Sponsored

Making the Plunge into Suspension

WalterArch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hi All-

I've been lurking for a while trying to get myself some education on all the suspension upgrades available for our S550's. I've hit the point where I've got a little cash to spend ($1,000-$1,500) and I'm ready to take the plunge into ordering some parts. Problem is, my head is spinning from too much information, so, now I'm hoping for some friendly recommendations.

The background:
2016 GT Premium
No engine upgrades
No boost in my future (sad face)
Daily Driver/Weekend Warrior (garaged for majority of the winter)
1 track day per year

The goal:
Lower the car for looks (around 1")
Lower the car for handling corners on the back roads of ME and the on ramps of MA

The future upgrades:
Velgen 20x9 and 20x10.5 wheels
https://lmr.com/item/WTK-S52010MGM/...-bdPlbrF1RfrgDaSl5jwi7y-G73xaEzBoCnwMQAvD_BwE
camber adjustment parts
cold air intake
tune

I've settled on the BMR SP080's or the Steeda Sport Progressive springs. What to pair with it is the problem.

Do you recommend a BMR sway bar and rear lock-out kit or Steeda stop the hop components.

I don't intent to make it one company or the other. I'm up for combining manufacturers as long as it's compatible.

Of course, if grouping components with one versus the other equals savings... I'm all ears.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
progressive spring.jpg
stop the hop starter kit.jpg
Steeda's Stage 1 Handling Package - Sport Progressive and Steeda S550 Mustang 'Stop the Hop' Starter Kit (2015-2019)
Great value for under a 1000.00! with fantastic reviews on this forum and other sites! Add Steeda's fixed valve pro-action shocks with a discount code even better!

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-stage-1-handling-package-sport-progressive-2015-gt-v6-555-2122-p.html
https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-Mustang-Stop-The-Hop-Starter-Kit-555-4455
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-pro-action-shocks-and-struts-for-s550-non-adjustable-en.html
Steeda Tech
FIXED VALVE S550.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
WalterArch

WalterArch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
progressive spring.jpg
stop the hop starter kit.jpg
Steeda's Stage 1 Handling Package - Sport Progressive and Steeda S550 Mustang 'Stop the Hop' Starter Kit (2015-2019)
Great value for under a 1000.00! with fantastic reviews on this forum and other sites! Add Steeda's fixed valve pro-action shocks with a discount code even better!

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-stage-1-handling-package-sport-progressive-2015-gt-v6-555-2122-p.html
https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-Mustang-Stop-The-Hop-Starter-Kit-555-4455
https://www.steeda.com/steeda-pro-action-shocks-and-struts-for-s550-non-adjustable-en.html
Steeda Tech
FIXED VALVE S550.jpg
Thank you for the suggestions!

I've viewed the stage 1 kit for than once.

Two dumb questions:

1.) Why the IRS braces as opposed to the K brace and Strut tower brace?
2.) If my current struts/shocks only have 25k on them, would the money for the Steeda shocks/struts be better spent elsewhere for now and then upgrade to those in a year with the tires and wheels upgrade?

-Walt

OP
OP
WalterArch

WalterArch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Updating this post. After further deep diving and soaking in all the incredible content on these forums I've settled on the package below to start. Huge shout outs to Mike D @SteedaTech and @Bluemustang for taking the time to answer some of my pointed questions.

I'm like a kid the night before Christmas waiting for these to show up:

555 8150 Steeda Pro-Action Shocks and Struts

555 8208 Steeda Mustang Sport Lowering Springs - Linear

555 4445 Steeda S550 Mustang Adjustable Bumpstop Kit

CB005 BMR Cradel Bushing Lock-Out Kit - Level 2

Also picked up two other goodies... one for use and one for looks, I bet you can't tell which is which :giggle:

555 7022 Steeda S550 Mustang Clutch Spring Assist 35 lb/in

476 STEEDA WING 15 Steeda S550 Functional Race Wing

I'll have a small write up on the install, and of course some before and after pictures!

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Updating this post. After further deep diving and soaking in all the incredible content on these forums I've settled on the package below to start. Huge shout outs to Mike D @SteedaTech and @Bluemustang for taking the time to answer some of my pointed questions.

Also picked up two other goodies... one for use and one for looks, I bet you can't tell which is which :giggle:

I'll have a small write up on the install, and of course some before and after pictures!
I think you’ll be very pleased with that setup! I look forward to hearing your impressions. I had a look at that race wing too looks very cool.

Congrats dude!!!

Sponsored

dharts9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

Mike was a big help for me yesterday also. I really like that you and I were not steered towards the exact same setups which means that he knows his stuff and he isn’t just trying to sell! What type of use are you going for?

OP
OP
WalterArch

WalterArch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Mike was a big help for me yesterday also. I really like that you and I were not steered towards the exact same setups which means that he knows his stuff and he isn’t just trying to sell! What type of use are you going for?
The use for now is daily driver with some aggressive rides through the back country of Maine and group rides around the highways of MA. My friend has a Mercedes C63 AMG so I'm doing my best to keep up with him through the highway on ramps.

Next year I'm locked in for at leas tone HPDE event, but am looking for more. There are some great tracks available here between Palmer Motorsports, Lime Rock, and Thompson.

What set-up are you putting on?

dharts9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The use for now is daily driver with some aggressive rides through the back country of Maine and group rides around the highways of MA. My friend has a Mercedes C63 AMG so I'm doing my best to keep up with him through the highway on ramps.

Next year I'm locked in for at leas tone HPDE event, but am looking for more. There are some great tracks available here between Palmer Motorsports, Lime Rock, and Thompson.

So we aren't too far off of each other. I unfortunately do not have the country back roads like you but I am building mine as a weekend warrior/track car w/ plans to join a local HPDE within the next month. I want to get some track experience before the weather shifts. I also did some future proofing as opposed to getting what would work for me today.

My soon to come setup:

Dual Rate Springs, 555-8246

ProAction Adjustable Strut/Shock Set, 555-8157

Front Camber Plates, 555-4439

Rear Billet Mounts, 555-8152

Adjustable Bump Stop Kit, 555-4445

Stop the Hop Starter Kit, 555-4455

Rear Toe Link Kit, 555-4119

Billet Vertical Links, 555-4129

*insert 5 year old smile on Christmas morning*

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750

So we aren't too far off of each other. I unfortunately do not have the country back roads like you but I am building mine as a weekend warrior/track car w/ plans to join a local HPDE within the next month. I want to get some track experience before the weather shifts. I also did some future proofing as opposed to getting what would work for me today.

My soon to come setup:

Dual Rate Springs, 555-8246

ProAction Adjustable Strut/Shock Set, 555-8157

Front Camber Plates, 555-4439

Rear Billet Mounts, 555-8152

Adjustable Bump Stop Kit, 555-4445

Stop the Hop Starter Kit, 555-4455

Rear Toe Link Kit, 555-4119

Billet Vertical Links, 555-4129

*insert 5 year old smile on Christmas morning*
WalterArch and dharts9, if you have any questions on the install or set up please reach out. Also If you have any questions on prep before your HPDE event please reach out as well!
Thank you!

Mike D

dharts9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
WalterArch and dharts9, if you have any questions on the install or set up please reach out. Also If you have any questions on prep before your HPDE event please reach out as well!
Thank you!

Mike D
I will definitely will have some in regards to adjusting my camber and the shocks/struts.

Sponsored
OP
OP
WalterArch

WalterArch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Ladies and Gentleman... we have parts in hand!!!!

What's worse? Waiting for the boxes to arrive, or, the time it takes to get them on the car?
Steeda Boxes.jpg

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
You made a great decision in choosing Steeda ... you won't be disappointed.

We look forward to your review!

Best Regards,

TJ

dharts9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Ladies and Gentleman... we have parts in hand!!!!

What's worse? Waiting for the boxes to arrive, or, the time it takes to get them on the car?
Steeda Boxes.jpg
Got mine installed earlier this week, loving it so far. This weekend i'm really putting it to the test. Enjoy your Christmas brother!

Racerx009

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford mustang gt non pp
Vehicle Showcase

You can't go wrong with steeda parts my mustang has 90% of their products in my 17 except for the eibach sport lines. They drop the car low.
20180818_112213.jpg

OP
OP
WalterArch

WalterArch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You can't go wrong with steeda parts my mustang has 90% of their products in my 17 except for the eibach sport lines. They drop the car low.
20180818_112213.jpg
Good looking car boss (terrible pun, I can't help myself). The decals are just subtle enough but add great pop.

Cheers!
Sponsored