K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
bncrbzasmkwkxkb8wmrh.jpg

Round 3 for me... Third time it's happened on my original hood. This time I'm tempted to ask for a new hood. Or maybe even an aftermarket fiberglass hood if I can dream. :angel:
Just to show how bad it can get, below is an acquaintances 2011 GT with 106,000 miles and left unchecked...
41089002_2173792182640646_8260696168753790976_n.jpg

41061115_2173792189307312_6895409920296878080_n.jpg
Sponsored

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
I was at my dealership past week and talked about the agreement we had on buying back my original hood after it was replaced last summer. They said that for about 5 months they kept it aside for me and then suddenly Ford requested them all back and shipped them to the US for inspection. It appears that they have found the culprit for the corrosion on the newer models 2015-2017.

Before going to paint the hoods get transported on a roller and these rollers have some grease on them to make the hoods slide better and there they found out that the hoods are not cleaned/degreased well enough before they went to paint. Therefore the corrosion always happened at the same spots/edges.

So I guess we can conclude that all 2015-2017 models have it but the cars that are parked outside all year round will most likely be bugged sooner by corrosion than those safely parked inside. On mine it started after I had a thick layer of snow on it for a few days, also caused my water leak at the a-pillar stickers during the same time.

Another thing I pointed out was that my hood looks different that my original, small difference though... like the lines above the headlights are straighter and sharper than my original, my original was a bit more rounded off. Also one side sits about 4mm lower next to the fender than the other side while the front lines up perfectly, and we don't know how to solve this.

So now it appears that Ford has 3 presses for the hoods at the factory and none are 100% the same, even if a robot press get off a little they just keep pressing hoods, so if one get a little different so will the next in line be!

Slightly different approach than in Europe, if a press goes off a bit it gets fine-tuned before they press a new batch.

Last edited:

16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
Mine goes in on Monday I tried to go the fiberglass route but Ford said no.mines ruby red so if it doesn't match they'll do it again till they get it right.I'm hoping for the best.
20190404_083936.jpg

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Fortunately, I was able to get the OK to replace my hood about 2 weeks before my bumper-to-bumper warranty ran out. Does anyone know how long they usually keep the car for when replacing the hood? My car is a daily driver so I'm hoping it's not like a week or more. I was told they have to call the paint shop and schedule an appointment for me. I believe he said they normally keep it 2 days, which seems really fast if that's true.

Mr. 550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
Stang GT
[MENTION=14108]RIBS[/MENTION]

Have you opened a Case with your regional Ford Customer Service Rep? This is separate from dealing with the Ford Service Center.

Once you call and get the Ford CSR, you state your concerns (professionally) and also how upset you are about having to deal with this on a vehicle you worked hard to purchase, and as a customer you feel that Ford is not doing the right thing to make you whole. The CSR will issue an actual Case #. That Case # now elevates your vehicle to a higher priority level and the CSR may get a local Ford FSE involved who will visit the Dealership; he/she will examine the concern in person and be able to document the concern back to Ford (sometimes better than the Techs or yourself).

The Case # will stay with the vehicle/owner until the Case is deemed closed by your satisfaction of the repair OR if the claim cannot be warranteed.

Here is a Ford Corp. # I have that will get you going:
1-800-392-3673 / select Option 5

Once you get a person on the phone, you ask to speak with a Ford Regional Rep for your location (State/Town).

—

I can’t stress it enough to anyone having difficulties getting made whole with a Ford vehicle concern, whether it’s warranty related OR your having difficulties dealing with the people at your Service Center - use the info above and get a Case # established. This not only gets you better assistance, BUT it’s all documented. Once you do get an assigned Ford CSR, make sure you email him/her when at all possible to continue further documentation in the event there are future concerns OR if ending up in a Lemon Law/Buy Back situation.

IMO, Ford should do the right thing in your instance, because that is CLEARLY a metallurgic issue, which will only proceed to get much worse as time passes. Even if the car never sees moisture or salt to add to the existing corrosion, that metallurgic reaction just continues on its own - very much like once a metal body panel has been breached with rust. The only way to resolve rust or metallurgic issues is to cut it out or replace the panel.

Sponsored

Mr. 550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
Stang GT
[MENTION=14108]RIBS[/MENTION]

Have you opened a Case with your regional Ford Customer Service Rep? This is separate from dealing with the Ford Service Center.

Once you call and get the Ford CSR, you state your concerns (professionally) and also how upset you are about having to deal with this on a vehicle you worked hard to purchase, and as a customer you feel that Ford is not doing the right thing to make you whole. The CSR will issue an actual Case #. That Case # now elevates your vehicle to a higher priority level and the CSR may get a local Ford FSE involved who will visit the Dealership; he/she will examine the concern in person and be able to document the concern back to Ford (sometimes better than the Techs or yourself).

The Case # will stay with the vehicle/owner until the Case is deemed closed by your satisfaction of the repair OR if the claim cannot be warranteed.

Here is a Ford Corp. # I have that will get you going:
1-800-392-3673 / select Option 5

Once you get a person on the phone, you ask to speak with a Ford Regional Rep for your location (State/Town).

—yes I have same problem with my Ruby red 2015 GT. The dealership said Ford denied. So I called and started a case. Ford called me back 1 day later and said will speak to the dealership and maybe try to help pay or work something out. Guess that's the best? Dana Ford NYC!

I can’t stress it enough to anyone having difficulties getting made whole with a Ford vehicle concern, whether it’s warranty related OR your having difficulties dealing with the people at your Service Center - use the info above and get a Case # established. This not only gets you better assistance, BUT it’s all documented. Once you do get an assigned Ford CSR, make sure you email him/her when at all possible to continue further documentation in the event there are future concerns OR if ending up in a Lemon Law/Buy Back situation.

IMO, Ford should do the right thing in your instance, because that is CLEARLY a metallurgic issue, which will only proceed to get much worse as time passes. Even if the car never sees moisture or salt to add to the existing corrosion, that metallurgic reaction just continues on its own - very much like once a metal body panel has been breached with rust. The only way to resolve rust or metallurgic issues is to cut it out or replace the panel.

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
2019, purchased 1 year ago. Was on the dealer lot 2 days. Been dry garaged, since purchased. Never driven in rain or been washed. Ford provided the hood pre-corroded.... Really pathetic.
20200607_152938.jpg

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
My hood is really bad now. In my previous post I said they agreed to replace my hood, however when I took it back to the dealer they said they would only repair and repaint that spot, not replace the hood. I told them Ford suggested the hood should be replaced per the TSB, but he said they don't do that. Anyway, the hood now has several more spots all along the front edge, so by using their method I would have to go back there every few months to have the new spots fixed as they appear. Luckily, I have a 2016, which I believe was the start of the better corrosion warranty? Anyway, I'll have to find a new dealer who's willing to replace the hood.
Sponsored