Sponsored

How does the LT1 handle power compared to the 2018 Coyote?

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
It looks like the Camaro SS motor still has powdered metal rods, and members of the community seem sketchy about pushing the motor past 600whp. Is this the case? It seems the new mustang has a more stout motor for now but the Camaro has the better transmission.
Sponsored

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
When it comes to boost, I'm assuming you're talking about boost because "passed 600hp". The Coyote motors are superb. The proof is in youtube of all these coyote cars laying the smack down. Cant wait for more and more A10 Coyotes to eat.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I can’t comment on the 18s. But the second gen coyote is a monster. There is a ton of 750 wheel hp cars out there. Couple that with the bullet proof 6r80. And you have a factory car that seams like it was built for boost. I’m bolting a 900hp Paxton kit on my car. I’m doing a sprocket and oil pump upgrade. Just for piece of mind. But there is plenty of guys out there that skip that. And are still running in the 9s. Haven’t seen a ton of boosted SS’s at the track. Probably a reason for that.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I think hellion made like 1200+ rwhp on a gen 3 coyote.

I know lund has a car running mid 8s at 160+ with an unopened engine/tranny.

Very stout.

revinto7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 shelby-gt 14 camaro SS 1LE
It looks like the Camaro SS motor still has powdered metal rods, and members of the community seem sketchy about pushing the motor past 600whp. Is this the case? It seems the new mustang has a more stout motor for now but the Camaro has the better transmission.
Sold my 16 2SS A8 Camaro a month ago because of this exact topic the car had 1362 miles on it and was really a nice car and solid performer but it had a cap of 600 hp reliable and the direct injection only fuel system was a limitation bigger than the rotating assembly itself.. Low side and high side pumps were needed and than a Cam swap because the lobe on the Cam that drives the fuel pump needed to be bigger to drive it which becomes a big circle jerk and huge cost . Nothing was simple gone were the days of easy power of the ls platform. So I switched to an 18 A10 mustang gt PP .I knew this car in stock trim was right there or better especially with the 10 speed. The motor does not fall flat at 6k and this car is super responsive and to mods and mod friendly not to mention way better aftermarket availability and power handling capacity.. if you wanted 500-550 hp on a Camaro a Cam LT E85 tune it's like 6k easy then if you want a blower you still really need to do an lt4 fuel system and that gets you to 600 on pump gas ,if you want more than you need the Cam swap with a blower because the Cam lobe is needed just to drive the fuel pump so the blower can be pushed and or same goes for E85 you need 20% more fuel . It gets crazy expensive then when all said and done your into a stock engine for 10k + and your on borrowed time with that short block -I think you guys get the point.. I love all cars but you need to know your goals and purchase a platform to suit you possible intentions...

Last edited:

Sponsored

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Sold my 16 2SS A8 Camaro a month ago because of this exact topic the car had 1362 miles on it and was really a nice car and solid performer but it had a cap of 600 hp reliable and the direct injection only fuel system was a limitation bigger than the rotating assembly itself.. Low side and high side pumps were needed and than a Cam swap because the lobe on the Cam that drives the fuel pump needed to be bigger to drive it which becomes a big circle jerk and huge cost . Nothing was simple gone were the days of easy power of the ls platform. So I switched to an 18 A10 mustang gt PP .I knew this car in stock trim was right there or better especially with the 10 speed. The motor does not fall flat at 6k and this car is super responsive and to mods and mod friendly not to mention way better aftermarket availability and power handling capacity.. if you wanted 500-550 hp on a Camaro a Cam LT E85 tune it's like 6k easy then if you want a blower you still really need to do an lt4 fuel system and that gets you to 600 on pump gas ,if you want more than you need the Cam swap with a blower because the Cam lobe is needed just to drive the fuel pump so the blower can be pushed and or same goes for E85 you need 20% more fuel . It gets crazy expensive then when all said and done your into a stock engine for 10k + and your on borrowed time with that short block -I think you guys get the point.. I love all cars but you need to know your goals and purchase a platform to suit you possible intentions...
2nd gen 5.0 was designed to handle FI loads from the get go, about 9 to 10 PSI if I recall. The first gen not so much. Ford Performance has a brochure detailing the differences between gen 1 and 2. 3rd gen goes even further. I do not believe Chevy ever intended the 5th gen LT1 to go from NA to FI in it's NA variants and didn't plan accordingly. They put an immense amount of R&D to get it to where it is already and I do not believe there's much room to grow without some significant changes. For FI you have the ZL1's which have FI specific rotating assembly. Interestingly the ZL1 makes 650 HP crank with FI optimized compression ratio while a bolt on super charger to a port injected 11:1 5.0 makes 670 HP. They are neck and neck, but Ford managed to do it on an 11:1 compression NA engine by setting it up for both from the factory. Then there's also Power Packs 2 and 3 for those that want to stay NA, each offering their own niceties.

FP sells their aluminator varaints, they have a 9.6:1 variant of the standard 5.0 aluminator specifically for FI and also a 11:1 NA variant. Forged rods, pistons, billet oil pump etc.

OP
OP
SlaughterOfTheSoul

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
Thank you! I knew precisely none of this.

Dark knight s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 pp1 GT
I always wondered why i've seen at least 5 times the amount of boosted 5.0s vs boosted SS Camaros and I guess I now know why.

SDG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS
I think it's safe to say that the Coyote responds better to boost than the LT1 does and it can reach certain levels of horsepower for less money.

You can make big power out of an LT1, but it takes more money generally. The stock LT1 fuel system is good for about 600rwhp, much past that and you need to upgrade the fuel system, and the stock ZL1 fuel pump doesn't take you much further. If you're spending the money to do that then you might as well put in a new cam, heads, forged pistons, etc. Magnuson has their 2650 prototype on a 6th Gen SS and it's fast, low 9's and still working out bugs, but it's not just the supercharger, a host of other things needs replacing as well. I'm looking into a Maggie 2300 for my SS but parts and install/tune would cost me around $10K, but a few over on Camaro6 are making over 800-850rwhp with the 2300 setup and higher boost levels.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
I think it's safe to say that the Coyote responds better to boost than the LT1 does and it can reach certain levels of horsepower for less money.

You can make big power out of an LT1, but it takes more money generally. The stock LT1 fuel system is good for about 600rwhp, much past that and you need to upgrade the fuel system, and the stock ZL1 fuel pump doesn't take you much further. If you're spending the money to do that then you might as well put in a new cam, heads, forged pistons, etc. Magnuson has their 2650 prototype on a 6th Gen SS and it's fast, low 9's and still working out bugs, but it's not just the supercharger, a host of other things needs replacing as well. I'm looking into a Maggie 2300 for my SS but parts and install/tune would cost me around $10K, but a few over on Camaro6 are making over 800-850rwhp with the 2300 setup and higher boost levels.
So your saying with enough money. you can make anything fast?:)

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Camaro6g shows they pop around 650 hp. Upgrading fuel system gets real expensive fast. Not even in the same league as Gen3 coyote power potential wise. Never seen a stock LT1 make 1200 whp. Lol.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
PART IT OUT!

Furiosa GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I too got a 2019 GT 10 speed because of how well it responds to boost only. Reason I didn't even consider the 10 speed SS is because of the reasons already discussed. It would get very expensive to make 900+RWHP on a LT1. With the gen 3 Coyote you just need a good bolt on FI kit, oil pump/crank gears, E85 fuel system and maybe LT headers. I love that Ford did this dual injection so we dont have to deal with what the Chevy guys do with trying to use E85 and that is just one aspect.

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
what usually "pops" on the LT1s?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn’t say anything will pop. They will just need things like Pistons, valve springs. And fueling upgrades sooner than we do. My friends at the track tell me they are good to about 600whp. We’re as we are good to 700-750whp. Before we have to start adding things like fuel upgrades, oil pump gears and timing sprocket. I added those items at 660 just because I knew it wouldn’t be the last mods I do. Once you get into the realm of nutty power. 900+Whp! Everybody in the game better have deep pockets. Cause stuffs gonna break.
Sponsored

Last edited: