Sponsored

Starting 18 gt in track mode (active exhaust)?

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
The car actually did revert back to normal mode but only after driving away. On startup it was definitely louder. Also, in track mode you can feel the exhaust vibrations more from inside and this is what I felt when I started in track mode. I'm going to try it again next cold start.
Before I shifted to drive, immediately after starting the engine, I checked and it was back in the normal exhaust mode. The cold start in normal mode tends to have a nice snarl to begin with, but I usually have the car set to track exhaust prior to shutting it off, so I wonder if mine already starts in track then immediately closes to normal...?
Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I love remote starting mine with 18 standard exhaust. Has a nice rumble. ;).

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
The time is 20 seconds. It’ll also allow you to restart the engine without the key fob in this timeframe - it’s mentioned in the owner’s manual.
Mine will stay for quite a bit longer than 20 seconds. For example, it will always retain the setting when I fill gas.

MetalCord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thanks for the replies guys, car is a 401a car however as said before it does not seem to matter, default mode is normal. Looking at another thread it seems active exhaust modes are also tied to driving modes, one owner had wires shorted out and melted from his aftermarket x pipe and with active exhaust disabled it actually disabled track, drag and sport modes as well for driving settings. Makes sense that ford does not want anyone starting in track mode or drag mode right off the bat.

One other thing though i tried setting a "my mode" and next time i got in the car and pressed the pony button then my mode it did not right away enter track mode for the exhaust, i am still manually entering it, unless i am doing this wrong?
Yes, I believe you are doing it wrong! Once you create a "My Mode" with track exhaust, you don't hit the Pony button to enter that mode. You use your toggles to change the drive mode to "My Mode". It will be between Normal and Sport +.

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hey Guys, When I start my 18 in quiet mode first thing in the morning it is loud for about the first 20seconds, then gets quiet. Is this normal? Almost defeats the purpose since I have to start it with the garage door closed until it actually goes into quiet mode. Thanks

Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Even in Quiet mode it's still quite loud. I'm not sure why so many people and looking to make a bomb blast every morning.

Sometimes the car will randomly default to a normal start up which can be quite loud. I have an H pipe and a normal cold start sounds like a lion's roar. It send the wildlife scattering. But in quiet it's still tame.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Hey Guys, When I start my 18 in quiet mode first thing in the morning it is loud for about the first 20seconds, then gets quiet. Is this normal? Almost defeats the purpose since I have to start it with the garage door closed until it actually goes into quiet mode. Thanks
@crcpdx

The cold start on our 2018 GT's is loud even in quiet mode. I think you are really hearing the loudness especially since its in your garage and the sounds gets amplified. I live in an apartment complex, and in quiet mode the sound is not so loud as to bother any of my neighbors (I asked them if its a bother and they didnt have any complaints). You are right though, the idle quiets down rather quickly so at least we have that going for us.

Bob99b5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2007 Mustang GT convertible
Unless I set a "quite mode" time, mine always starts in normal. It may stay in a louder mode during a quick restart cycle but I haven't checked that. I wish there were a way to set the default exhaust and mode. I'd like it to default to "sport plus" and "track" exhaust but I haven't found a way to do that.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I wouldn't start with the garage door closed, even for a minute. Yea, I know you are going to open it in just a few seconds, but one day you're going to get distracted by the cat or a text or something and you will have a garage full of carbon monoxide.

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium. 2019 GT PP1 ordered
The only way you can do that is if you have the 401a with digital dash. Then you can set your defaults with “my mode”. Really sucks you can’t do that with the 400a standard dash. But that’s something my sales guy didn’t tell me about.
My sales guy, who knew far less about the product he sells than I do, didn’t tell me this either. It a pain to have to reset everything every time you start the car. I wonder if it’s possible to do a software update to provide this functionality to 400A owners?

Sponsored

mtooler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
FN GT Auto Mustang and Kia Carnival
My sales guy, who knew far less about the product he sells than I do, didn’t tell me this either. It a pain to have to reset everything every time you start the car. I wonder if it’s possible to do a software update to provide this functionality to 400A owners?
This thread and answered my 2 day old ownership gripe for me. I'll check that in quiet mode it's not listed as the default. Toggling up will be a pain to get track exhaust. Going normal set up and normal steering and track exhaust as my mode settings.

showbbq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This is normal, the engine will warm up and the rpms will drop slightly. What a lot of folks might not know, with active exhaust the "quiet start" mode will still start the car with the exhaust valves fully open (aka track mode) before closing the valves a split second later. So you still get to share the initial exhaust note with the neighbors before it gets muffled by the valves.

You can check it out by looking at the valves when you do a remote start. Some aftermarket systems can start with the valves fully closed.

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This thread and answered my 2 day old ownership gripe for me. I'll check that in quiet mode it's not listed as the default. Toggling up will be a pain to get track exhaust. Going normal set up and normal steering and track exhaust as my mode settings.
I had the same gripe. Unless its first thing in the morning, I found myself constantly changing to sport or track mode every time I started the car. I bought an x pipe and now I don't find myself changing modes to try and make it louder. Normal has a nice growl to it, but gets raspy at high RPMs. If you like more of the deep muscle car sound, you could try a H pipe.

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I start mine then immediately toggle up twice to get MyMode (which has Track exhaust as one of my settings). That initial start is heavenly-sounding.
Sponsored