Sponsored

High Frequency Brake Shudder...What to Check?

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Sorry, but I'm sliding this in here cause I'm not getting a love anywhere else and we have a good bunch of guys in here...

Have a really significant, fast, shudder in the brakes (on a '16 Lexus IS350...ssshhhhh :lipssealed:). Just did a full brake job on this car in January. Maybe has 9-10K miles on this new brake job. The first few miles were smooth as glass. The shudder does increase/decrease with brake pedal pressure.

New EBC Red pads, turned the original rotors, and flushed all new brake fluid. The rotors had plenty of material left before min thickness (let's debate the merits of turning rotors somewhere else).

Rotors don't appear glazed or anything funny. And it just does not have that 'warped rotor' feel. This is different; it's more of a shudder than that warped rotor womp womp womp kinda feel. Shudder does change with vehicle speed, but not like a bad rotor, and not as significant of a change as with a change in pedal pressure. Visual inspection reveals nothing obvious.

Question is, what kind of things to check first before throwing parts at it? First thought is to pull the pads and clean the surface of them and see what that does. Second thought is to throw new rotors on it.
Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Check your wheel bearings and suspension ball joints - sounds like something's worn down there.

YOLO

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06, Lexus GS350
Sorry, but I'm sliding this in here cause I'm not getting a love anywhere else and we have a good bunch of guys in here...

Have a really significant, fast, shudder in the brakes (on a '16 Lexus IS350...ssshhhhh :lipssealed:). Just did a full brake job on this car in January. Maybe has 9-10K miles on this new brake job. The first few miles were smooth as glass. The shudder does increase/decrease with brake pedal pressure.

New EBC Red pads, turned the original rotors, and flushed all new brake fluid. The rotors had plenty of material left before min thickness (let's debate the merits of turning rotors somewhere else).

Rotors don't appear glazed or anything funny. And it just does not have that 'warped rotor' feel. This is different; it's more of a shudder than that warped rotor womp womp womp kinda feel. Shudder does change with vehicle speed, but not like a bad rotor, and not as significant of a change as with a change in pedal pressure. Visual inspection reveals nothing obvious.

Question is, what kind of things to check first before throwing parts at it? First thought is to pull the pads and clean the surface of them and see what that does. Second thought is to throw new rotors on it.

I've got the Lexus GS350 as my DD.

Why not visit the Lexus forums where they will have better knowledge?

I had zero issues on my GS350 so far. 100% bone stock.

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
could be just deposits on the rotor?

Find a long stretch of road, do a hard stop from as fast as you dare to go. See if it goes away.
Sponsored