Sponsored

What tire pressure are you running?

GasPedal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium | Race Red
I'm adjusting my tire pressure more than I'd like. I have the 20inch premium wheels with 265 Continental High Performance ExtremeContact All Season tires and I'm not sure if I should keep it at the factory 35psi per tire or more/less. Also, with it being summer and some days hotter than others I'm concerned that 35 psi at 70 degrees will be bad when its cold at 37 psi on a 90 degree day.
Sponsored

Apex Wheels

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Tire pressures are just something you will have to experiment with based on what kind of feedback and performance you are looking for. 34-35 psi cold is a good baseline. Do you want more straight line acceleration? Drop the rears 1-2 psi and see how it feels. Looking for more steering response? Add 1-2 psi at all 4 corners.

There will not be a noticeable change in operating temps/pressure while on the street between 70* and 90* ambients to make a difference with all season tires.

You say you're adjusting the pressure more (more often?) than you'd like...what is your reasoning for tinkering with it? What are you after?

- Cory

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Thought about using nitrogen?

iBookmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
Door sticker says 32 psi on my new 2018 Ecoboost and that’s where I keep it. Sometimes between 32 & 31 as the Pirelli P Zero Nero tires are rough riding enough.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I tend to run mine cold according to the door jamb and then look at the wear approaching the edge of the tread that it was close to that edge, cold psi which was typically for me about 31psi which hot brought me to 34.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Thought about using nitrogen?
That whole nitrogen thing is a big gimmick. Don't pay extra for nitrogen. And yes, you can put regular air in your tires if they were originally filled with nitrogen. You ask how? Because our atmosphere is made up of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and a few other gases.

As far as psi in my tires, I usually run somewhere around 32 psi cold which goes up to 35-36 psi when warm. In my opinion, this is the sweet spot so your tires don't wear prematurely and you still have plenty of grip.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I run 40psi for better gas mileage and steering response on the atreet, and Target 36psi hot on track.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I have 30 cold psi in my Firehawks right now. Might bump it up a couple.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
That whole nitrogen thing is a big gimmick. Don't pay extra for nitrogen. And yes, you can put regular air in your tires if they were originally filled with nitrogen. You ask how? Because our atmosphere is made up of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and a few other gases.

As far as psi in my tires, I usually run somewhere around 32 psi cold which goes up to 35-36 psi when warm. In my opinion, this is the sweet spot so your tires don't wear prematurely and you still have plenty of grip.
Where I live nitrogen is free.
If you feel nitrogen is a gimmick that's fine. But it's not a gimmick

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Did you miss my second sentence? If nitrogen is free, by all means use it. But it's definitely a gimmick if it costs anything at all... My first and second sentences are whats called conditional sentences. For example, if the weather is rainy outside, I'll just stay inside. The reason or condition of me staying inside is because of the rain. Apply the same logic to those sentences and you'll understand my statement. Nitrogen is a gimmick because it isn't free where I live. Nitrogen has 2 inherent benefits over regular 'ole air. The first is tire pressure is more stable. nitrogen doesn't migrate through rubber like air does. The second is nitrogen is more temperature stable. Air allows moisture into the tire and this can cause rapid temperature fluctuations when pushing the car aka race track. Nitrogen is dry and has a linear temperature change. This benefit is only noticeable when racing. These benefits are great for someone who races their car at a track, but the average person won't see much of a difference at all.

Don't pay extra for nitrogen

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Did you miss my second sentence? If nitrogen is free, by all means use it. But it's definitely a gimmick if it costs anything at all... My first and second sentences are whats called conditional sentences. For example, if the weather is rainy outside, I'll just stay inside. The reason or condition of me staying inside is because of the rain. Apply the same logic to those sentences and you'll understand my statement. Nitrogen is a gimmick because it isn't free where I live. Nitrogen has 2 inherent benefits over regular 'ole air. The first is tire pressure is more stable. nitrogen doesn't migrate through rubber like air does. The second is nitrogen is more temperature stable. Air allows moisture into the tire and this can cause rapid temperature fluctuations when pushing the car aka race track. Nitrogen is dry and has a linear temperature change. This benefit is only noticeable when racing. These benefits are great for someone who races their car at a track, but the average person won't see much of a difference at all.

I agree...

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

My reading skills are Good & I did not miss your second sentence but you definitely missed the OP's concern.
Even if you have to pay a few bucks nitrogen it is a great solution. Just because you don't agree with the benefits ...that you yourself did a reasonable job outlining ....does not negate the cost benefit....or are you offering to assist in the OP's next set of tires that wore out prematurely due to inflation issues?
If you think nitrogen is only for the track you can just keep thinking that ..... I'm not here to educate or offer assistance to you.....you already know it all.

Now I did I misss you offering a viable soulution to the OP and his MA temp swings?

Your contribution is appreciated by all I'm sure.

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
32 PSI cold on my car