Sponsored

OEM GT350R Spoiler or multiple CF pieces?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
After an unfortunate incident with a critter on the road resulted in a modestly damaged front end, the owner in question was shocked to learn about the high cost of his vehicle's replacement parts. And as is increasingly the way these days, he aired his displeasure on the web. That initial report has since touched off a firestorm in the online Shelby community, with the issue spreading to numerous forums and chat rooms.
https://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/11/shelby-lowering-price-of-20k-gt500kr-hood-after-web-outrage-eru/
Sponsored

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Yup, that was the story, thanks!

OP
OP
MrCincinnati

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Stopped by the dealership earlier... the guy in the body shop isn't 100% sure he can get it back to 100% structural integrity and isn't willing to be responsible for it failing at speed. He's going to recommend for replacement given the safety risks. God bless that man.

Now, the waiting game.

Mach4.6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R, 11' GT500, 07' GT500, 04' Mach 1

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
2C7EC233-E27D-45D6-A62E-5940EA6C5CF7.jpeg
8A30A8A7-DB95-4C31-B7E6-562D50E9F492.jpeg
F9ACF06B-4BB2-4563-B827-9CED15E66F88.jpeg

Thanks for the feedback. Awaiting inspection from insurance company. They want to meet at Ford dealer to ensure it can’t be repaired... I’m no CF expert but I highly doubt it. If not then I’ll likely grab the full set.

Did you do the install yourself?
Yes, I installed the full kit myself. Took about 16 hours round trip, but that was my first time disaseembling one of these cars, and I managed to do it without breaking anything.

In regard to the wing I can say that Carbon Composites by MAD is the only manufacturer that had access to the OEM CAD data from Ford to use in designing their molds. They worked in partnership with Ford to develop a full carbon exterior kit for a charity vehicle, and that was how they were able to ensure the parts were made to the OEM standard. Outside of the owner Chris being real meticulous, the OEM design and strength are what moved me that way. Happy I did.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MrCincinnati

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
OP
OP
MrCincinnati

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Yes, I installed the full kit myself. Took about 16 hours round trip, but that was my first time disaseembling one of these cars, and I managed to do it without breaking anything.

In regard to the wing I can say that Carbon Composites by MAD is the only manufacturer that had access to the OEM CAD data from Ford to use in designing their molds. They worked in partnership with Ford to develop a full carbon exterior kit for a charity vehicle, and that was how they were able to ensure the parts were made to the OEM standard. Outside of the owner Chris being real meticulous, the OEM design and strength are what moved me that way. Happy I did.
Great information, thanks. If the OEM spoiler is not the route then I’m pretty much sold on the MAD one given the above. Last thing I want to do is change the aerodynamic balance of this car.

We’ll see what happens and if I am able to go with the MAD kit or just some pieces I’ll let you know.

Bolzen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Curious if you've tried some other body shops. There is a higher end shop in Blue Ash that I've taken a few cars to. Had a similar situation with a way over-priced part for another car. They made the situation pretty painless, I've known the owner for awhile.

OP
OP
MrCincinnati

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Curious if you've tried some other body shops. There is a higher end shop in Blue Ash that I've taken a few cars to. Had a similar situation with a way over-priced part for another car. They made the situation pretty painless, I've known the owner for awhile.
I haven't. When I saw the damage I immediately came to the conclusion that there was no way to guarantee structural integrity short of having the thing imaged prior to repair. The manager at the body shop took it a step further and suggested the liability involved with repairing that kind of damage (specifically how this has been damaged) combined with the stresses at high speed is not worth the risk.

The insurance company concluded the same.

Sponsored

Bolzen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
I haven't. When I saw the damage I immediately came to the conclusion that there was no way to guarantee structural integrity short of having the thing imaged prior to repair. The manager at the body shop took it a step further and suggested the liability involved with repairing that kind of damage (specifically how this has been damaged) combined with the stresses at high speed is not worth the risk.

I meant from a replacement of OEM part perspective. =)

OP
OP
MrCincinnati

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I meant from a replacement of OEM part perspective. =)
Ah - my bad.

Yeah I checked with White Bear Lake in Minnesota and the insurance company checked with their dealer network. There are 2 OEM GT350R spoilers available from Ford nationwide. Both are at the Detroit depot, whatever that means.

However - if your guy has an inside lane and can get a discount off the MSRP - I'd love to have that conversation.

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500

If it’s repaired with epoxy and fiber glass similiar to how corvettes are repaired, it would be fine. You wouldn’t be sitting on it lol

OP
OP
MrCincinnati

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
If it’s repaired with epoxy and fiber glass similiar to how corvettes are repaired, it would be fine. You wouldn’t be sitting on it lol
Corvettes are fiberglass, not carbon fiber.
And no, I wouldn’t be sitting on it - the amount of force/pressure created by drag at triple digit speeds is the concern with regard to structural integrity.

Would you bet your life on it?

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Corvettes are fiberglass, not carbon fiber.
And no, I wouldn’t be sitting on it - the amount of force/pressure created by drag at triple digit speeds is the concern with regard to structural integrity.

Would you bet your life on it?
I know corvettes are fiber glass which is why used the word “similiar”, you know, because they’re both epoxy woven synthetics. Anywho, like I said the down force wouldn’t hurt it and if it did your life certainly would be in any danger. It would just crack again. You’re over complicating the situation.
Sponsored