Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That's a fun article - thanks for posting!

I've got a 2018 PP1 with the the 10-speed auto, and got to drive a 2017 440i with the M performance package (I think that's what it is), not the M4, with their 8-speed auto just last weekend, and I'd say they're about even to me. The BMW's interior wasn't that great, the dash was boring and flat, and it had a lot of hard plastics. The seats were good, and very adjustable, but I still think the stock seats in my Mustang were more comfortable for me, while still being supportive.

I didn't do any crazy track driving, but I did take them down a road with a nice S curve that I took at fairly high speed, and again, I'd say it was about even in driving feel, with the Mustang being a little more fun because of the exhaust note. I drove the BMW for about 20-30 minutes, on the freeway, city streets, and a little back road, and experimented with some of the modes, so it was by no means a thorough test. It felt to me like the transmission and engine needed to be in the right modes or starting was kind of clunky. It was like I would push in a little on the gas pedal and nothing would happen, then push it a little more and it would jump. Sink the pedal down and it would get up and go, but it was more difficult to modulate a smoother start. The Mustang is just very linear.

Anyway, not quite the same comparison, but that's my very uneducated take on the two cars after a brief test.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah, I mean, sure the BMW has a little better F&F, some of the materials are better (though like @Arthonon said, the interior design itself is kind of 'meh'). The car is quick with the DCT for sure, and that's some pretty stout MPH.

All that being said, holy shit, it's twice as much. I ran into the same thing when I briefly considered an M4 Cab, literally twice as much, and like the reviewers pointed out, some things are just better with the Mustang vs. a $80K "4 series"

lazgun

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pat
Vehicle(s)
2008 bullitt
Wow, that mustang smoked the m4 with competition package, but those 0-60 numberse were sad. Glad to see I can still get around faster in my 2008 bulleit then these new cars

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Anyone remember the old S197 track pack gt vs m3 back in the day? M3 won on the road coarse by a really small margin. Today a PP2 spanks an m4 around a track. I wish the car came with the Bullitt level engine goodies, coolers, short throw shifter with no lift shifting without torque management. It would be perfect.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
One of two things. A-where ever they did their drag racing had DA out the wazoo. Or.
B-somebody was not skilled at launching a manual at the drag strip. Im going with B. That mustang should have been a good half second faster.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Crazy thing this they will be worth the same amount in a few years lol

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Definitely the absolute amount of depreciation will be greater on the more expensive car, but I don't think there are many older special BMW M cars that have depreciated down to the same value as a Mustang from the same year.

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
Nope unfortunately thats not true. For some reason i m guessing it has to do with the number of potential cars available on the market and some other factors, the mustang depreciates more, even more compared to a camaro. Remember that people are proud of the mustang sales, well that actually hurts the buyers when they decide to get rid of their cars. There will be so many out there and the huge stock combined with the new cars waiting in the dealer lots will bring the prices way down.

New gen and refresh first year buyers take the biggest hit. For example a fully loaded 44 grand car with low miles will be worth less than 30 grand in a year. Its a huge hit. My advice is, drive and enjoy the hack out it.

Last edited:

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Nope unfortunately thats not true. For some reason i m guessing it has to do with the number of potential cars available on the market and some other factors, the mustang depreciates more, even more compared to a camaro. Remember that people are proud of the mustang sales, well that actually hurts the buyers when they decide to get rid of their cars. There will be so many out there and the huge stock combined with the new cars waiting in the dealer lots will bring the prices way down.

New gen and refresh first year buyers take the biggest hit. For example a fully loaded 44 grand car with low miles will be worth less than 30 grand in a year. Its a huge hit. My advice is, drive and enjoy the hack out it.

Thread Context == M4 CP vs. GT PP2, so I'm assuming he was talking about those two cars (i.e., depreciation)

Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
Thread Context == M4 CP vs. GT PP2, so I'm assuming he was talking about those two cars (i.e., depreciation)
I know. When the time comes, the BMW owner will have the luxury of trading in his 50,000 miles used M4 CP for a brand new GT PP2 if he wants to.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Oh lol I was making a joke about depreciation in general on the German cars. So many cars drop like a brick because once it is out of warranty the fun begins.

lazgun

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pat
Vehicle(s)
2008 bullitt
Uhhhhhh, this girl though the m4 sounded better? LOL get her out the there

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

The number of cars sold does not lead to a direct correlation of depreciation, else Toyota and Honda small cars would be worthless in 5 years.

As for the mustang VS camaro, according to edmunds the Camaro takes ENORMOUS first year depreciation hits compared to the mustang.

2017 Mustang GT Premium depreciation:
Year one: $7489.
Five year total: $17348
https://www.edmunds.com/ford/mustang/2017/st-401640309/cost-to-own/

2017 Camaro 2SS Depreciation:
Year one: $13,215 (holy balls!)
Five year total: $22,155.
https://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/camaro/2017/st-401642265/cost-to-own/

So you see, all of that "supercar" exclusivity of the camaro with lesser sales does not correlate to retained value.
Sponsored