Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
I'm drinking so i'm not out driving,but let me say this..ford has a lot of issues, but engine design isn't one of them,they give more bang for buck than anyone on the planet naturally aspirated, other than exotics..yes they have a furniture salesman ceo, yes their marketing sucks,yes their rav department costs them hundreds of thousand if not millions,and if any of you have worked for a huge corporation you know 3/4 of the people don't have a clue and its mostly the higher ups..but my hat is off and i'll take a bow to the engine design team whomever they are, I've had prolly 12 mustangs and 10-15 other fords from trucks to fiestas and I have never had a critical engine failure EVER..and i'm not easy on anything ever, and my dad who was a ford man was like an evil engine torturer whom abused vehicles so bad u can't even fathom it..i'm talking 1 oil change every year if your lucky, and never a tranny change or coolant change let alone a diff change..so i'm going back to when I can remember which is probably mid 70's and I know in the 80's he had a 62 1 ton flat bed straight 6 that NEVER had its oil changed in 5 years but used a quart a week so he said he was changing it monthly..but it never stopped running and we never had to repair it..and as far as I can remember between the torturer and me mini torturer..we never had a failure bigger than a timing chain, so u all go on and whine and complain about noises you hear,but nothing else..i'll stand by a ford engine to this day and I love what they did with the 18 coyote. its a fantastic engine!!…..ok ford please pm me for my address so I can get my check :)
Sponsored

Shoshin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Had tires balanced and still getting the 63-72 vibration. (Loudest 65-70)
I am guessing it is the drive shaft.

I will make an appointment next week to look at it.
Don’t want to drive it in sport+ mode because it rattles a lot so I drive in normal mode which rattles less.

Truly disappointing.

Update on my trip to the dealership.

Driveshaft imbalance was resolved.

The rattle issue was not.
Two seperate cylinder deactivation test were run and made no difference in the rattle.
Basically it's drive it and wait to see if there is a TSB or further information on the rattle.

Unfortunately got a decent scratch and a ding apparantly just before I got the car back.
They will fix those issues this week.

I am seriously considering just trading to get a GT350 but those have their own issues.

Also I have a good bit of ticking but didn't even mention it because it it seems most of them do it to some degree.

Last edited:

Lightning5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Car in the shop for long block replacement, 2k-4k rattle. Dealership should be done by tomorrow. I'll follow up on how the car sounds afterwards

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Car in the shop for long block replacement, 2k-4k rattle. Dealership should be done by tomorrow. I'll follow up on how the car sounds afterwards
they are replacing it just because of the rattle? or did they see damage? or another issue? They specifically said its the rattle is what im asking?

please post up the WO when you get it back

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
I just posted this in another thread about the ticking noise and I figured it was worth posting in here. This is from the S550 facebook group and a member was asking about the ticking sound and ~2000 RPM rattle. I completely believe this response with regards to the idle tick but I asked about the ~2000 RPM rattle potentially being piston slap and I haven't gotten a response yet.
201850tick.JPG
Those of us that have had engines replaced have also had scoring in cylinders. You may also want to add that to your question. If he had the obnoxious rattle, I can't believe he would say that was normal.

Sponsored

Shoshin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Update on my trip to the dealership.

Driveshaft imbalance was resolved.

The rattle issue was not.
Two seperate cylinder deactivation test were run and made no difference in the rattle.
Basically it's drive it and wait to see if there is a TSB or further information on the rattle.

Unfortunately got a decent scratch and a ding apparantly just before I got the car back.
They will fix those issues this week.

I am seriously considering just trading to get a GT350 but those have their own issues.

Also I have a good bit of ticking but didn't even mention it because it it seems most of them do it to some degree.
I have worked with the shop foreman working on my car for many years.

One of the most honest hard working individuals I have ever met.

That being said, I decided to move on when I found a reasonable deal on a GT350.

Hopefully I will not have issues with it as it is an amazing car.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Cold engine rattle is getting worse, and seems to be the loudest at 2800rpm. Warm rattle is the same. Come on with that TSB, Ford!

92 Couper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP - Competition Orange

Mine started doing it (random idle/knock/tick) last week at just under 3400 miles. I cant here if it does it at low RPM/under light throttle when moving because of my loud as hell Roush exhaust, but the video shows what it does when is at operating temperature at idle. Will be pulling off the JLT and removing tune shortly (as soon as SCT fixes a bug with the BDX that will not allow it to return to stock) and taking it to the dealer to see what they say.
Dropped mine off at the dealer this morning for the tick. It has been getting louder since I posted this video. All the service writers and techs were able to come out and hear it coming from underneath the car in the service drop-off area. We will see what they come up with for a diagnosis.

Also dropped the 16 GT off at the same time for AC evaporator failure and they were able to diagnose that in 30 minutes and get the part on emergency order.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Dropped mine off at the dealer this morning for the tick. It has been getting louder since I posted this video. All the service writers and techs were able to come out and hear it coming from underneath the car in the service drop-off area. We will see what they come up with for a diagnosis.

Also dropped the 16 GT off at the same time for AC evaporator failure and they were able to diagnose that in 30 minutes and get the part on emergency order.
You aren't having much luck. 2 cars in the shop at the same time.

Sponsored

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
They replaced your long block. The list price of that engine block is $6,338.80.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Little bit of data for everyone... A bit over 5k miles with 5w30 and just added about 1.5 qts. I have the BBQ tick and engine rattle. More oil consumption then I am used to (my 6 consumed nothing between 10k synthetic oil changes) but not abnormal for a coyote it seems.

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
I have been away from the thread but wanted to give an update. Ford gave me my offer for the vehicle but they are not trying to give me my down payment or payments back. The analyst is not going along with my states lemon law. Lawyer looked into it and gave me some info. I will take it up the ladder.

At this point, because of the incompetent people ford employs, I will no longer do business with Ford.

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
I have been away from the thread but wanted to give an update. Ford gave me my offer for the vehicle but they are not trying to give me my down payment or payments back. The analyst is not going along with my states lemon law. Lawyer looked into it and gave me some info. I will take it up the ladder.

At this point, because of the incompetent people ford employs, I will no longer do business with Ford.
It'd be awesome if you got every penny back from them, but I thought you would only be entitled to fair market value of that vehicle as it stands today. You drove it and used it x amount of miles, thus it depreciated. Hopefully I'm wrong :)

Madtwos

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem w/ Corsa Act Ex
It'd be awesome if you got every penny back from them, but I thought you would only be entitled to fair market value of that vehicle as it stands today. You drove it and used it x amount of miles, thus it depreciated. Hopefully I'm wrong :)
Under a normal "good faith" buyback yes. But this is under lemon law. I am entitled to a full refund by law. I have a lawyer just in case.
Sponsored