OP
OP
StealthStang

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)
As someone who builds cars for a living, I can not like this post enough.

If I had a dollar for everyone who came through with an EcoBoost and said, "I don't know what happened...it just blew" only for us to find out it had an EXTREMELY lean tune with way too much overboost, I would be a rich man.
But how many were factory tunes ? (I.E Ford Performance or Roush)
Sponsored

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
But how many were factory tunes ? (I.E Ford Performance or Roush)
Very, very few.

The ones that were on those tunes we refer to the dealer as Ford is supposed to warranty those repairs. I don't know how the process works or what percentage they are actually repairing for free, but my understanding is that's supposed to be the way it works.

We get mostly custom dyno tunes from third parties. Most want to blame the car for not holding up, but 9 times out of 10 the extreme tune is the problem. I know everyone wants the most bang for the buck, but you really can push it too hard.

OP
OP
StealthStang

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The last few days have been a pretty big roller-coaster of events.
So trade in wise, i cant get any good price on my car cause (as expected) the local market is flooded with them now. The drop in value basically put the Porsche out of my budget by a fair bit. The Lexus RC350F and the Nissan 370z were my only real options price wise, but honestly, performance wise, they kinda feel like side steps.

Then recently I get an email from Ford performance (a guy there knows about the problems I had with my dealership), and they are willing to do a Roush Conversion for me for a very good price, which they say will take my car to over 350HP (Roush tune, Roush Axle Back exhaust and Intake system) and still retain factory service plan and warranty as well as warranty on all the new parts.

No point discussing the price, cause of the currency differences, but basically its very affordable, like 3x cheaper than the cost of doing a trade in for the above cars or trading for a GT.

It seems really good on paper, 350HP is no joke to me, and theres a few small cosmetic changes as well. Id like to give it a shot since its factory approved, it might make me like the car again.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
The last few days have been a pretty big roller-coaster of events.
So trade in wise, i cant get any good price on my car cause (as expected) the local market is flooded with them now. The drop in value basically put the Porsche out of my budget by a fair bit. The Lexus RC350F and the Nissan 370z were my only real options price wise, but honestly, performance wise, they kinda feel like side steps.

Then recently I get an email from Ford performance (a guy there knows about the problems I had with my dealership), and they are willing to do a Roush Conversion for me for a very good price, which they say will take my car to over 350HP (Roush tune, Roush Axle Back exhaust and Intake system) and still retain factory service plan and warranty as well as warranty on all the new parts.

No point discussing the price, cause of the currency differences, but basically its very affordable, like 3x cheaper than the cost of doing a trade in for the above cars or trading for a GT.

It seems really good on paper, 350HP is no joke to me, and theres a few small cosmetic changes as well. Id like to give it a shot since its factory approved, it might make me like the car again.
All I can say is, make sure it's worth it to you. If you aren't happy with the car, I'd hate for you to put more money into it.

On the other hand, if you're pretty happy with it and you think the extra power may make it to where you will keep it and drive it with a smile on your face, why not go for it if it is affordable?

OP
OP
StealthStang

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All I can say is, make sure it's worth it to you. If you aren't happy with the car, I'd hate for you to put more money into it.

On the other hand, if you're pretty happy with it and you think the extra power may make it to where you will keep it and drive it with a smile on your face, why not go for it if it is affordable?
The resale of the car is really bad right now unfortunately, due to them dumping all the remaining pre facelifts into the market. If i was like half a year earlier i would have been much better off. Thats my luck i suppose.

Anyway, the way i see it is the amount of money needed for this Roush conversion wouldnt really put much of a dent off the price if i got a new car. Cars are so expensive here, and even more so for performance cars, so its not like id be like "ah damn if only i put this towards a new car", it wouldnt make any worthwhile difference. So if i still have to eventually trade, it wouldnt have helped me buy that Porsche, its way out of reach at the moment.

I do like the car, the biggest reason for me wanting to sell was fords customer service and build quality. If i get this conversion done and maybe now service the car elsewhere, maybe thats some of the problems solved.

Sponsored

nickko11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
In retrospect, a Mustang outside of the USA isnt the best idea, because yes traditionally Ford isnt a premium brand.

However if you followed anything about the RHD Mustangs, Ford has marketed the GT as a rival against the Porsche 911 and the Ecoboost as a rival against the Cayman/Boxster (this is why our cars are all fully loaded Performance Premium models, and Roush and Shelby conversion are also done locally due to the high demand for these cars). They only cost slightly less than their Porsche competitors at launch, and I bought a launch car which i waited 6 months for. I was assured that this car would be well supported and would not suffer quality issues compared to other cars in its price range. Now yes, thats sales talk but you'd expect they back it up to some extent.
The Mustang may be seen by US citizens as a normal mid level performance car, but in RHD regions its considered an exotic and since no part of it has local production or assembly its subject to high taxes.
To put things into perspective look at these sales charts:
https://www.wheels24.co.za/News/SA_...e-to-sell-the-most-sports-cars-in-sa-20170803
I probably paid more for my Ecoboost than you did your GT.

My car isnt the only one suffering these problems, the workshops are full of Mustangs here with various niggly problems. Its extremely annoying to have your car taken away from you for weeks at a time.

Its a shame because I took a lot risk buying this car, since on paper its not really a rival to a porsche...realistically its not even a rival to a C class coupe or BMW 4 series. Though I liked it enough to give Ford a chance, and buyers like me have made the car a success against all odds...yet we get treated like second class citizens. Its not something id expect youd relate to, but I hope you at least can understand.

Anyway, i have my car back now. It was delivered in person by the manager of the dealership after 35 days of them having it for the timing chain cover leak. Ive been "assured" that it wont trouble me again...but i have serious doubts still.
Im still going to take it to Lexus and Porsche to see if i can get a reasonable trade against it, ive ruled the Nissan 370z out due to rumors of a 400z coming out to fight Toyota's new Supra. Though it seems the value of my Ecoboost is dropping due to the facelift models being planned to released here in end of 2018 or early 2019...so i might be stuck with it for a while.

Hmm, here in Australia, there seems to be minimal issues, if any, with the Mustang. i have a 2017 GT with no issues. my friend has 2015 GT with no issues.
Your oil leak could be from abuse perhaps?

nickko11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
You rant on the OP and make odd comments about women... then have the nerve to ask the OPs age? Wow.... Just wow.....

OP handled you well though...
Are you a feminist? did you get offended and triggered darling over the women comment? toughen up mate! Too many little daffodils of men running around.

DAZZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RHD Mustang GT S550 PP Platinum White
Just stumbled on this thread.. I only have to laugh. Surely there are no feminists on a mustang forum?

I feel for the South African's lining up a mustang with a Porsche. I still do not understand why American's think a Lexus is a nice car. Its a bloody Toyota with a different badge. In Japan they are Toyota's. I would fix the mustang and never sell the thing. This will save you heaps over buying new cars. Its just a pity its the sewing machine engine and not the real engine.

After owning many desirable BMW's with M badges I still think the GT is the most fun. Once you fix the issues inside and out - you have a car that is timeless with plenty of character. I have never owned a car that gets so many looks everyday. I could buy three mustangs for the price of a M4. Australia like South Africa and the UK have today a Mustang success story. Best selling sports car. In Australia we also have resale issues due to Ford flooding the market. Ford Australia are just plain stupid, haven't got a clue how to deal with the Mustangs success. Sounds like its the same in South Africa. Whats the deal with all the stock sitting on the yards? sale prices going south of $15K.

I am not surprised that Ford have decided to cut their range of cars in the future. It speaks of what a shit company they are, that they had to give up trying to compete. yet the Mustang and their trucks albeit by no means perfect offer loads of character not found in many other car companies which are simply producing cars today that all look and drive the same - characterless and certainly not timeless.

Personally, I think ford should have only made one mustang and that's the V8 with Shelby, Roush Options upwards. Such an iconic brand of a car that should only have a V8. The mere thought of a hybrid in the future is just sad.

Final comment - I would never have dreamed of pulling my previous European cars apart at any time new or old, however these cars are so easy to take apart. I say to my misses ever since I purchased the car and ripped out the interior from new. These cars are built like shit and made to be ripped apart - its part of the experience of owning one and one of the reasons I am still having fun after 1 year of ownership....now let me go back to dreaming up my next mod.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Just stumbled on this thread.. I only have to laugh. Surely there are no feminists on a mustang forum?

I feel for the South African's lining up a mustang with a Porsche. I still do not understand why American's think a Lexus is a nice car. Its a bloody Toyota with a different badge. In Japan they are Toyota's. I would fix the mustang and never sell the thing. This will save you heaps over buying new cars. Its just a pity its the sewing machine engine and not the real engine.

After owning many desirable BMW's with M badges I still think the GT is the most fun. Once you fix the issues inside and out - you have a car that is timeless with plenty of character. I have never owned a car that gets so many looks everyday. I could buy three mustangs for the price of a M4. Australia like South Africa and the UK have today a Mustang success story. Best selling sports car. In Australia we also have resale issues due to Ford flooding the market. Ford Australia are just plain stupid, haven't got a clue how to deal with the Mustangs success. Sounds like its the same in South Africa. Whats the deal with all the stock sitting on the yards? sale prices going south of $15K.

I am not surprised that Ford have decided to cut their range of cars in the future. It speaks of what a shit company they are, that they had to give up trying to compete. yet the Mustang and their trucks albeit by no means perfect offer loads of character not found in many other car companies which are simply producing cars today that all look and drive the same - characterless and certainly not timeless.

Personally, I think ford should have only made one mustang and that's the V8 with Shelby, Roush Options upwards. Such an iconic brand of a car that should only have a V8. The mere thought of a hybrid in the future is just sad.

Final comment - I would never have dreamed of pulling my previous European cars apart at any time new or old, however these cars are so easy to take apart. I say to my misses ever since I purchased the car and ripped out the interior from new. These cars are built like shit and made to be ripped apart - its part of the experience of owning one and one of the reasons I am still having fun after 1 year of ownership....now let me go back to dreaming up my next mod.
Sewing machine engine? Do you feel the need to insult others to make yourself feel like a man? Why are you so insecure about your manhood that you feel the need to insult others for there engine choices? The Ecoboost engines are found in the best cars and trucks Ford has to offer so take your elitist V8 attitude out back and have a squat kid.

Sponsored

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS

You should have really just "stumbled on out" of this thread before spewing the absolute, 100%, pure Grade-A BS that you just did. Wow. Where to even start in on this disaster of a post?

1. Why is a Lexus a nice car? Are you serious? For starters, they are consistently the most reliable car judging by whatever survey you want to look at. They are built very, very well. My 11-year-old, 100k+ LS460 is sturdier and better built than my brand new Mustang. Saying "It's just a Toyota" just shows how little you know about the brand and that you should be the LAST person commenting about it.

2. I'm going to throw up the BS flag on you "having owned many desirable M-cars", as the Mustang is in a different category all-together than those. One is a sports car, one is a muscle car. Comparing them is like comparing fish to beef.

3. So Ford is a "shit company", but yet you claim they have made the most beautiful car you've ever owned and you're favorite out of everything you have owned? Seems legit.

4. Suggesting Ford should have made only a V8 Mustang shows how little you know about their brand, or Mustangs, in general. Without the smaller engine Mustangs, there would be no V8's. It was that way with the V6's in the past, and it's the same with the EcoBoosts now. Most owners don't want to spend big money for a thirsty V8. They just like the look of the Mustang and maybe the heritage. To cut out that section of the market would be brand suicide. Clearly you have never run a company and had to actually put strategic thought into these kinds of decisions.

I'm staggered that a post this poor is being made by someone who is "supposedly" an "enthusiast". Clearly you do not grasp how the big picture of the automotive industry works.

Sewing machine engine? Do you feel the need to insult others to make yourself feel like a man? Why are you so insecure about your manhood that you feel the need to insult others for there engine choices? The Ecoboost engines are found in the best cars and trucks Ford has to offer so take your elitist V8 attitude out back and have a squat kid.
+1

No reason to be bashing anyone for engine choice, color choice, or any choice for that matter. We all drive Mustangs and are fortunate to do so. We should all be happy with what we have as many people are not in a position to drive what we do and enjoy what the Mustang offers.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
You rant on the OP and make odd comments about women... then have the nerve to ask the OPs age? Wow.... Just wow.....

OP handled you well though...
Rant?? LOOOL!!! If you're looking for a politically correct safe-space, I can't help you. Yes, I asked the OP's age. With age comes more critical thinking, and it's frustrating to try and discuss a topic when one person is running on a bit too much emotion. Like............wait for it............women. Of course the OP has real reason to be frustrated right now.

But the frustration lies largely (not all, but majority) with the purchase decision. One thing I've learned from this thread is that crap-quality Ford Mustangs are sold at a premium prices overseas. That is truly a frustrating situation the OP is in, and it really shouldn't be. Whatever tarrifs/import fees/transpo costs for getting Mustangs to the OP's locale means that he shouldn't have bought one unless he is swimming in disposable income. It just doesn't make any financial sense to do that, unless you don't have to worry about being financially sensible.

Now the smartest thing for the OP to do is keep the car. And I sincerely hope that his continuing ownership experience goes better from here on out.

And FYI, these types of forums are filled to the brim with emotional over-reactions, like it's going out of style. From people expecting a Mustang to be just like a $90K competitor, to those that freak out because something has broken that is (usually) their fault. Spend more time here, and you will see the truth in this.

DAZZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RHD Mustang GT S550 PP Platinum White
You should have really just "stumbled on out" of this thread before spewing the absolute, 100%, pure Grade-A BS that you just did. Wow. Where to even start in on this disaster of a post?

1. Why is a Lexus a nice car? Are you serious? For starters, they are consistently the most reliable car judging by whatever survey you want to look at. They are built very, very well. My 11-year-old, 100k+ LS460 is sturdier and better built than my brand new Mustang. Saying "It's just a Toyota" just shows how little you know about the brand and that you should be the LAST person commenting about it.

2. I'm going to throw up the BS flag on you "having owned many desirable M-cars", as the Mustang is in a different category all-together than those. One is a sports car, one is a muscle car. Comparing them is like comparing fish to beef.

3. So Ford is a "shit company", but yet you claim they have made the most beautiful car you've ever owned and you're favorite out of everything you have owned? Seems legit.

4. Suggesting Ford should have made only a V8 Mustang shows how little you know about their brand, or Mustangs, in general. Without the smaller engine Mustangs, there would be no V8's. It was that way with the V6's in the past, and it's the same with the EcoBoosts now. Most owners don't want to spend big money for a thirsty V8. They just like the look of the Mustang and maybe the heritage. To cut out that section of the market would be brand suicide. Clearly you have never run a company and had to actually put strategic thought into these kinds of decisions.

I'm staggered that a post this poor is being made by someone who is "supposedly" an "enthusiast". Clearly you do not grasp how the big picture of the automotive industry works.

+1

No reason to be bashing anyone for engine choice, color choice, or any choice for that matter. We all drive Mustangs and are fortunate to do so. We should all be happy with what we have as many people are not in a position to drive what we do and enjoy what the Mustang offers.
Ok, too many emotions here if we were all having a beer and chewing the fat, maybe it would come out differently. I regret the post, you have all bashed me enough (rightfully so) I am an enthusiast and do believe the 2.3T is an amazing engine. I recognize its used in many vehicles.

I guess my post rang away with me. Please accept my deepest apologies and move on from here. I love having this forum and contributing to it.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Rant?? LOOOL!!! If you're looking for a politically correct safe-space, I can't help you. Yes, I asked the OP's age. With age comes more critical thinking, and it's frustrating to try and discuss a topic when one person is running on a bit too much emotion. Like............wait for it............women. Of course the OP has real reason to be frustrated right now.

But the frustration lies largely (not all, but majority) with the purchase decision. One thing I've learned from this thread is that crap-quality Ford Mustangs are sold at a premium prices overseas. That is truly a frustrating situation the OP is in, and it really shouldn't be. Whatever tarrifs/import fees/transpo costs for getting Mustangs to the OP's locale means that he shouldn't have bought one unless he is swimming in disposable income. It just doesn't make any financial sense to do that, unless you don't have to worry about being financially sensible.

Now the smartest thing for the OP to do is keep the car. And I sincerely hope that his continuing ownership experience goes better from here on out.

And FYI, these types of forums are filled to the brim with emotional over-reactions, like it's going out of style. From people expecting a Mustang to be just like a $90K competitor, to those that freak out because something has broken that is (usually) their fault. Spend more time here, and you will see the truth in this.
At least he didn't go full pedo on you and started talking about stalking high school girls when I asked another forum member to back up his claims on how new GTs being unreliable, and I didn't even ask about his age.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
.....on you "having owned many desirable M-cars", as the Mustang is in a different category all-together than those. One is a sports car, one is a muscle car........
Mustangs are not now, nor have they ever been, "Muscle Cars". Modern (since 2011) M4/M3s and Mustangs are extremely similar cars, and are often compared to one another.

You're so ignorant, why don't you just shut up and read here? You need to start with getting yourself educated on vehicles.
Sponsored