Sponsored

Thinking of selling my car for a Raptor.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
I would say keep it if its not a financial hardship. I went through the same thing a while back. I had an 01 GT that I had sunk over 40k into. Custom paint, bodywork, interior, sound system, built teksid motor, supercharged with meth injection. Bad ass car that would win drag races or shows. When it came time to sell it I tried to get close to 30k for it because it was a very special GT. However at that time you could get a low mileage 03 Cobra for what I was hoping for. I thought, why would you want a stock Cobra when you could get this bad ass custom car that would spank the shit out of a Cobra? Well, as others have stated, not many people want someone else's project and they may not have the same taste. I ended up selling it for 16k and to this day that still makes me cringe for all the hard work, blood, sweat, and tears I put into it. I simply needed money badly with my second son coming and had no choice. Hopefully you do!
Sponsored

OP
OP
ven377

ven377

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I would say keep it if its not a financial hardship. I went through the same thing a while back. I had an 01 GT that I had sunk over 40k into. Custom paint, bodywork, interior, sound system, built teksid motor, supercharged with meth injection. Bad ass car that would win drag races or shows. When it came time to sell it I tried to get close to 30k for it because it was a very special GT. However at that time you could get a low mileage 03 Cobra for what I was hoping for. I thought, why would you want a stock Cobra when you could get this bad ass custom car that would spank the shit out of a Cobra? Well, as others have stated, not many people want someone else's project and they may not have the same taste. I ended up selling it for 16k and to this day that still makes me cringe for all the hard work, blood, sweat, and tears I put into it. I simply needed money badly with my second son coming and had no choice. Hopefully you do!
I hear you. I am drawing the line here and parting with it before I spend more money and dig my self a deeper hole lol.

OP
OP
ven377

ven377

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
If it were me, and I wanted to sell that Mustang, here's how I would try it;

Make an awesome on-line advertisement for the Mustang;
-Amazing pics.
-Install the good mechanical stuff that isn't on the car yet, especially the brakes.
-The same list of mods as here, but more detailed.
-After each line of modification, describe what it does performance-wise for the car. Features and benefits.
-Amazing pics. This can't be stressed enough, you must sell the fantasy of the car to someone, make them lust for it, make it so they can't live without it.
-Ask $80K for it. That might sound high, but don't try and list it at a cheap price, or people will think it's a cheap car. Maybe even ask more than $80K, maybe $100K.
-Keep the ad tasteful. Think Savile Row, not Honest Ed's Used Car Emporium. Use words like "bespoke", not "custom". Say "engineered", not "modded".
-Remove the friggin' wrap and as much exterior crap as you can, return it as close to a stock exterior as possible. The carbon fiber body parts are a big seller, have them bare and polished if possible.

What you're looking for is to stir emotional passion in someone that can afford to actually buy the car. Make the car come across as brutal, but refined. Amazingly well-engineered, with the world's best Mustang motor.

Then if it doesn't sell, keep it.
Thanks for the feed back!

draph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 6MT PP1
As an engineer and a car guy, I would not pay a lot for an "amateur" modded car. Also, there's some fallacy in the way some of the mods are listed...you have 10,000 miles on a tune, but 4000 miles on a later built motor to 5.2 liters to which the 10,000 mile old tune wouldn't apply (unless there's some kind of "lifetime tune" service that re-tunes with every new mod of which I'm unaware). There's also implications of this being an experimental project car..."I did this 10,000 miles ago, then this failed, which led to this mod, then this failed, so I bought that, etc...That's not something I'd want to drop $60K on compared to modded Mustang from a well-known, name recognized modding company that, through marketing and owner testimonials, helps their products come off as "thoroughly tested and integrated system of parts and software to enhance the Mustang experience".

I could be an engineering elitist, but I believe there's legitimate technical trade-offs chosen by the Ford engineers; and aftermarket mods do pose a risk to optimal tradeoffs between performance, all-round driveabilty, and reliability. However, there may be some truth to factory "de-tuning" earlier model years to enable more sales of "upgrades" on later model years. If that comes to fruition, only then would I consider a tune on my older model year to bring in line or slightly surpass the later model year.

But, Good luck. This is the land of diverse thought and opinions, and there may be someone who will pay top dollar for your unique car.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Demod it, sell the mods at 50% and hope for the best there. Once those are sold, sell the car; then buy a raptor.

Personally, I can't see spending $70K on a truck; but they wouldn't be on the road if there weren't buyers out there. Good luck, enjoy the truck!
It's worth it, My father has an 18. Frickin awesome truck.

Sponsored

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
BTW....Raptors are extremely over-rated.
I have a coworker that has a Raptor and he seems to enjoy it a lot. However, I'm no longer a truck guy since I discovered that I like taking fast turns and agree with everyone here about not being able to get close to what he put in his car. I think that he'll be better off returning the car close to a stock state and selling off the mods separately.

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
I wouldn't get a Raptor until they introduce a V8 again. Yep, I'm one of those guys. I like my trucks and Mustangs with V8's.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Mods are always money down the drain.
Back in the day I had a 95 Impala SS that I spent $$$$$, not the least of which was 8K to drop the auto and put in a T56 6 speed. I prolly had another 5+ or more in other mods. I sold it for 8K not long after I put the 6 speed in.

Good luck.

All that said, I just traded my GT in on a custom order F150 with the 3.5. I need a more useful vehicle that can go all winter long and pull a fifth wheel.

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
If you want to get anything over $40k for that car you’ll have to get the numerous issues you listed fixed:

Wide body kit needs work, Wrap has seen better days, airlift has leak, carbon rear diffuser needs replacing, etc.

When commanding a high price for a fully built car like this, it is going to have to be dialed in 100% without flaws.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Raptors are fun...
No shit. If the OP drives on dirt and bumpy roads all the time, go for it. I was in my f250 4x4 on a logging road the other day and a raptor blew my shit away and got to the lake long before me.

Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I happen to have my Mustang AND a '17 Raptor. If you can, keep the Mustang and get the Raptor. My Raptor is my daily, my tow rig, my do-everything vehicle.

People that think Raptors are over rated usually don't own one and never will. Cruising effortlessly over bumpy stuff at 90mph+ never gets old. Mine is Whipple tuned with a new IC and intake and makes the truck absolutely beastly. I've clocked it at under 5 seconds to 60mph.

Jeeps I'm sure can rock crawl better than my Raptor. They sure can't go as fast, tow as much, or have the same level of luxury inside.

I will say that if I had to choose between the Mustang and the Raptor I would choose the Raptor any day of the week.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I happen to have my Mustang AND a '17 Raptor. If you can, keep the Mustang and get the Raptor. My Raptor is my daily, my tow rig, my do-everything vehicle.

People that think Raptors are over rated usually don't own one and never will. Cruising effortlessly over bumpy stuff at 90mph+ never gets old. Mine is Whipple tuned with a new IC and intake and makes the truck absolutely beastly. I've clocked it at under 5 seconds to 60mph.

Jeeps I'm sure can rock crawl better than my Raptor. They sure can't go as fast, tow as much, or have the same level of luxury inside.

I will say that if I had to choose between the Mustang and the Raptor I would choose the Raptor any day of the week.
You are fortunate to have a brand new very expensive truck plus a brand new car. Most people can't afford a luxury like that.

Not to knock the Raptor, but who takes hills and bumps at 90+ mph? Maybe in a truck series dirt race, but not too many other situations. A Raptor and a Jeep have very different target audiences. The Raptor is a ride that you show off and brag about, drive in the sand hills very fast, tow something, or show a sports car you have power. A Jeep is a cult following that has a massive aftermarket department and goes anywhere. Jeeps have rattles, get horrible gas mileage, and are pretty slow, but the old story of the tortoise and the hare comes into play here :). Okay, I'm a tad bit bias.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
You are fortunate to have a brand new very expensive truck plus a brand new car. Most people can't afford a luxury like that.

Not to knock the Raptor, but who takes hills and bumps at 90+ mph? Maybe in a truck series dirt race, but not too many other situations. A Raptor and a Jeep have very different target audiences. The Raptor is a ride that you show off and brag about, drive in the sand hills very fast, tow something, or show a sports car you have power. A Jeep is a cult following that has a massive aftermarket department and goes anywhere. Jeeps have rattles, get horrible gas mileage, and are pretty slow, but the old story of the tortoise and the hare comes into play here :). Okay, I'm a tad bit bias.
Honestly that's the thing about the Raptor. When you drive one around, you don't need to brag about it or show it off. People know what it is and respect it. It's fast, it's comfortable, and it has a 36 gallon fuel tank. I would have a truck no matter what since I tow my Mustang to race events. I'm indeed very fortunate that my tow rig is a Raptor. Speed bumps, curbs, potholes, etc are just suggestions on the road. It's just fun. Or just head to the store in complete comfort and silence, it does that too. The only thing it doesn't do is fit into parking garages lol.

If you're into Jeeps, that's cool. I've just never seen the appeal of driving around being miserable on pavement (they have gotten better, I'll admit) on the chance that a couple of times a year I can take it to an off road park. I'm not going to say my truck is a pavement princess but it definitely makes more trips to Starbucks than it does off road.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Don't think it will tow like my f250 though...what is it rated at?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Honestly that's the thing about the Raptor. When you drive one around, you don't need to brag about it or show it off. People know what it is and respect it. It's fast, it's comfortable, and it has a 36 gallon fuel tank. I would have a truck no matter what since I tow my Mustang to race events. I'm indeed very fortunate that my tow rig is a Raptor. Speed bumps, curbs, potholes, etc are just suggestions on the road. It's just fun. Or just head to the store in complete comfort and silence, it does that too. The only thing it doesn't do is fit into parking garages lol.

If you're into Jeeps, that's cool. I've just never seen the appeal of driving around being miserable on pavement (they have gotten better, I'll admit) on the chance that a couple of times a year I can take it to an off road park. I'm not going to say my truck is a pavement princess but it definitely makes more trips to Starbucks than it does off road.
That's why it's such a great time to be alive. Everyone likes something different and there are options for everyone. Jeeps do have a rough ride, especially when lifted. Stiff springs and solid axles on the front and back add to the harsh ride. It doesn't ride terrible, it's just firm. You can tell when roads have imperfections.

I'm not necessarily a Jeep fanboy, but the aftermarket department for Jeeps is ridiculous. So many options. Plus, they aren't as wide so I can fit through tight areas on trails.
Sponsored