5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
Just got back to Florida from visiting near Brevard and up to Asheville and I swear I have never seen so many Mustangs of all the generations in my life...no pics, but everywhere I went there I saw multiple stangs. Liked it so much there I'm now looking for work there and want to relocate to that area...super nice people, beautiful countryside, lots and lots of twisty roads, nature, and very peacful...just an observation and hoping some peeps from that area will chime in here (especially if you know where I can find IT work there).
Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Just got back to Florida from visiting near Brevard and up to Asheville and I swear I have never seen so many Mustangs of all the generations in my life...no pics, but everywhere I went there I saw multiple stangs. Liked it so much there I'm now looking for work there and want to relocate to that area...super nice people, beautiful countryside, lots and lots of twisty roads, nature, and very peacful...just an observation and hoping some peeps from that area will chime in here (especially if you know where I can find IT work there).
I live in York county SC, about 1.5 hours south east of Ashville, outside of Charlotte NC. There are plenty of IT jobs in Charlotte.

RobD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mustang GT
WNC is a great place to live and work. You'll have to adjust to state income tax and property tax on vehicles. Take a look at the cities for IT work. Our roads are awesome, one of the perks living here. Four seasons are great too, just when your sick of summer heat here comes fall. We moved here from central Florida back in 2011 and have no regrets. Good Luck.

OP
OP
5.0_SD

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Ya I saw, but I'd prefer to be near Asheville since my Dad's house is near Brevard (Connestee Falls)...heh, state and vehicle tax? no prob...I lived in SoCal for 20 years, talk about taxed to death! I just applied for an IT job at the Asheville VA (I used to be in DoD IT in San Diego and heard horror stories about the VA IT there), would be nice to be a GS12 again with all the govie perks, fingers crossed. I can also teach computers and electronics (did that for 15 years at a tech school and community college). 4 seasons would be awesome and my mind can't even imaginge what it looks like there in the fall; the colors must be breathtaking.

ValidusTalon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP + FRPP2
I relocated to Western NC (Hickory) a couple years ago from "out west" and absolutely love it! And there is a substantial following for Mustangs (and other cars) and a great overall car culture here, plus loads of back roads to have a little fun on. There are a few active clubs as well that are a great resource...I love that I can reasonably drive the car year-round, but still enjoy four defined seasons (where I came from it was either winter or summer, fall / spring were after-thoughts)....

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I've lived in NC all my life and also work in IT. Most IT jobs will either be in Charlotte or Raleigh. Research Triangle Park(Raleigh) is like the tech capital of the east coast. If big city living isn't your thing, High Point, Greensboro, or Winston-Salem have tech jobs as well, but just not as many. The good thing about these areas is they are near the beach and the mountains. Centrally located if you will.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Being born in North Carolina I say it's the best around. However, biased I am. For IT jobs check the Hickory, Lenoir, along with Boone. The university is in Boone, so I would guess that would be the first place to check. All are just a short ride to the Asheville area. Asheville had become a (what we call in the south) a yuppy town. Artsy, fartsy, and the cost of living is higher as you can imagine.

But, please remember. Us natives have a slower way of living in the urban areas of North Carolina, so slow your roll. You'll love it if you do that little thing.

OP
OP
5.0_SD

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
I'm all about slowing my roll...53...grew up in south florida, lived in tampa, southern california, now central florida...I want slow lifestyle. I could tell from the 4 days I was there that it is where I want to be. I was hoping actually Hendersonville, Brevard, and places in between to be close to where my dad's is. Another thing I noticed, tons and tons of microbreweries...love it! Keep the ideas coming all, I'm checking all of them out that y'all bring forth here and I'm all about having as much info as possible. It doesn't even have to be a straight up IT job, like I said before, I can teach as well.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I'm all about slowing my roll...53...grew up in south florida, lived in tampa, southern california, now central florida...I want slow lifestyle. I could tell from the 4 days I was there that it is where I want to be. I was hoping actually Hendersonville, Brevard, and places in between to be close to where my dad's is. Another thing I noticed, tons and tons of microbreweries...love it! Keep the ideas coming all, I'm checking all of them out that y'all bring forth here and I'm all about having as much info as possible. It doesn't even have to be a straight up IT job, like I said before, I can teach as well.
You know it snows in NC right? :giggle: Just teasin' ya since you've lived in some snow-less(probably?) areas.

A lot of breweries spread out over NC. Also, check out The Biltmore House if you haven't already.

OP
OP
5.0_SD

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Lol about the snow, yup, I figured there would be some snow. I was bummed not to have been able to go to the Biltmore. My dad's dog is in poor health so we couldn't be away for really long periods. I wish I could've stayed longer. I have a bad feeling that it is going to be very difficult to find work there with me being out of state and them possibly wanting face to face interviews. I know I'm being a little antsy about it, but I'm really sick of being at my current job and Florida just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

Sponsored

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Maybe the EEOC (Unemployment Office) in those cities can help you out with job ideas, or at least a central website that has IT jobs listed. Good luck, and start practicing your "Hey Y'all". :like:

OP
OP
5.0_SD

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Not a bad idea...I saw a posting for UNC Asheville for a systems admin that I will apply for tonight or tomorrow...that one and the VA one is right up my alley. Heck, even when I was in California teaching, I would say y'all, lol, but I by no means have a southern accent, but grew up around southern ways.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Not a bad idea...I saw a posting for UNC Asheville for a systems admin that I will apply for tonight or tomorrow...that one and the VA one is right up my alley. Heck, even when I was in California teaching, I would say y'all, lol, but I by no means have a southern accent, but grew up around southern ways.
HA! A lot of us down south have no southern twang that people think we apparently have. I have no southern draw, I guess I just have an "American accent." I do drink sweet and unsweet tea and I do say y'all sometimes though...

One more thing, there's nothing else around like southern cookin'. :devil:

OP
OP
5.0_SD

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Oh man, you ain't lying, had some great food while I was there and freakin microbreweries everywhere! I hope y'all are ready for this bitch Florence that's coming at you, don't take it lightly...I've been through many and you should never take them lightly. My prayers are with you.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Oh man, you ain't lying, had some great food while I was there and freakin microbreweries everywhere! I hope y'all are ready for this bitch Florence that's coming at you, don't take it lightly...I've been through many and you should never take them lightly. My prayers are with you.
Yeah, I'm kind of nervous about the hurricane. We haven't had one coming at us like this in quite awhile. I'm inland, but it won't matter much if it directly impacts NC as a category 4 or 5 will still do a lot of damage inland. Thanks for prayers. I'm praying for the coast.
Sponsored