Sponsored

Ford Not Honoring Warranty (Front Splitter)

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
Good follow-up e-mail from the phone call.

Now you will have to call 10x again until you get Mr. Redacted to act.

Good luck!!! Persistence will pay off.
Sponsored

Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
I've had miserable interactions with Ford customer service. Enjoy that. My R is the last ford I buy.

FORDSTANGER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 TP
I can't believe this splitter issue is still around after 4 years. There are numerous threads on multiple forums with hundreds of owners stating their case with dealers across the country. When I bought my 350 almost 3 years ago, I didn't know of the problem. Fortunately, I learned of the issue on this forum and inspected my splitter and discovered it was missing fasteners and had a gap in the middle. Armed with the install video from Ford Performance, (which the dealer was unaware of), . . .
Still a problem. Just saw a new Orange Fury in the parking lot at work. I approached him as he got out of the car a few weeks ago and pointed out his was clearly not installed correctly. Unfortunately it seemed like he did not care so it will not be reported back to the dealer as a dealer install failure.

This is a dealer issue. Mine was properly installed by the original dealer then subsequently botched by a different dealer for the oil cooler recall.

Sad.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Thanks for the quick feedback. Maybe I’ll push harder on the original dealer but it still seems very strange for me to have to deal with them considering that I didn’t hire them to do the work. I would technically be going after one of Ford’s installers. This is not an aftermarket part that I paid to have installed. This is a vital/included part of the complete car I purchased from ford. I know how the process works with the splitter installation but would be surprised it the proper channel is to go after the dealer directly. I guess I’ll be finding out now
You bought the car from a dealer. Think of this like buying a refrigerator and the store delivery drops it. It's not Whirlpool's fault but Whirlpool may keep statistics about that type of problem and drop the store or otherwise discipline them if outside targets. Since the dealer is an independent business, Ford can't force them to do anything that isn't in the contract.

Since a major reason forums exist is to spread the word about problems so others can avoid them, post the name of the dealer that installed the splitter.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
This happened to me a while back on my 16 track packs. I took it to the dealer where it was purchased and they said it was not a warranty item because it was not the part that failed. I knew of splitters doing this after the fact due to a post on here titled "check your splitters install".

The argument I made was that all the necessary screws were not installed and the splitter pulled away under load.

They agreed to order a new splitter and I got to keep the old one.

Your problem is with the dealer where you bought the car however Ford should cover this.

It's not a lawyer issue. This is a $300 part. Unless there was damage to the tabs or anywhere on the car, I'd move on and chalk it up to a lesson learned. About as far as I'd press it would have the local dealer provide documentation to the purchase dealership that they screwed up and to pay for the part. At that time, you decide to install it yourself or have your local dealer do the work.

Sorry to hear this but you are not the first not will you be the last.

Sponsored

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
You bought a complete Ford. However Ford decides to get that complete car to you is on them.

They should make this right. But I know they might not.

rj45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic Metallic
When a situation like this happens, Ford customer service should contact the selling dealer and handle the issue for the customer. Have the servicing dealer perform the repairs and the selling dealer is charged - end of story. The customer should not be doing all the leg work, i.e. making a million phone calls and being put off to next rep, manager, etc. That’s the kind of service that creates repeat customers.

OP
OP
f10550i

f10550i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
This happened to me a while back on my 16 track packs. I took it to the dealer where it was purchased and they said it was not a warranty item because it was not the part that failed. I knew of splitters doing this after the fact due to a post on here titled "check your splitters install".

The argument I made was that all the necessary screws were not installed and the splitter pulled away under load.

They agreed to order a new splitter and I got to keep the old one.

Your problem is with the dealer where you bought the car however Ford should cover this.

It's not a lawyer issue. This is a $300 part. Unless there was damage to the tabs or anywhere on the car, I'd move on and chalk it up to a lesson learned. About as far as I'd press it would have the local dealer provide documentation to the purchase dealership that they screwed up and to pay for the part. At that time, you decide to install it yourself or have your local dealer do the work.

Sorry to hear this but you are not the first not will you be the last.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like you dealt with the exact same issue. At the end of the day, I'm not worried about if the installing dealer or Ford pays for the fix as long as it's not me. I think everyone has shared realistic perspectives explaining why it should be one way or the other and it really comes down to what Ford's policy is. The disappointing fact is that this is a common issue and rather than facilitating a solution, Ford instead plays the blame game by pushing liability away from itself without explanation and offers no support for customers. I do still believe that this could be fought with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act because of the reasons I've described in previous posts but I also view any small time litigation as a lose-lose proposition. Unfortunately, when my part came off, it also damaged the under tray that it's attached to so both parts will need to be replaced and the estimate I have received was $1000. I'd prefer not to shell out the money of course but considering that's less than the cost of new tires, this is more about principal. It'd be great to get Ford's attention and set president for a solution here so I can help other owners out who go through the same issue in the future.

I think everyone here can agree that this is not how things should be handled when a defective car/part fails while under a bumber to bumber warranty.

OP
OP
f10550i

f10550i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
When a situation like this happens, Ford customer service should contact the selling dealer and handle the issue for the customer. Have the servicing dealer perform the repairs and the selling dealer is charged - end of story. The customer should not be doing all the leg work, i.e. making a million phone calls and being put off to next rep, manager, etc. That’s the kind of service that creates repeat customers.
100%, Couldn't agree more.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
you may want to take a look at the back side of the bumper also, it can damage those tabs too

Sponsored

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
I don't think FoMoCo has responsibility for dealer-installed parts/accessories (not including a design or material flaw) . That responsibility falls squarely on the shoulders of the delivery dealership. I recommend you forego legal procedings (i.e. save your money and time) and purchase a new R-model front splitter and install it yourself.

OP
OP
f10550i

f10550i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I don't think FoMoCo has responsibility for dealer-installed parts/accessories (not including a design or material flaw) . That responsibility falls squarely on the shoulders of the delivery dealership. I recommend you forego legal procedings (i.e. save your money and time) and purchase a new R-model front splitter and install it yourself.
I'm not interested in modifying the car and having a more expensive splitter that I assume scrapes more easily. I daily drive the car and don't care about having a different look or an unnoticeable increase in down force. I have modified and worked on cars in the past but am content to enjoy this one as is and spend my energy doing things other than working on cars.
I still have hope for a reasonable outcome and as stated before, see litigation as a lose-lose scenario. Conversely, I tend to be very persistent and am unwilling to throw $1000 away just because of some push back. If I have to throw $1000 and some of my time in the garbage can, I'd rather it go towards making things right rather than giving up and paying when I shouldn't have to.

OP
OP
f10550i

f10550i

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I just got off the phone with most senior person at Ford who made the decision about not warrantying the splitter. He was actually willing to tell me why. After a long conversation where I made all of the above points, the conclusion more concisely came down to this...

-He says based on the pictures under my car, the side pieces of my splitter have scratch marks that indicate damage.
-I say nearly all of these cars have light scraping and I don't believe there is any precedent showing this is enough to cause a total failure. In addition to this, many splitters have been documented as being installed incorrectly and have failed due to this. An authorized Ford dealership has noted missing hardware consistent with an improper installation.
-He says there is no way for him to verify improper installation, this is between me and the installing dealer. He calls the splitter an "aftermarket part" and says again I damaged the car due to scraping.
-I explain that it is not an aftermarket part and is a part of a complete GT350 as delivered to the consumer.
-He says that's not how they see it and my issue is with the installing dealer.
-I then ask if He/Ford can help facilitate a solution with the installing dealer.
-Short answer is "No, but good luck with everything Sir"

Final answer is that Ford is unwilling to do anything at all to help.
I emailed a link to this forum post to Mr. Yates (Don't remember his first name) and he said he's pretty busy but might read it even though it's very unlikely to change the outcome. Either way, it is confirmed that I am getting strong armed whether i agree with it or not.
Now step 1 is to work out a solution with the original installing dealer. The service manager has been out recently so I am expecting to talk to him tomorrow.
Step 2 if necessary is to call my attorney for advice on the legal options and decide who to go after and at what cost to me.
Step 3 if necessary is to call it a day and pay for a new splitter.

Either way, This is my last Ford. Unfortunately, their poor system for handling legitimate customer concerns/claims has made this a more common sentiment as seen in other member's posts.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like you dealt with the exact same issue. At the end of the day, I'm not worried about if the installing dealer or Ford pays for the fix as long as it's not me. I think everyone has shared realistic perspectives explaining why it should be one way or the other and it really comes down to what Ford's policy is. The disappointing fact is that this is a common issue and rather than facilitating a solution, Ford instead plays the blame game by pushing liability away from itself without explanation and offers no support for customers. I do still believe that this could be fought with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act because of the reasons I've described in previous posts but I also view any small time litigation as a lose-lose proposition. Unfortunately, when my part came off, it also damaged the under tray that it's attached to so both parts will need to be replaced and the estimate I have received was $1000. I'd prefer not to shell out the money of course but considering that's less than the cost of new tires, this is more about principal. It'd be great to get Ford's attention and set president for a solution here so I can help other owners out who go through the same issue in the future.

I think everyone here can agree that this is not how things should be handled when a defective car/part fails while under a bumber to bumber warranty.
If your front facia was ruined because the splitter was not correctly installed, then that's a whole different animal. To make it like it never happened, it would cost way more than $1,000. You'd be looking at the lower fascia (which contain the splitter tabs), paint to match, OEM stripes, and splitter.

If your tabs were damaged, you are in way more than a grand.

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
I’ve had excellent results dealing with my local dealership. Unfortunately, they are not all like mine. I’m sorry that your splitter fell off and no one is taking responsibility. $hit happens. You can get a new OEM non-R splitter on eBay for $385. The reason I recommended getting an R model splitter is that it looks way better, IMHO.
Sponsored