Sponsored

2020 Shelby GT500 Mustang leaked specs: 720HP @ 7500 RPM, 650 ft-lbs @ 4500 RPM, 4225lbs curb weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
BmacIL I'm still curious as to what it has over the ZL1 that will give it an edge when a) the Alpha platform is inherently a little more advanced, and b) the power to weight ratio is the same.

Ford GT gained weight courtesy of trick hydraulic suspension. If they've applied the same wizardry to this and added a little weight to outperform Alpha then all is forgiven.
Sponsored

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
How are the tires 10 lbs more than the GT350R Cup 2s at or nearly identical width (315), albeit 20" (so will be lighter actually)? Wheels will certainly be, but they're fully forged to minimize that.

Yes I've seen the brakes and had them described to me by others who've held parts of them. Not more than 15 lb delta growing the friction surface from 15.5 to 16" and a slightly larger caliper on each side. They are indeed huge. Diff cooler will very likely be unchanged from GT350R. Trans cooler I am educated guessing but I cannot see more than 10% more cooler volume. Aftermarket oil coolers don't add more than 10 lbs. No way all that is adding more than 25 lbs.

Intercooler and supercharger are ~90 lbs, depending on the size (source: assist in Whipple 2.9L install). Added cooling lines, reservoir and fluid brought it to around that weight add. Either way we're talking somewhere between 120-140 lbs, not 200 lbs.
Tires don't work like that. Going larger in overall diameter adds weight. Unless you think It's going to be a 3XX/25-20. The front fenders look to be wider, so the tires have to be wider as well. Wider = heavier. Larger diameter = heavier. Larger wheels = heavier.

The inner hub of the brakes look similar to the GT350 and the face of the rotor looks bigger. So increasing the outer diameter means a big increase in weight (vs keeping the pad width the same and increasing the diameter of the hub). I might agree with 20-25lbs for the rotors and then add caliper weight increase.

I've seen Whipple's being installed too, but I didn't weight them and I'm sure you didn't either. Its probably more than 120-140lbs with supercharger coolant and oil on top of the front cooler and supercharger itself.

Conservatively: 20lbs for wheels/tires, 20lbs brakes, 140lbs supercharger, 100lbs trans =280lbs before considering larger oil cooler, diff cooler, trans cooler, axles, etc... Give or take 10lbs here or there and it's easy to see that 300lbs is not impossible.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Tires don't work like that. Going larger in overall diameter adds weight. Unless you think It's going to be a 3XX/25-20. The front fenders look to be wider, so the tires have to be wider as well. Wider = heavier. Larger diameter = heavier. Larger wheels = heavier.

The inner hub of the brakes look similar to the GT350 and the face of the rotor looks bigger. So increasing the outer diameter means a big increase in weight (vs keeping the pad width the same and increasing the diameter of the hub). I might agree with 20-25lbs for the rotors and then add caliper weight increase.

I've seen Whipple's being installed too, but I didn't weight them and I'm sure you didn't either. Its probably more than 120-140lbs with supercharger coolant and oil on top of the front cooler and supercharger itself.

Conservatively: 20lbs for wheels/tires, 20lbs brakes, 140lbs supercharger, 100lbs trans =280lbs before considering larger oil cooler, diff cooler, trans cooler, axles, etc... Give or take 10lbs here or there and it's easy to see that 300lbs is not impossible.
A Whipple 2.9 has been documented at 60lbs. No way a full SC adds 140 lbs. a few quarts of oil only weighs a few pounds and you're removing the weight of OEM parts to replace with SC parts. Going from 19 to 20 inch wheels doesn't add that much either. I went from stock 19" PP wheels to 20" forged wheels and only gained 3 lbs per wheel to include the 315 tires I mounted.

Keep in mind, you have to account for what is removed from the car to be replaced by new parts. The net gain of these pieces is probably less than what is assumed.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Yes. I meant maintaining approx same tire diameter on a 20" wheel. Tire will be somewhat lighter. 315 wide.

Rotors will be ~7% heavier just on an area basis, although they're not drilled, so let's call it 8-9%. That's not 20+ lbs, more like 3 lb per rotor (GT350 are 30 lbs each, hat section is aluminum but if you say 25 lbs of that is iron, then you're at ~32 lbs). Rears look to be the same as the GT350. Front caliper mass increase unknown, but a couple lbs each is logical.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)

You are not understanding what "more than", means. Forgetting that the GT350 already has large brakes, so how much MORE could the GT500's weight..? You keep guestimating irrational weights.

Also, why does a transmission weight 100 lbs more..? (Or a supercharger weighing 140lbs more, than the 350's intake & TB..?

GT500 could weigh 200lbs more than a GT350... depending on how much carbon fiber they use.

Sponsored

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
You are not understanding what "more than", means. Forgetting that the GT350 already has large brakes, so how much MORE could the GT500's weight..? You keep guestimating irrational weights.

Also, why does a transmission weight 100 lbs more..? (Or a supercharger weighing 140lbs more, than the 350's intake & TB..?

GT500 could weigh 200lbs more than a GT350... depending on how much carbon fiber they use.
Transmission. The 10 speed is close enough to 100lbs more than the GT350 transmission to be safe with that number.
Superchargers are heavy as hell. An intake manifold is plastic and weighs probably less than 20lbs if you figure the whole assembly.
Fluids to cool the supercharger are heavy
Intercooler adds weight
Probably larger radiator..More fluids.
Larger transmission cooler and diff cooler are probable. More weight.

I can come up with about 200 more lbs just with that stuff, over the GT350, easily.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Transmission. The 10 speed is close enough to 100lbs more than the GT350 transmission to be safe with that number.
Superchargers are heavy as hell. An intake manifold is plastic and weighs probably less than 20lbs if you figure the whole assembly.
Intercooler adds weight

I can come up with about 200 more lbs just with that stuff, over the GT350, easily.

Please read through the thread... already discussed.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Intercooler adds weight

^^ Nailed it.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Unclear. Are you saying you want the GT500 to have super stiff suspension like the ZL1 1LE does?

I didn't say I wanted the GT500 to be slower than the ZL1 1LE. However, I'm hopeful that Ford can make the car fast without it being terrible to drive. GM has a history of the bigger hammer engineering - first with the Z/28 and now with the ZL1 1LE building cars that by reputation are extremely difficult to live with on the street. I can't imagine you want Ford to match that practice.
It's a god damn track car, it's supposed to be stiff and damn near undriveable on the street. if you're buying a ZL1 1LE, then you shouldn't be bitching about it being "too harsh", you should've bought a standard Zl1 instead

Ford GT gained weight courtesy of trick hydraulic suspension. If they've applied the same wizardry to this and added a little weight to outperform Alpha then all is forgiven.
x2 on this. Ford added weight to the GT in form of trick suspension and active aero and found that it provided much better handling. If Ford goes this route (also, keep in mind, the GT has DSSV dampers just like the 1LE and is notoriously harsh driving), I will be satisfied

Sponsored

ngiotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT / 1970 Mach 1 (Twin Turbo Coyote)
Ehh... no, Ford is not even taking the challenger serious (this as something good and something bad at the same time). PP0001 comment made me thing, maybe it’s something similar to what he says.

What if Ford wants something (GT500) “almost as capable” as the ZL1 at Track, significantly faster on straight line with good street manners and easier to live with? I mean... that would be gold for the masses. Yeah, I know that MAYBE it wouldn’t be at the same level than a ZL1 1LE (buts that GT500R job) and of course it wouldn’t be as fast as a Demon but more close to the RedEye straight line performance (beating the regular hellcat) but hey, the GT500 will be able to turn!

The current Mustang GT is not the fastest on straights nor the fastest around track, however reviewers keep insisting that the Mustang GT without being “the best in every scenario” is still the best option to buy. Why? Very good capabilities with no compromise (on it being a daily driver).

Maybe the reason of it being fat it’s becsuse it will be the best “all around” high performance “daily driver”. At the end of the day most people will get a car that’s easy to live with.
I think you missed the point. I'm saying sales-wise, the Challenger is the biggest threat to the Mustang. How the Camaro does performance-wise is irrelevant. It's not selling, regardless of body refreshes. The Challenger platform hasn't changed significantly in about a decade, but it sells. You can bet that Ford is paying attention to what's selling and why it's selling.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Great, this guy's back...

Okay, then explain the GT3 RS.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/porsche/911/2019/2019-porsche-911-gt3-rs-first-drive-review/

"Would the GT3 RS be a good daily driver? I'd say no, unless you do track days on the regular. Even with its softer, preloading helper springs, the front and rear spring rates (100 N/mm and 160 N/mm) are only livable/useful on a smooth race track"

But lmao @ trying to fault a $60k car for not living up to the standards of a $200k car. Try harder next time

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Oh my god...so now that a magazine says so Mr. I have tried everything and I know better than everyone else, it's now true? Wow. EVERYONE, our lord and savior Jake zx2 has spoken! You are wrong and he is right! Except how my GT350 is unlivable on the streets because I still haven't had to visit a chiropractor but he is right and you are WRONG! ALL HAIL JAKE ZX2! THERE IS ONLY ONE WORD AND THE WORD OF THE LORD JAKE ZX2!

Get real...if someone wants to live with a harsher car just because you're a bitch made pussy just leave it at that. But don't go around telling others how wrong they are because you think otherwise based off of subjective experience or tolerances. Now stop being a bag of cocks and let people have an opinion. Douche bag.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I love it when other people snap on here.:crackup:Makes me feel normal for a change.:like:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.