Sponsored

Indy / Carmel, IN Shops / Tuning / Racing

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
The wife's job might be taking us to Carmel, Indiana soon and I'm reaching out to any of the Indy area crowd here with some questions -

1 - How available is E85 in the area?
2 - Is it mostly E70 or E85 if you have tested it?
3 - Are there solid speed shops up there you'd trust to do work / major work / and tuning on your Mustang?
4 - What's the racing scene like up that way?

Coming from TX where all of the above are big green checkboxes... I'm totally out of my element about Indiana. Post up!

:cheers:
Sponsored

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
theres e-85 everywhere your coming to corn country..theres speedshops around but your gonna drive a bit, street racing on the southside,,,bout 45 min from carmel and several dragstrips inside an hour drive or around an hour carmel itself is the high dollar area of indy metro and the lawmen are how shall we say..intense..i wouldn't go more than5 mph over the limit in carmel…..they can afford alot of police up there and they are EVERYWHERE.....

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
The wife's job might be taking us to Carmel, Indiana soon and I'm reaching out to any of the Indy area crowd here with some questions -

1 - How available is E85 in the area?
2 - Is it mostly E70 or E85 if you have tested it?
3 - Are there solid speed shops up there you'd trust to do work / major work / and tuning on your Mustang?
4 - What's the racing scene like up that way?

Coming from TX where all of the above are big green checkboxes... I'm totally out of my element about Indiana. Post up!

:cheers:
E85 at most stations as mentioned. Fathouse Fabrication on far Southside off HWY-37, Brenspeed is a few hours drive up north.

draph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6MT PP1
I assume you know Carmel is suburb of Indianapolis which is very near a small town called Speedway, IN where a slightly famous racetrack has a 500 mile race every Memorial Day weekend. There's Lucas Oil Raceway near another suburb called Clermont where they have NHRA events as well as a road course. There's also the Indianapolis Speedrome where they do the wild figure 8 races among many other events. ...and numerous SCCA clubs for amateur solo stuff. Bottom line - racing scene is pretty decent in central Indiana.

Sponsored

OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
Gotcha thanks for all the input - we're waiting to meet a realtor to show us the area because I’ve never really been up that way. I wasn’t sure if cats and inspection were a problem or how the corn fuel situation was. I’m tuned for E85 but wasn’t sure if 70 was the norm there. My cars more of a cruiser and straight line car currently, not much into road racing (used to love closed circuit Racing on my bikes when I was younger.). I’m familiar with the Indy 500 stuff but I wasn’t sure what the grassroots and Friday night scene looked like.

Was debating on selling the car or not but I’m thinking maybe it would be worth bringing up there with me.

OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
Any idea of how hard inspections are and whether I can get through with cats or without ?

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
Any idea of how hard inspections are and whether I can get through with cats or without ?
No cats no problems round these parts LOL.
No inspections. You can get showcar exemptions with a little effort for race cars and custom builds. One of few states who titles a salvage as well.

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
Enjoy Wednesday night test and tune at Orielly (Indianapolis Raceway Park)

draph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6MT PP1
Enjoy Wednesday night test and tune at Orielly (Indianapolis Raceway Park)

Don't forget Lucas Oil bought out Oreilly's sponsorship....To anyone who's lived in Indiana longer than a few years, it will always be IRP regardless of whose name is on it...and it's technically not Indianapolis...more Clermont until the neighboring town of Brownsburg annexed it for the local tax grab as they need more money to reach their vision of becoming "Carmel West".

Sponsored
OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
No cats no problems round these parts LOL.
No inspections. You can get showcar exemptions with a little effort for race cars and custom builds. One of few states who titles a salvage as well.
That's great news to hear!

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Check out Don Hinds Ford in Fishers -just next to Carmel .
They have a "perfomance " section and do all the work on my cars .They charge a reduced rate for perfomance work .
Brad the master technician is well known NMRA drag racer and he has great tips .
He is straight shooter and knows his stuff .

OP
OP
gqneon

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
I went by Don Hinds in Fishers a couple days ago and test drove a 2019 6M and an A10 to see how the new trans (auto) and new gearing (manual) felt. I really love a stick car. It's clear the A10 is the superior transmission to the manual, at least in the GT's - but for enjoying the actual drive I think the 6M is a no brainer. The salesman that rode with me was raving about their shop doing tons of performance work. I'm used to turning all my own wrenches but obviously some things are much easier with a lift (headers comes to mind) so if you guys vouch for them - then I'd consider the place.

I think I might pick up a car to work on over the winter and hoon around in a little come spring thaw. Now that we're getting settled (we landed in Westfield) and I'm getting my garage set up how I want, it's probably time to pick up a new toy!

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I can .
They have done all my work for the last 10 years as I can’t turn a wrench .if you search my posts you will all what they have done .
If you go to the back I usually have 2 cars there since I mostly drive them to the track and back from there and they swap tires for me . Lol
Brad Phoenix is the head guy and is an experienced NMRA racer himself .
I would highly recommend them
Sponsored