Sponsored

Vmp gen 3 vs gen3 whipple

Dream50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
what’s your thoughts on these two setups. 93 fuel for now with a change to e85. What setup would you guys recommend that have experience with these setups. Car is a 2017 mustang mt82
Sponsored

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
what’s your thoughts on these two setups. 93 fuel for now with a change to e85. What setup would you guys recommend that have experience with these setups. Car is a 2017 mustang mt82
I think in terms of power both of these will be very similar. You can't go wrong with either. Comes down to just personal choice. I have the Gen 3 whipple and it's awesome. 700+ whp right out of the box. No longtubes, standard pulley and pump fuel. I really didn't like the idea of having to hack the motor just to make the VMP fit. Plus the look of the front feed just looks badass. I got the oversized heat exchanger as well which when combined with their already big intercooler makes for some very low intake temps.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium 6 speed
Can't go wrong with either one. I have ridden in a Whipple and VMP, and even though I have a twin screw Kenne Bell, I think I prefer the feel and power curve of the VMP.

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
Can't go wrong with either one. I have ridden in a Whipple and VMP, and even though I have a twin screw Kenne Bell, I think I prefer the feel and power curve of the VMP.

Dyno.png

I hear people say alot of times about the VMP being a TQ monster and about it's curve. I've tried to find dyno images to see this to compare but could find none. Here is my dyno graph. Pretty impressive curve to me. I'm not doubting the VMP. I think it's an awesome unit but I'd love to see this curve everyone talks about. Maybe someone has a graph they can share? This is just a stage 2 whipple, stock cats, pump 94, 3.75.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium 6 speed
Dyno.png

I hear people say alot of times about the VMP being a TQ monster and about it's curve. I've tried to find dyno images to see this to compare but could find none. Here is my dyno graph. Pretty impressive curve to me. I'm not doubting the VMP. I think it's an awesome unit but I'd love to see this curve everyone talks about. Maybe someone has a graph they can share? This is just a stage 2 whipple, stock cats, pump 94, 3.75.
As far as power curve, I was not referring to dyno graphs. I fail to see how a TVS style could have a torque curve much better than the one above, though. Just from feel, it felt like at equal boost compared to mine, the VMP had a stronger low end (3000-4500). Above that, the twin screw feels stronger for sure.

Sponsored

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
I've actually never been in a TVS car. Well I was in a friends 2016 with a roush blower but it wasn't a wide open throttle run. I should hit him up for a full run and see how it feels. I would really like to take a run in a 2650 blower car and compare...just have to find one around where I am....lol

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
IME TVS cars seem to hit harder initially, but don't have the upper RPM pull that the Whipple does. To me the Whipple almost feels like a centri up top. The crazy thing is under load the blower will make crazy boost at low RPM. My car is a 6MT with 3.31 and tall rear tires. A little stab of the throttle in 6th can result in 8psi before 3000rpm. I hate doing that to the engine but I have to admit its kind of cool.

@Platinum_5.0 Hard to argue with that TQ curve, it's flatter than my kitchen table!

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
I think in terms of power both of these will be very similar. You can't go wrong with either. Comes down to just personal choice. I have the Gen 3 whipple and it's awesome. 700+ whp right out of the box. No longtubes, standard pulley and pump fuel. I really didn't like the idea of having to hack the motor just to make the VMP fit. Plus the look of the front feed just looks badass. I got the oversized heat exchanger as well which when combined with their already big intercooler makes for some very low intake temps.
Are you running the whipple tune? What about a BAP?

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I've actually never been in a TVS car. Well I was in a friends 2016 with a roush blower but it wasn't a wide open throttle run. I should hit him up for a full run and see how it feels. I would really like to take a run in a 2650 blower car and compare...just have to find one around where I am....lol
If he’s using the Roush tune, don’t waste your time.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
As far as power curve, I was not referring to dyno graphs. I fail to see how a TVS style could have a torque curve much better than the one above, though. Just from feel, it felt like at equal boost compared to mine, the VMP had a stronger low end (3000-4500). Above that, the twin screw feels stronger for sure.
Because it’s not a true compressor like the Whipple.
TVS stuff tends to hit harder off the bottom but often falls flat where the Whipple just keeps on going. Mine is still pulling harder and harder as I approach the 7500 limiter. Wishing it was an 8k limiter tbh.
Pictured below is an Edelbrock 2650 compared to a tuned NA car.
Assuming the NA was reaching 7200, you can assume that the 2650 peaked at ~6500 before tapering off at basically the same rate it was getting there in the first place.
83A9297A-E0D6-472E-A481-88F08D99DF0B.jpeg

Last edited:

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
Are you running the whipple tune? What about a BAP?
I was making 681whp on the Whipple tune. I'm on a PBDyno tune now and no BAP.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
we had a customer that had a gen 3 whipple on his 2014 car, making like 1010, we swapped to the vmp on it, made 980, he did have like 2 less psi on the vmp so i'd say very similar in terms of power

09jsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard PP GT
I have a Gen 2r with the 82mm pulley on 93 and Intake cams.
Obviously not a gen 3 or whipple but I feel like the VMP blowers get a bad name from some.

This is pretty low boost. I’m showing about 8.5 psi. Mine doesn’t fall off and it’s SAE not std
81435DB7-27D9-4ADC-9220-DE74ADF4387A.jpeg

jayman33

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
15 PP
Either one is going to max out a stock block and both are going to make great power and pretty much be maintenance free which is a huge plus. Cant go wrong with either one, I personally prefer the whipple as theres less modifications that need to be done and the power delivery seems relatively more linear and just crazy up top.
Sponsored