Sponsored

The Magnaflow Experience

magnetticmadness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt premium OW 10spd
I was offered to take part in Magnaflow's new ambassador program which allows me to see what they do and help share my experience. And also receiving a very nice exhaust:headbang:

I'll split this into two parts-1) The tour and the company and 2) the exhaust.

Also--Huge shoutout to [MENTION=13048]MagnaFlow[/MENTION] for offering to let me do this and a huge shoutout to Richard for showing me around and being the coolest car guy I have met!

Basically, I went out to Oceanside California where their headquarters is and got to see the entire factory and their whole process. Magnaflow doesn't just produce custom exhaust systems they also are in the business of catalytic converters. I didn't actually know this beforehand so that was actually pretty cool to learn and see. First off, their factory is absolutely MASSIVE. It doesn't look that big from the front but it's actually much larger when you go back into the building. They have so much going on in one building I was surprised but also extremely impressed. Now, I am not a factory nerd but seeing this definitely made me feel like one! The way everything is done by cutting the tubing to packing it and having it all sorted is incredible. Also, the machinery is crazy! I have never actually seen robotic manufacturing before so I can say that was a first for me. One thing I see in all of this is QUALITY. There is absolutely no way you could do this and not see a quality product. Money is definitely being put in the right places at this company! I did also get to dyno my car a few times without the new exhaust and with. That was a fun learning experience and just overall a really cool experience to have! I will say something about Richard though. He knows what he's doing. He's smart about cars and I can tell that he knows a lot about them and how they work and Magnaflow definitely got the right guy to help design exhausts!

Ok, now the exhaust which more people probably wanted to read :lol:

Firstly--this will be my opinion on the exhaust so if you don't agree that's fine--it's all subjective. Secondly--I am not being forced to write a biased review or anything I am actually writing from my personal experience and what not.

I have never owned a Magnaflow product before. I never usually veered towards them simply because the tone wasn't my liking. This product changed my mind. And I will explain to the best of my ability why. First off, the fit and finish of the product are stellar. Again quality really comes in here. I wanted the competition cat-back with black tips for two reasons. 1) It's the loudest one :headbang: and 2) black tips look really good to me. The sound is obviously hard to explain and usually, I would say go watch a video but sometimes videos don't do enough justice. And this is no exception. The sound is very deep and very rumbly. That is usually what I think of when I hear Magnaflow. However, there are a few tricks up the sleeve that I wouldn't ever be able to know about until I owned their product. It pops. Yes, the magnificent pops. They come in and are in full glory and sound so good. Can't explain that really but trust me it's there and it sounds beastly. There are really two sounds this exhaust has, below 4500 rpm and above 4500 rpm. Below 4500 it's a bassy exhaust that burbles and occasionally pops. Above 4500 rpm it pops a lot and gets nicely raspy. Having the balance of rumbly and raspy really does the trick for me. Also if you accelerate to around 5000 rpm and let off the gas it has the sound of an exotic car--personally it reminds me of the Lamborghini Aventador in that it has a round sound up in the rpm not under acceleration. If you have heard an Aventador in person that might make sense otherwise it probably won't :lol: Now the fun part. Does it drone?? The simple answer is yes. The complicated answer is no. If you don't care about how you drive and just stick at 65 on the freeway and don't do anything but keep your foot partially planted on the throttle then yes it will drone. If you have the 10 speed it's easier to manage. Sorry to anyone that has the manual with this exhaust--there probably isn't a way of getting rid of the drone! :shrug: Ford designed the 10 speed to get as low in the rpm band as possible at all times except when under heavy or spirited driving. That means you can really just avoid the drone zone altogether. For me, 65 in 10th gear usually is 1700 rpm. In my last Mustang, it was more like 2100 so the drone zone was real! I barely notice the drone and the only time I do is when I am accelerating up to highway speeds and it crosses the 2k mark at 65 mph in 9th gear. As soon as it upshifts to 10 the drone is gone.

Ok, so that concludes my review of the exhaust and my day at Magnaflow. I really don't have words for how I feel because I am simply stunned. A product has less meaning when you don't know where it came from. It has more meaning than anything when you've seen its process. Seeing how my exhaust was made and all the others that were made make me love the exhaust even more!

Again huge thanks to everyone at [MENTION=13048]MagnaFlow[/MENTION] for making this possible and keeping it real. You guys are the best:clap2:
Sponsored

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
I've run the same exhaust for over 3 years now. I'm a fan for sure, glad you're enjoying.
As for that drone zone, yeah it can be shitty I suppose. But i'm very rarely in that RPM range, even on long road trips im rarely doing 60-65 in 6th to make it drone regardless.

So, not really an issue for this MT82 owner.

rayban1

Rayban1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium Guard
I've run the same exhaust for 2 years. I agree with the sound, it's what was I looking for. Thats whats best about mustangs, you make it what you like. As far as drone it's there in 6th about 60-65, never a problem as i just down shift with my manual 6 speed or speed up or slow down so the engine does not have a lag....

ENPhoto

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ErikNymanPhotography.com
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt Premium Performance Pack
Going to add my $0.02 here, incase anyone searches for MF Competition.

I went with the axlebacks right away. Loved the tone. Nice and deep, slightly louder than stock. Needed a bit more volume and a good throaty cold start, so I went to a local exhaust shop and had an H-Pipe welded in the stock resonator's place. Now it's throaty, has a good deep idle to it and burbles on decel. I get a bit of the coyote "x-pipe type rasp" around 4500-5000 WOT that goes away shortly after.

I do get a good amount of drone in 6th around 50-60mph when I put load on it...but I have two options. Either wait it out till it hits 2500rpm or downshift to 5th.

Not as loud as a roush AB with frpp x-pipe....but I really like the tone more. It's deeper and I can hear it at idle. I think that Magnaflows are more suited to the older school muscle crowd...which isn't typically how a coyote engine sounds...but MF makes it interesting and different. Which partly is why I went that route. Everyone here either goes Solo, Corsa, Roush or MBRP.

Next on the list is a set of BBK longtubes with O/R Mids.

Then I think I'll be set.

MustangPP1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt
Going to add my $0.02 here, incase anyone searches for MF Competition.

I went with the axlebacks right away. Loved the tone. Nice and deep, slightly louder than stock. Needed a bit more volume and a good throaty cold start, so I went to a local exhaust shop and had an H-Pipe welded in the stock resonator's place. Now it's throaty, has a good deep idle to it and burbles on decel. I get a bit of the coyote "x-pipe type rasp" around 4500-5000 WOT that goes away shortly after.

I do get a good amount of drone in 6th around 50-60mph when I put load on it...but I have two options. Either wait it out till it hits 2500rpm or downshift to 5th.

Not as loud as a roush AB with frpp x-pipe....but I really like the tone more. It's deeper and I can hear it at idle. I think that Magnaflows are more suited to the older school muscle crowd...which isn't typically how a coyote engine sounds...but MF makes it interesting and different. Which partly is why I went that route. Everyone here either goes Solo, Corsa, Roush or MBRP.

Next on the list is a set of BBK longtubes with O/R Mids.

Then I think I'll be set.
I have an H pipe installed already and am interested in the axleback. How much was it louder than stock?

Sponsored

Kona 18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
The Maganflow exhaust is nice, quality is def there. I order the street cat-back for my 18 and had zero issues installing it. There was some minot shipping damage to the tips but none of it is visible once it was on the car. The only other thing was I had to straighten out the slip joint since they got bent during shipping.

It took the exhaust about 500 miles to fully break in, during the first few hundred it sounded barely any louder than stock, now it's got a good tone, minimal drone and sounds decent from the outside, not at all raspy. Now the reason I went with the street version and not the completion was because I wanted the resonated X pipe, I have a set of long tubes I'm about to toss on the car and they are going to completely change the ton of the exhaust, figured the street cutback mixed with long tubes should lead to a very nice sounding set up
IMG_2608.jpg
IMG_2623.JPG

ENPhoto

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ErikNymanPhotography.com
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt Premium Performance Pack
I have an H pipe installed already and am interested in the axleback. How much was it louder than stock?
Stock to MF Axlebacks = probably 50-75% louder than stock.

MF Axlebacks with H Added in = Twice as loud as stock during warm idle. More so on cold starts, high rpm. Hard to judge.

CJ Pony Parts has a few videos up that compares different sounds. I get a similar experience as their MRT H Pipe + MF AB video. They also compare a bunch of other ones. It's a mid-grade on the volume, compared to others.

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The problem with Magnaflow is they charge T-304 prices but use T-409 for the tubing. At least with Borla and Corsa your $$$ is actually gets you rust resistant stainless.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
The problem with Magnaflow is they charge T-304 prices but use T-409 for the tubing. At least with Borla and Corsa your $$$ is actually gets you rust resistant stainless.
Except the Corsa stuff sounds terrible...

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
For those looking for a great muffler on a budget and don't mind a little fab. The Magnaflow 12229 3" or 12226 2.5" welded into the stock location are great options. Very mellow, no drone, and only a hint of rasp.

Volume is on par with the street set up but not as bassy.

Sponsored

jefffrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
For those looking for a great muffler on a budget and don't mind a little fab. The Magnaflow 12229 3" or 12226 2.5" welded into the stock location are great options. Very mellow, no drone, and only a hint of rasp.

Volume is on par with the street set up but not as bassy.
Do you have any pics or sound clips? What did you do for tips?

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Except the Corsa stuff sounds terrible...
Sound is subjective, but quality is not.

I originally wanted to go Magnaflow, but went Corsa instead as it was $20 more for much better materials. And IMO the Corsa sounds great, but that is, again, subjective.
Sponsored