SgdriskillGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
Can anyone comment on the Hawk HPS 5.0 pads vs the Hawk Street/Race pads? How do they compare to OEM GT PP?

Thinking about upgrading my stock '18 GT PP brake pads for better performance on the track at HPDE's. It's my daily driver, but I'll also do 7+ more track days this year.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I would look at G-LOC or Ferodo's other offerings if you need a more capable track pad. Hawks are notorious for eating rotors (their HP+, which are now called Street/Race, do that quite badly). G-LOC R10/R8 or Ferodo DS1.11. The HPS 5.0 will be a downgrade from the stock PP pads.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I would look at G-LOC or Ferodo's other offerings if you need a more capable track pad. Hawks are notorious for eating rotors (their HP+, which are now called Street/Race, do that quite badly). G-LOC R10/R8 or Ferodo DS1.11. The HPS 5.0 will be a downgrade from the stock PP pads.
Ditto on HP+. Been there. Once was more than enough.

Norm

OP
OP
SgdriskillGT

SgdriskillGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
Very good to know, thanks for the tip! My problem with the stock PP pads is I keep getting brake deposits on my rotors...or at least that is what I suspect. Happens after track days, the brakes get loud and I can feel more friction in the brake pedal. Almost feels like vibration, similar to what people describe as warped rotors, but I don't think it's that. It's more noise than vibration. Sounds like louder grinding of the pads on the rotors. I hope it's just deposits. Last time I went out and did ten 60-0mph hard stops, and it felt like this helped remove most of the deposits.

I believe the stock PP pads are Ferodo...do you think this is common for Ferodo pads?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Very good to know, thanks for the tip! My problem with the stock PP pads is I keep getting brake deposits on my rotors...or at least that is what I suspect. Happens after track days, the brakes get loud and I can feel more friction in the brake pedal. Almost feels like vibration, similar to what people describe as warped rotors, but I don't think it's that. It's more noise than vibration. Sounds like louder grinding of the pads on the rotors. I hope it's just deposits. Last time I went out and did ten 60-0mph hard stops, and it felt like this helped remove most of the deposits.

I believe the stock PP pads are Ferodo...do you think this is common for Ferodo pads?
I have friends who have had this happen from street driving as well. They are Ferodo pads. Its curious that you notice that after track days, though. It may be common. If you switch to their DS1.11 for track use only you should have a better time, and will not require re-bedding.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SgdriskillGT

SgdriskillGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
I have friends who have had this happen from street driving as well. They are Ferodo pads. Its curious that you notice that after track days, though. It may be common. If you switch to their DS1.11 for track use only you should have a better time, and will not require re-bedding.
I'll definitely upgrade my pads asap. Do you have any experience with EBC brake pads?

I'll likely be choosing between EBC, Ferodo DS1.11, and the G-Loc that you mentioned. Have a buddy w/ a 50th anniversary that swears by EBC.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'll definitely upgrade my pads asap. Do you have any experience with EBC brake pads?

I'll likely be choosing between EBC, Ferodo DS1.11, and the G-Loc that you mentioned. Have a buddy w/ a 50th anniversary that swears by EBC.
The one and only time I used EBC pads, their dust ate the clear coat off my precious vehicle's wheels and they began to corrode. I wouldn't again.
Sponsored