Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Ok, just buy the parts new and be done with it.

Lmr has good prices on rotors and pads.

OP
OP
lemers

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

I dont mind buying parts if they are needed. I just think that the guy wanting to fail me on brakes then letting it go when he couldnt figure it out seems a little shaddy to me.

If im signing off on the inspection and thought that a car needed something like new pads I would just put everything back together and let him go.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lemers

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Oh and LMR is going to get me come Spring for Wheel and Tire package.

Sponsored

OP
OP
lemers

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
It was the auto shop guy that did the inspection. He was the one who was trying to get me to turn the rotors. When he couldnt, he tried getting other shops including the local Ford Dealership to do it.

There isnt much in this shop as far as help or space. He is the only person there but trying to hire someome else. No hours after 5pm and no weekend hours. He said selfhelp is Space A and unlikely when he gets a second employee and can schedule more service.

There are a couple other posts around I can xheck into selfhelp, but if they dont do after work hours then I just cant do it.
Well that sucks. Wish you were still in the area. It's actually an easy job. May want to just take your chances with a local Ford dealer, at least for the diagnosis.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I got my safety inspection the other day and low and behold they tagged me for needing new front brake pads and getting the front rotors "turned". I am at only 23000 miles but thought that I could had some excessive wear while I had the car in Germany.

I approve the work and it takes the guy to order the brake pads for around $50.

Anyways, he calls me and tells me that he can not "turn" the rotors and he would need to take them to another shop.

At the end of the day he calls me and tells me that he nobody can turn them; not even the local Ford Dealer. This very dealer has a Shelby sitting on the showroom floor.

Anyways, the machanic just gives up on the brake job and puts my rotors back on without changing the pads or doing any other work.

He didnt want to put the new pads on without turning the rotors, so he didnt charge me for the brakes at all.

So what do you all think...

Was he just trying to up sell the brake job and dropped it became too much trouble?

Is $50 about right for the pads or did he get Mustang brake pads?

Can the Shelby rotors be turned at all?

Woukd you reccommend putting new pads on these rotors without turning the rotors?
I've had turned rotors on my TY R since last December. The 3 day track weekend used up more brakes than the previous year. After every session, I kept checking the pad thickness on the outsides, but never pulled the wheel to check that the insides were wearing the same. Guess what, they didn't. The last session of the day, going full blast into the bus stop at Daytona, I went for the brakes and guess what???? A slight grinding noise that I immediately recognized. Maximum engine braking and being gingerly on the brakes, I was barely able to keep it under control through the turn. I pitted immediately and verified the problem.

So to my surprise, the rotors weren't that bad. I took them to a local machine shop (who had the equipment to turn them) and they came out great and were within specification. They did a real nice job. I have been using them for street driving and have another set for track use. Driving with friends, I have done maximum brake exercises to demonstrate the car's ability. They are still in great shape and are as true as could be.

Would I track the turned rotors? No. However I feel they are perfectly safe for normal operation to include spirited driving and braking commensurate with that kind of use.

Despite what the manual says, I have practical experience with using these (reconditioned) rotors. I feel that as long as they are within the specification that is stamped on the rotor and they have been turned with the right equipment, they should be fine for non track use.

Each person is responsible for their own safety, so use common sense and good judgement.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I just sanded down my rotors following the video instructions and I came out fantastic. Did all 4.

Front rotors min thickness is 36mm and rear is 32mm or 34mm don't remember.

Mine was still the same thickness even after sanding them down.
Sponsored