Sponsored

2018-2019 Auto (A10) for HPDE?

Rodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Currently have a '17 GT PP M6, which is my wife's daily driver. We are looking forward to tracking it in the Fall (we both do HPDE), but haven't had it out yet due to previous commitments and the Summer heat here in AZ.

The GT was a total impulse buy for us, mostly spurred by the color, but also because I was very impressed with the PP in overall driving, and we got a great deal (it was on a Dodge lot used with 4500 miles). Had I spent the time to do more research, I may have held out for an '18 or '19 with the new A10 automatic. I'm considering upgrading, but am looking for input on how the A10 works on the track.

What I'm interested to hear is anyone's experience tracking the '18 (or '19) with the A10, especially if you are running R comps.

How well does it work on track?
Are you seeing any issues?
If you have 1st hand experience, comparison to the M6?

My wife is still a novice when it comes to track, but she's getting better. I think that not having to deal with the clutch/shifting will really improve her smoothness. I know the A10 is not a PDK, but it should still be smoother and faster than the average driver with a manual.
Also, the gearing in the M6 is very short, and I think an auto would be a lot less work on the street, plus, it's faster.

I've always preferred manual, and my wife insists on one (so far), but these new autos are getting really good...

EDIT: I know the auto will need some modifications to the cooling for track longevity, which is to be expected. I'm really looking for input on it's functionality on track.
Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
900 miles and 2 track sessions in 100F.
205-212F Trans.
Diff and CHT were limiting factors.
Will be modding diff cooling and changing to larger opening TSTAT.
Very impressed so far.
As I learn the trans, I get more impressed.
I suspect the GT500 will be using a variant of this trans like the ZR1/ZL1.
Haven’t had another chance to track it due to work and other track car taking sat afternoon free time.

OP
OP
Rodan

Rodan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Thanks.

We're in no hurry to upgrade, so hopefully we'll have a good idea how the A10 holds up by the time we're ready to jump.
Sponsored