tarabrae

How's the serenity?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback MT
I think I was reading in the manual that if you are on level ground (or downslope presumably) it's recommended to take off in second gear. I've never driven a six speed car before, but I do drive a six speed fire truck and we do take off in second in that, unless on an upslope, in rough terrain or maneuvering at the station. It makes sense that first gear in a six speed might be lower than usual, plus we know there is plenty of torque in this engine for a second gear start.

So for the lucky buggers that have taken delivery, have you actually been doing this?
Sponsored

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
The way I generally do it is if I am at a complete standstill, like after a red light, I start in 1st.
If I'm rolling even a tiny bit, I start in 2nd.
Haven't had any issues, the abundant low end torque takes care of everything :D

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
Also, if you take off in first and can skip 2nd and go directly to 3rd.
Like EvilM if I'm rolling a little I start in 2nd and sometimes skip 3rd and go to 4th. Depends on traffic and mood.

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT convertible Oxford White
I've been taking off in 1st, with the speed to revs ratio I would say it'd run out to nearly 70km/h in first gear, so I don't see the problem.

IMO taking off in second gear opens you up to accelerated clutch wear, particularly if you have to give it a few more revs to take off, versus basically idling away in first.

It may be different in a car with 3.73s, but with the ratio we get I don't think there's any issue.

Aussie MustangGT

2016 Mustang GT Auto
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Auto
Hey Wil, I just thought I would check. What's it like to own and drive a Mustang? I just thought I would get your opinion before old age catches up with me :(
Cheers,
Ian.

Sponsored

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT convertible Oxford White
Hey Wil, I just thought I would check. What's it like to own and drive a Mustang? I just thought I would get your opinion before old age catches up with me :(
Cheers,
Ian.
It's absolutely amazing Ian, I've never hopped into a car and driven it for the first time and have it feel so right.

Yes, there are some cheap plastics etc, but they honestly are a sensational beast, especially for the money.

Not long now mate and you'll be experiencing it for yourself! :cheers:

nzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Fastback GT MT PP
I haven't come across that myself in the manual, and have only be taking off from standstill in first. With the torque of the engine it would be easy enough to take off in second, but I would also be worried about premature clutch wear. I actually drive a 6 speed mitsi fire truck sometimes as well, and also use 2nd on the flat in that.

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
I heard ut could also mess with syncros, not sure if true or not.

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance
im a 1st to 3rd all day long from a dead stop. if im rolling, I start in 2nd.

Red Stang 302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Fastback GT 5.0 - Manual - Race Red
I currently have a HSV Clubsport R8, manual.

I normally go 1st to 3rd then to 4th or 3rd to 5th, depending on the speed limit.

Sponsored

AussieGreg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Ford Falcon FGMkII XR6 Turbo, 2016 Ford Mustang GT
Second if you are rolling. First if you are at a complete stop and starting.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
With my gear ratio, if I'm in traffic and everything slows down to a crawl, it takes a dead stop for me grab 1st instead of letting it purr along in 2nd. I prefer skipping 3rd when hitting it very hard from a stop. I've started in 2nd a few times, no big deal but prefer to use 1st.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
With my gear ratio, if I'm in traffic and everything slows down to a crawl, it takes a dead stop for me grab 1st instead of letting it purr along in 2nd. I prefer skipping 3rd when hitting it very hard from a stop. I've started in 2nd a few times, no big deal but prefer to use 1st.
I think I was reading in the manual that if you are on level ground (or downslope presumably) it's recommended to take off in second gear. I've never driven a six speed car before, but I do drive a six speed fire truck and we do take off in second in that, unless on an upslope, in rough terrain or maneuvering at the station. It makes sense that first gear in a six speed might be lower than usual, plus we know there is plenty of torque in this engine for a second gear start.

So for the lucky buggers that have taken delivery, have you actually been doing this?
Honestly, I have no idea why people are skipping gears or starting in anything but first.
Yes, it runs out quickly.
If you want to buy a new clutch prematurely, use second. Better yet, use third and save yourself the arduous task of shifting those first two cogs.
Or, buy an auto and let that left arm go to sleep entirely..

Seriously though, this V8 is NOT a powerhouse of torque. It likes to rev. Yes, itā€™ll pull third from a stop but you didnā€™t buy a V8 to enjoy sub-2 litre NA performance did you?

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
With the 3.73 I only use 1st at a dead stop. If I remember to do it I'll go 1st-3rd-5th, but I usually don't think about shifting and find myself rowing through all the gears.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, I have no idea why people are skipping gears or starting in anything but first.
Yes, it runs out quickly.
If you want to buy a new clutch prematurely, use second. Better yet, use third and save yourself the arduous task of shifting those first two cogs.
Or, buy an auto and let that left arm go to sleep entirely..

Seriously though, this V8 is NOT a powerhouse of torque. It likes to rev. Yes, itā€™ll pull third from a stop but you didnā€™t buy a V8 to enjoy sub-2 litre NA performance did you?
3rd from a start lol, Iā€™d never do that. Normally use 1st. About skipping gears it makes perfect sense in certain situations. If I want to get to 55-60 mph in a big hurry and settle my speed in there... 2nd gear goes to 50ish so dropping into 4th or even 5th allows for me to be done shifting with no hit to performance. Driving with normal acceleration I never skip gears.
Sponsored