Sponsored

OEM GT350R Spoiler or multiple CF pieces?

OP
OP
MrCincinnati

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I know corvettes are fiber glass which is why used the word “similiar”, you know, because they’re both epoxy woven synthetics. Anywho, like I said the down force wouldn’t hurt it and if it did your life certainly would be in any danger. It would just crack again. You’re over complicating the situation.
There's no need to get into an argument with you about it. You (nor I) haven't a clue what "would" happen... which is the point - with the structural integrity compromised there's a risk component that doesn't exist otherwise. How you would address that risk is your own decision - I've clearly stated how I've decided to address it.

Sponsored

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
There's no need to get into an argument with you about it. You (nor I) haven't a clue what "would" happen... which is the point - with the structural integrity compromised there's a risk component that doesn't exist otherwise. How you would address that risk is your own decision - I've clearly stated how I've decided to address it.

Not arguing. You’re looking for opinions and you got one.

OP
OP
MrCincinnati

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
*looks at the thread title*

Didn’t ask anyone’s opinion about whether I should repair it. Thanks tho.

Peace.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
You said "you're not going to be sitting on it."

Ford claimed the GT350R makes more downforce than the Porsche 911 GT3 at 150 mph. The 997.2 GT3 makes 220 lbs of downforce at 186mph, so likely well over 150 lbs at 150mph. Also, we know that Ford did disclose that the tiny little decklid wing on the new Mustang GT PP makes 35 lbs of downforce, and it's reasonable that the big R wing makes 5x the downforce at speed. That is indeed an average guy's weight "sitting" on the wing, and it's dynamic.

Aerodynamic pieces that actually function are truly structural. I would NOT trust a repaired CF wing. No way.

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
*looks at the thread title*

Didn’t ask anyone’s opinion about whether I should repair it. Thanks tho.

Peace.
You posted questions to a public forum lol -you even put a “?” at the end of it; that entails getting opinions. You’re welcome.

Ford claimed the GT350R makes more downforce than the Porsche 911 GT3 at 150 mph. The 997.2 GT3 makes 220 lbs of downforce at 186mph, so likely well over 150 lbs at 150mph. Also, we know that Ford did disclose that the tiny little decklid wing on the new Mustang GT PP makes 35 lbs of downforce, and it's reasonable that the big R wing makes 5x the downforce at speed. That is indeed an average guy's weight "sitting" on the wing, and it's dynamic.

Aerodynamic pieces that actually function are truly structural. I would NOT trust a repaired CF wing. No way.
Those are impressive numbers and it doesn’t surprise me at all. Although that weight is spread out across the entire surface and not in a single spot where you’d do the repair.

Often times repaired areas end up being stronger. I worked in a body shop that specialized in repairing corvettes for years. You’d be surprised how well properly bonded resins hold. I’ve seen previous repairs hold and the area around it break in a second collision. Just saying that if you wanted to repair it, someone qualified could do it and you could keep the original wing and put your money elsewhere. Just an opinion.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MrCincinnati

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
You posted questions to a public forum lol -you even put a “?” at the end of it; that entails getting opinions. You’re welcome
Perhaps you should've revisited how questions work prior to blessing me with the magnificent opinion that I should gamble my safety on your word that someone else's repair to my vehicle will be sufficient -- when I didn't ask that in the first place.

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Perhaps you should've revisited how questions work prior to blessing me with the magnificent opinion that I should gamble my safety on your word that someone else's repair to my vehicle will be sufficient -- when I didn't ask that in the first place.
“Perhaps you should revisit”. -I fixed that for you. I will in fact. Not sure why the hostility but good luck with the next mailbox.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Disregard the GT badge and focus on the wing and the fact that one of the best drivers around isn't getting much deflection from it. The weave, the resin, and the design make it extremely lightweight but also remarkably strong.

pro-racer-billy-johnson-helped-perfect-the-2018-mustang-ppl2-0012.jpg

It'd take quite a bit of repair that would extend far beyond the crack to get it close to that of a new wing.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

Disregard the GT badge and focus on the wing and the fact that one of the best drivers around isn't getting much deflection from it. The weave, the resin, and the design make it extremely lightweight but also remarkably strong.

pro-racer-billy-johnson-helped-perfect-the-2018-mustang-ppl2-0012.jpg

It'd take quite a bit of repair that would extend far beyond the crack to get it close to that of a new wing.
I love both of your contributions in threads on this forum. World needs more data points and less opinions (which is of course, my opinion :))

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
OP
OP
MrCincinnati