silly to say American car manufacturers are behind with software technology. Google send to car only works with like 6 car brands so it's not really widely available.
I'd just like to see American manufactures doing a better job when it comes to modern design and tech. Except for Tesla they seem to be stuck in their legacy way of doing things. It feels like lawyers and accountants are running the American car companies. I'd like to see more of a SaaS way of thinking when it comes to automotive systems. Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are a start at least.

Out of the many cars I've driven in recent years it seems the Germans and Koreans are doing better with tech followed by the Japanese. Pickup trucks seem to be the the one area where American manufacturers are at least keeping up.

OP
OP

cobrapatrol

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You can do this with The waze app. You can set the preplanned trips and then when you get in your car plug your phone in and let Waze take over the nav screen.
It works pretty well.
I tried to set up Waze and was able to run it through Android Auto, but not through AppLink, even if I disabled Android Auto. Then I found this in the Ford.Owners site:

"Currently Waze is only available in SYNC 3 AppLink with iPhone. Android users can connect Waze to their SYNC 3 touchscreen by using Android Auto."

So I'd still be stuck in the Android Auto screen, just like Google Maps.

But thanks for the suggestion!

ODucksFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
I'd just like to see American manufactures doing a better job when it comes to modern design and tech. Except for Tesla they seem to be stuck in their legacy way of doing things. It feels like lawyers and accountants are running the American car companies. I'd like to see more of a SaaS way of thinking when it comes to automotive systems. Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are a start at least.

Out of the many cars I've driven in recent years it seems the Germans and Koreans are doing better with tech followed by the Japanese. Pickup trucks seem to be the the one area where American manufacturers are at least keeping up.
CarPlay is going to be great once iOS 12 is released. It's nice to see Apple actually being the first to open it up to third party navigation. Hopefully Google will eventually allow third party navigation through Android Auto.

I guess it's just a matter of opinion. I've had Hyaundi and Toyota rental SUV's this past year and their infotainment systems really aren't any better than Sync 3. I actually thought the one in the Toyota rental I had was pretty bad. I'm not a fan of the interface on BMW's navigation. I think at the end of the day, Android Auto and CarPlay is what people want. Toyota is really behind when it comes to modern tech. They still don't support Android Auto and are now finally supporting CarPlay.

Fordman460

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
I just don't understand the Carplay hype. I find it less useful than any version of sync I've ever used.
Sponsored