Sponsored

The timeline of waiting for 181 days, delivered!

mondos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Raimond
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Conv. PP1 Manual
I went through many if not all of the problems with ordering, waiting and COTUS as mentioned in the threads and making long, but hopefully informative post. I could have made longer like this is: NEVER Factory order a Mustang, because I had very similar experience, but I believe in Rated R Cars moto: "Always be nicer than necessary".

Just to want to show you that patients delivers and keeping it calm makes life so much more enjoyable. It will arrive, the updates will come and a special order car is what I wanted. I would do it all again, because I got what I wanted. Don't get me wrong, I do sincerely hope that Ford does improve upon current state!

Ordered the car at the dealer: 03/06/2018

This is the day I made a $2500 down-payment to get Showstoper Red interior. I was told it takes 8, more likely 10 weeks to get the car.

Car was speced as 2018 GT Premium Convertible, manual, Ruby Red/Showstopper Red with Preformance Pack, Magne-Ride, AVE, 401A, SnS, Shaker Pro

Order date by the dealer: 03/06/2018, wait time 4 days

I also received a Preview Order which has all the details to start tracking in COTUS. Dealer said there is no DORA or other acronymes anymore. No DORA’s from Ford anymore?

Ford declines the order: 03/28/2018, wait time 22 days, from the start 26 days

Ordered '18, but Ford would not build anymore - out of manual boxes
Not able to build PP1 with manual. Forum talks about Magne-Ride availability issues, but we know now that they have problems with the gearbox shift forks.

Order date for 2019: 04/02/2018, wait time 5 days, from the start 31 days

Car was speced as 2019 GT Premium Convertible, manual, Ruby Red/Showstopper Red with Preformance Pack, Magne-Ride, Active Valve Exhaust, 401A, Smart and Safe, B&O Play Premium Audio

I had some F-150 show up in the COTUS. It disappeared later and I had the not-exact-car-found error for the longest time. No VIN yet.

In Order Processing, got VIN: 06/12/2018, wait 71 days, from the start 102 days.

It was the first time the car showed up in COTUS. The dealer forwarded me the VIN. It showed all the details except the interior color. I ordered Showstopper Red and the interior pictures had the color and I hoped it hints that it indeed is the color it's going to come with.

No update from the dealer after this and COTUS was my only source of flaky information. No EDD yet.

In Production: 07/16/2018, wait 34 days, from the start 136 days

I had several EDD's at this point: 08/12, then removed, then 08/16, then all data removed, then back again etc.

This update gave me the Green Window Sticker and I could finally verify all the info.

Awaiting Shipping (production complete): 7/24/2018, wait 8 days, from the start 144 days

EDD pushed out form 8/16 to 8/29 which was +/- day it got delivered. EDD was removed and change multiple times of course after this point.

In Transit: 07/30/2018, wait 6 days, from the start 150 days.

The update showed that it was in transit from the production complete day. It just came later.

Awaiting Shipping: 08/08/2018, wait 9 days, from the start 159 days

Conveyance Mechanical Failure in Portola, CA. EDD removed. I understood that the railroad car broke somehow and they could not get the cars off. Anybody knows what happened there? Can you imagine what I felt not knowing if my car is OK after so long wait?

In Transit: 08/25/2018, wait 17 days, from the start 176 days

So, it was just waiting somewhere for most of the August.

Dealer asks what time I would like to pick it up: 08/28/2018, wait 3 days, from the start 179 days

I also got following picture with the extremely short, but informative email. COTUS update about delivery came day later.
IMG_0862.jpg

Taking delivery: 08/30/2018, wait time 2 days, from the start 181 days. That is very close to 6 months.

Some argue here in the forum that wait start time should be the time it is processed or even in production. I look it from the customer point of view. I went to dealer and paid $2500 down to get the Showstopper Red and the start day for me is the day I made the payment. Ford does not provide any information of processing and production reliably and up front. We have the COTUS which is nice, but not something I would make a commitment. I waited 181 days and I could not affect they had a year change or something else going on. My dealer told I could order and that's my start date.

I'll talk about the car it self after I have had it bit more and this post is way too long anyway.
Sponsored

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
To be honest that’s not very difficult to beat, as I ordered a MY18 GT on the 20th February in Triple Yellow, this was cancelled in April, had to choose another colour for MY19 as TY no longer available so went with Need For Green for MY19, at least this one has been built 1st August and is sat at the docks waiting to ship across the pond, estimated delivery to dealer early October but I hope it might be sooner

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
A very well written post. What strikes me as odd is that I ordered way after you did, but our dates, from production on, aren't that different. I went looking for an `18 on 6/9 and there wasn't anything similar to what I wanted within a couple hundred miles. The big problem seemed to be the MT, there were only a handful left and none had the showstopper red interior that I just had to have. I mentioned that I'd be willing to order it to get what I want and it was only a few minutes before the salesman came back and told me that any order would have to be for a '19.
To be honest, my very first thought was "when do they begin production on 2019s," I knew this had to impact how long it would take to get the car. In my case timing didn't matter much, I had a 2014 Passat TDI that VW was buying back and I could turn it in anytime before the end of November with 2 weeks notice.
I went ahead and ordered that day, 6/9, and and put down 10%, I never got anything with the dealer number on it. I texted the salesman about 10 days later to ask for it and he gave me the VIN.
From there it went smoothly, I got a COTUS update and window sticker a week before the blend date. Id decided to wait for production to be completed befor scheduling the VW turn in thinking it would take at least 2 weeks to show up at the dealer, and was a little surprised that it took 2 weeks to be completed.
I got the COTUS update that production was completed and then 3 hours later got another update that it was in transit. I went to the VW site and scheduled the turn in for the first available date, that's when my EDD started moving up, from 8/26 to 8/22 to 8/19,
On 8/15 I got another COTUS update, "EDD removed," I checked COTUS and it was listed as "delivered." I waited all day for a call from the dealer but the call never came. I waited most of the next day and texted my salesman, it turned out he was on vacation but he called the dealership and the car was there. It was in transit for only 8 days. I ended up using my home equity line for a week until I got my money from VW.
In my case, COTUS worked well, but obviously that isn't the case for everyone. I can see both sides when it comes to figuring out wait times. As a buyer, you are waiting from the day you place the order. OTOH, those who ordered in February through May, you had to know going in that the '19s weren't being produced yet and that it would be a while before production would begin. The delays seem excessive in some cases, cars ordered in the spring should have been expected to arrive in July or early August.
In the end, I hope everyone is happy with their cars and can leave the delay behind.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I went through many if not all of the problems with ordering, waiting and COTUS as mentioned in the threads and making long, but hopefully informative post. I could have made longer like this is: NEVER Factory order a Mustang, because I had very similar experience, but I believe in Rated R Cars moto: "Always be nicer than necessary".

Just to want to show you that patients delivers and keeping it calm makes life so much more enjoyable. It will arrive, the updates will come and a special order car is what I wanted. I would do it all again, because I got what I wanted. Don't get me wrong, I do sincerely hope that Ford does improve upon current state!

Ordered the car at the dealer: 03/06/2018

This is the day I made a $2500 down-payment to get Showstoper Red interior. I was told it takes 8, more likely 10 weeks to get the car.

Car was speced as 2018 GT Premium Convertible, manual, Ruby Red/Showstopper Red with Preformance Pack, Magne-Ride, AVE, 401A, SnS, Shaker Pro

Order date by the dealer: 03/06/2018, wait time 4 days

I also received a Preview Order which has all the details to start tracking in COTUS. Dealer said there is no DORA or other acronymes anymore. No DORA’s from Ford anymore?

Ford declines the order: 03/28/2018, wait time 22 days, from the start 26 days

Ordered '18, but Ford would not build anymore - out of manual boxes
Not able to build PP1 with manual. Forum talks about Magne-Ride availability issues, but we know now that they have problems with the gearbox shift forks.

Order date for 2019: 04/02/2018, wait time 5 days, from the start 31 days

Car was speced as 2019 GT Premium Convertible, manual, Ruby Red/Showstopper Red with Preformance Pack, Magne-Ride, Active Valve Exhaust, 401A, Smart and Safe, B&O Play Premium Audio

I had some F-150 show up in the COTUS. It disappeared later and I had the not-exact-car-found error for the longest time. No VIN yet.

In Order Processing, got VIN: 06/12/2018, wait 71 days, from the start 102 days.

It was the first time the car showed up in COTUS. The dealer forwarded me the VIN. It showed all the details except the interior color. I ordered Showstopper Red and the interior pictures had the color and I hoped it hints that it indeed is the color it's going to come with.

No update from the dealer after this and COTUS was my only source of flaky information. No EDD yet.

In Production: 07/16/2018, wait 34 days, from the start 136 days

I had several EDD's at this point: 08/12, then removed, then 08/16, then all data removed, then back again etc.

This update gave me the Green Window Sticker and I could finally verify all the info.

Awaiting Shipping (production complete): 7/24/2018, wait 8 days, from the start 144 days

EDD pushed out form 8/16 to 8/29 which was +/- day it got delivered. EDD was removed and change multiple times of course after this point.

In Transit: 07/30/2018, wait 6 days, from the start 150 days.

The update showed that it was in transit from the production complete day. It just came later.

Awaiting Shipping: 08/08/2018, wait 9 days, from the start 159 days

Conveyance Mechanical Failure in Portola, CA. EDD removed. I understood that the railroad car broke somehow and they could not get the cars off. Anybody knows what happened there? Can you imagine what I felt not knowing if my car is OK after so long wait?

In Transit: 08/25/2018, wait 17 days, from the start 176 days

So, it was just waiting somewhere for most of the August.

Dealer asks what time I would like to pick it up: 08/28/2018, wait 3 days, from the start 179 days

I also got following picture with the extremely short, but informative email. COTUS update about delivery came day later.
IMG_0862.jpg

Taking delivery: 08/30/2018, wait time 2 days, from the start 181 days. That is very close to 6 months.

Some argue here in the forum that wait start time should be the time it is processed or even in production. I look it from the customer point of view. I went to dealer and paid $2500 down to get the Showstopper Red and the start day for me is the day I made the payment. Ford does not provide any information of processing and production reliably and up front. We have the COTUS which is nice, but not something I would make a commitment. I waited 181 days and I could not affect they had a year change or something else going on. My dealer told I could order and that's my start date.

I'll talk about the car it self after I have had it bit more and this post is way too long anyway.
Sorry to hear it took so long to get your car. Just a couple observations:

1. Seems like your dealer did not really help you out
2. Production on 19's did not start until some time in June
3. The time it took to get your 19 seems about average what everyone is seeing ~2 months (they said 8-10 weeks)
4. Just a guess but you may have gotten the 18 if it were an auto (I would never order a auto mustang either!). The MT was updated with rev matching which makes sense on why they "ran out" of them to build yours

Why did you need to give such are large down payment in March? They should have taken your order is no deposit or maybe a few hundred dollars.

Anyway, glad to see you now have it. I would go to a different dealer for sure next time as they really seem to have been the problem from the start.

OP
OP
mondos

mondos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Raimond
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Conv. PP1 Manual
I ordered a MY18 GT on the 20th February in Triple Yellow, this was cancelled in April, had to choose another colour for MY19 as TY no longer available so went with Need For Green for MY19
I'm sorry that you had wait even longer and actually even loose the change to get the color you wanted. I would be rather sad if I would not get the color I wanted. Your comment shows again just how many are in the same boat of waiting way too long due to Ford internal processes.

A very well written post. What strikes me as odd is that I ordered way after you did, but our dates, from production on, aren't that different. I went looking for an `18 on 6/9 and there wasn't anything similar to what I wanted within a couple hundred miles. The big problem seemed to be the MT, there were only a handful left and none had the showstopper red interior that I just had to have.
As a buyer, you are waiting from the day you place the order. OTOH, those who ordered in February through May, you had to know going in that the '19s weren't being produced yet and that it would be a while before production would begin.
In the end, I hope everyone is happy with their cars and can leave the delay behind.
I also just had to have the Showstopper Red as I wanted color into the cockpit. Ford did not build manuals for some time and that seems to cause shortage of availability. I also would have taken from the lot if there would have been car with exact spec available, but that was not the case.

I got the VIN on 6/12 and you ordered 06/09 and got VIN also short after. It seems that the '19 is on track now and the delay was specific to '18 problems and long window of not producing certain specs. Good to know that current orders would be delivered much faster.

Ford was taking '18 orders in Feb - May timeframe and I didn't know that I would need to wait that long. I was told that I would get it in May until it turned out that specific spec could not be built. The dealer also didn't know that they would not be able to get the vehicle to me. Dealers were denying short '18 production and were much less aware than the this forum. Ford did break the promise there.

1. Seems like your dealer did not really help you out
2. Production on 19's did not start until some time in June
3. The time it took to get your 19 seems about average what everyone is seeing ~2 months (they said 8-10 weeks)
4. Just a guess but you may have gotten the 18 if it were an auto (I would never order a auto mustang either!). The MT was updated with rev matching which makes sense on why they "ran out" of them to build yours

Why did you need to give such are large down payment in March? They should have taken your order is no deposit or maybe a few hundred dollars.
1. The dealer was not as aware as this forum about the problems with '18. They assumed that they would be able to get the car to me in normal timeframe (8 - 10 weeks). They did call me once I followed up on the order and were very sorry about the situation and were willing to refund the down payment once '18 got canceled. I just wish that dealers would be more informed and proactive about informing about delays, but the delay it self was not caused by them.
2. True, '19 production started in June and that was known.
3. Ford took '19 orders from April and I waited from that point over 21 weeks. True that most of it was while they were not even actually scheduling them. I waited 11.5 weeks from the moment of getting the VIN and 2 weeks from there was due to a transit problem. This shows that the wait was a due to specific circumstance which do not exist anymore.
4. I agree that running out of them could have been due to rev matching becoming available.
5. I had trouble finding a dealer that would even allow me to order Showstopper Red interior as they said that they would not be able to sell it if I would back out from the order. So, I found one that would order, but then they wanted large down payment.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I'm sorry that you had wait even longer and actually even loose the change to get the color you wanted. I would be rather sad if I would not get the color I wanted. Your comment shows again just how many are in the same boat of waiting way too long due to Ford internal processes.

I put the dealer as #1 as that is where the buck stops. Material shortages are a common issue in complex manufacturing. Unfortunate when they happen but not a surprise. After thinking about it more, I can see where the dealer may be hesitant to just take your order as the color combo is rather unique. I guess they had a point on being able to sell it if you backed out. I don't like showstopper red seats, but with Ruby Red, that to me would clash. Only worse color I think would be green. Nothing personal, just not my preference.

I also just had to have the Showstopper Red as I wanted color into the cockpit. Ford did not build manuals for some time and that seems to cause shortage of availability. I also would have taken from the lot if there would have been car with exact spec available, but that was not the case.

I got the VIN on 6/12 and you ordered 06/09 and got VIN also short after. It seems that the '19 is on track now and the delay was specific to '18 problems and long window of not producing certain specs. Good to know that current orders would be delivered much faster.

Ford was taking '18 orders in Feb - May timeframe and I didn't know that I would need to wait that long. I was told that I would get it in May until it turned out that specific spec could not be built. The dealer also didn't know that they would not be able to get the vehicle to me. Dealers were denying short '18 production and were much less aware than the this forum. Ford did break the promise there.

1. The dealer was not as aware as this forum about the problems with '18. They assumed that they would be able to get the car to me in normal timeframe (8 - 10 weeks). They did call me once I followed up on the order and were very sorry about the situation and were willing to refund the down payment once '18 got canceled. I just wish that dealers would be more informed and proactive about informing about delays, but the delay it self was not caused by them.
2. True, '19 production started in June and that was known.
3. Ford took '19 orders from April and I waited from that point over 21 weeks. True that most of it was while they were not even actually scheduling them. I waited 11.5 weeks from the moment of getting the VIN and 2 weeks from there was due to a transit problem. This shows that the wait was a due to specific circumstance which do not exist anymore.
4. I agree that running out of them could have been due to rev matching becoming available.
5. I had trouble finding a dealer that would even allow me to order Showstopper Red interior as they said that they would not be able to sell it if I would back out from the order. So, I found one that would order, but then they wanted large down payment.

In my opinion the clock really did not start to tick until June when production on 2019's started, but I can see your point on being frustrated that you did not get it in May. The real culprit here is your dealer as I believe they would know if anything is constrained or least they could find out sooner than the couple weeks it took them.

At least you have what you wanted now though, I very cool unique Mustang!
Sponsored