Sponsored

idle problems

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Hey people! I am a happy (sometimes) owner of a '16 mustang eco...
I bought it CPO with only 10k in it...
The car was perfect until about 27k mi (I put miles quite fast since I commute to work quite a bit), anyway, first thing I noticed was a slight rpm drop WHILE driving, usually city driving. Say I am going 45 mph at a constant speed and suddenly there is this little surge and the rpms drop and get back up. The rpm drop while driving can happen 3x within 30 -45 min of wach other OR not happen at all in a given day. I took it in to my dealer to get it checked. Told me nothing is wrong. Fine.

Fast forward a couple of miles, about 32k, mind you with the random rpm drops still happening, but it got worse at around 32k. I fueled up one night and I pulled out of the gas station and was at the light waiting to change. Well, in that time the car's rpm dropped so low that it felt like the car was going to stall. Fortunately THAT night it did not, however, the following day it did. ( will post clip). I was a Wendy's drive through and noticed my air/fuel ratio acting funny and eventually car did stall that night.

Following day I took it to my same local dealer with that concern. The sales advisor opened the hood and he witnessed the car shuddering and wanting to stall but it didnt, he wrote it down on the report, however.

I left the car with them thinking it might take them the whole day to diagnose. Nope. 2 hours later the guy calls me back to tell me that I have an after market DROP IN air filter and that airbox was not clipped properly and thus the root of the problem. Even on the phone I told him that did not make sense because, first of all, they were the last ones to check on my air filter for maintenance purposes when I take it in...long story short, he tells me they will clean the throttle body intake and that it should fix the problem. Ok, great.

I get the car back. Everything is perfect. The issue went away but only for about 5k miles.

Now I am back to square one in which the car is dropping rpms while driving (only notice it while city driving - meaning 45-55 mph). I drive highway and never does it going higher speeds. And the same problem after fueling up, It acts funny like it wants to stall (if I am not mistaken while you're at a stop on D, the air/fuel ratio should be steady at 13.8-14.2, mine drops ALL the way down to 11's shoots back up to 15's) when I am at a stop but then once I start driving it goes away eventually....

I just once more dropped it off at the dealer I bought it from and the one I bought my extended warranty from as well for them to diagnose it. I get a feeling they will call me and tell me they cannot find the problem. Unfortunately, for some reason, the car does not throw a CEL.

I have been reading about people changing their low side pressure sensors, and/or the purge valve.

Does anyone here heard/experience this problem in which clearly there is an issue (evap/emission/air&fuel) one but NO CEL? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Will post clips soon.
Sponsored

OP
OP

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
For some reason I cannot post the clips...

Like I mentioned though, I see that my air/fuel ratio acts all hyper after fueling up. And when the rpms drop and feels like it will stall (and one time it actually did stall) the ratio went all the way down to 11...I don't think that Is normal AT ALL....and highly concerned for my engine in the long run...

I am stock.
Only a MBRP catback race
'16 auto.
I have only used 93 octane since I bought the car.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
It could be several problems. If they diagnose it as a open air box, it likely means they didn't even bother to check ignition issues, air obstructions, vacuum leaks, or ECU data. Common sense: take it to another garage.

OP
OP

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
It could be several problems. If they diagnose it as a open air box, it likely means they didn't even bother to check ignition issues, air obstructions, vacuum leaks, or ECU data. Common sense: take it to another garage.
Yes, I no longer take it to my local Ford dealer since they told me that story...I felt lied to. Now my car is at the dealer I bought it from, a Mullinax Ford, they have a different department for diagnosing and not just those "quick lanes". My concern is that since the car is not throwing a CEL that they will tell me the same thing. I hope they dig deeper.

I just wanted to see if other people have experienced something similar and what the outcome was.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Spark plugs, spark plugs, Spark plugs.

Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Thanks for the input. Did you experience this same issue and by changing the spark plugs it went away?
Not your exact issue, but always start the simplest and most probable issues especially GDIT vehicles are less forgiving and very sensitive to spark plug abnormalities, check gaps, check for wear and tear and carbon. If you're not running super heavy mods all the way through replace them with OEM plugs which are supplied by NGK. But yea as someone else mentioned to you should probably replace the LPFS sensor anyway and the EVAP purge if issues continue.

OP
OP

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Not your exact issue, but always start the simplest and most probable issues especially GDIT vehicles are less forgiving and very sensitive to spark plug abnormalities, check gaps, check for wear and tear and carbon. If you're not running super heavy mods all the way through replace them with OEM plugs which are supplied by NGK. But yea as someone else mentioned to you should probably replace the LPFS sensor anyway and the EVAP purge if issues continue.
I'm not going to lie I was a little disappointed at first due to the fact that this is my first turbo car, not GDI though but never had any issues with Toyota, but then last night I found a forum of a few years ago about people with mustang V6's complaining of the SAME thing, rpm drop after fueling. I have found some complaining about the fusions...seems to be a Ford problem...

I am giving another dealer the chance this time to be the "experts" and solve the problem. If they call me back and tell me some bs story I will have to take the matter into my own hands. Would start one by one, check spark plugs, buy the sensor and if necessary the purge valve.

It is a disappointing experience for me though. A relatively new car acting weird and the "experts" not being able to find the problem.

OP
OP

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost

Sponsored

wes936

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang Grabber Blue EB 6MT
I also agree, change the spark plugs, I would go with the step colder spark plugs, less than $50 and 20 minutes to swap out.
Also agree. I would change the LPFS, on the off chance that you have a bad one. At less than $35 and 5 minutes, why not put in the newer revised part. Enough people are talking about bad sensors on here and other forums, that its just best to swap out as its so cheap and easy.

OP
OP

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
I also agree, change the spark plugs, I would go with the step colder spark plugs, less than $50 and 20 minutes to swap out.
Also agree. I would change the LPFS, on the off chance that you have a bad one. At less than $35 and 5 minutes, why not put in the newer revised part. Enough people are talking about bad sensors on here and other forums, that its just best to swap out as its so cheap and easy.
I opened the link provided about the bad sensor and checked the last post and person claims to having changed the sensor, spark plugs with no improvement to the car and is now about to change the purge valve.

It will still be something I do regardless once I get the car back. I just hope that it does fix it for once and for all. I really do wonder what the dealer will be telling me once they call me back with NEWS.:facepalm:

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Fast forward a couple of miles, about 32k, mind you with the random rpm drops still happening, but it got worse at around 32k. I fueled up one night and I pulled out of the gas station and was at the light waiting to change. Well, in that time the car's rpm dropped so low that it felt like the car was going to stall. Fortunately THAT night it did not, however, the following day it did. ( will post clip). I was a Wendy's drive through and noticed my air/fuel ratio acting funny and eventually car did stall that night.
Just out of curiosity, do you top off when you refuel, or do you let it click once and once only?

OP
OP

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Just out of curiosity, do you top off when you refuel, or do you let it click once and once only?
I NEVER top off. As soon as it clicks I don't attempt to fill it up anymore, in any of my cars ever lol. Sometimes I even stop before it clicks.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Last edited: