Sponsored

No manual transmission, only 7 speed DCT?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Both competitors offer a manual still too, so not having it would put them at a disadvantage.
So you are saying a company that decides to stop selling ANY car in the US except the Mustang would never decide to not offer a manual trans in one Mustang model?
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Both competitors offer a manual still too, so not having it would put them at a disadvantage.
I'd say only from a possible marketing perspective, like someone said earlier, it's all about numbers on websites (and I guess magazines if those are still a thing ...).

With a single transmission, that really is the control and efficiency of a manual, but that can shift faster, with no mistakes, and the entire car can be engineered around, they can better target their performance numbers. If anything, the two transmissions create a little noise, with the "The auto is faster in X/Y/Z, the manual faster in A/B/C", narrative, including the constant testing and reviews where all of us go "Why didn't they compare the ...".

This might give Ford a story where they can say, "Bring your manual, we'll clean up at the road course", bring your auto, we'll beat you at the 1/4 mile, one transmission, that does everything really well.

Just to frame this, I love my manual, I had to source a manual PP convertible 10 states away back in '15, my last 20 years of (my personal) vehicles have been manuals, including cars where that's the only option, but I get why they might decide to go all in on a single transmission option, especially a DCT.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
A manual GT500 was photographed just a few months ago. So clearly they have some form of a manual that works with the car. Why would they go to the trouble of getting it to work well enough to be drivable on public roads if they had no plans to sell it? Both competitors offer a manual still too, so not having it would put them at a disadvantage.
Source: https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/16/ford-shelby-gt500-manual-transmission-spy-photos-video/
I know it’s already been covered but the first time I saw those pictures I asked myself “why does it have paddle shifters if it’s a Manual? And then by looking at the position (and height) of the gearknob I realized that it was just a decoy....
1E7D7145-12BB-43F9-A286-CFBE4B08E60B.jpeg

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
No doubt the drivers were schooled on maintaining the appearance that the shifter was functional. Tough to discern from a single image but his leg doesn't look to be in a position to engage the clutch. You're right...the paddle shifters tell the real story.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I know it’s already been covered but the first time I saw those pictures I asked myself “why does it have paddle shifters if it’s a Manual? And then by looking at the position (and height) of the gearknob I realized that it was just a decoy....
That's actually a High/Low range selector for the AWD system ...

*backs slowly away*

Sponsored

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The take rate for manuals across the board is very small and getting smaller. I wonder how many auto GT350s would have been sold to people who don't know how to drive stick. You can't get supercars in manuals anymore and Hellcats and Demons are selling alright without a manual option.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
The take rate for manuals across the board is very small and getting smaller. I wonder how many auto GT350s would have been sold to people who don't know how to drive stick. You can't get supercars in manuals anymore and Hellcats and Demons are selling alright without a manual option.
When did the manual option get eliminated from the hellcat?

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
For what it's worth the manual Corvettes and Camaros have those paddle shifters as well. they are to turn on the active rev matching feature. Don't go by the paddles on the steering wheel. Like you all, i'm curious as all hell to see what Ford comes up with.

If you just give in to the fact that the car will get here sooner rather than later, the wait is actually kind of exciting.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
been hearing this for awhile. likely drive some purists away, and bring in quite a few others. i'm sure it'll be nasty, but i'm not ready to stop using my left leg just yet
This ↑↑↑

DCTs are absolutely bad ass on track (i.e., a road course) as well.

I totally understand why they'd want to do this, design the power delivery, electronics, everything, around a single, computer controlled DCT - it's one of the things that made the GT-R so effective, even at its weight/HP.
That's the thing - DCTs seem to be very good in a track environment. Less so in mild to moderate street driving.

Plus, it'll still feel like an automatic when you pull away from a full stop.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm sick and tired of hearing that this is a drag car. No piece of hardware on the GT500 that we've seen on any mule screams a 1320 slayer regardless if it cooks a killer quarter mile or not.
Sorry, there's just no getting around it; supercharging just screams 'straight lines' and 'dragstrip'. Certainly here in the USA where the automotive performance scene is something like 90% oriented toward launching and straight lines.

Norm

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Sorry, there's just no getting around it; supercharging just screams 'straight lines' and 'dragstrip'. Certainly here in the USA where the automotive performance scene is something like 90% oriented toward launching and straight lines.

Norm
With all the gimicks coming on BMW's and Mercs, seems like that's where it's all going now in mindset. Except for Drift Modes, I suppose.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
I am going to guess, stick shift trans at about $85K and the auto upgrade will cost about an additional $20K.

:)
Sponsored