Sponsored

If your running Methanol, what are your settings?

OP
OP

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium
Speaking of the solenoid, the best place for it (if feasible) is closest to the nozzle. Engine vacuum can suck the fluid out through the nozzle to the point of the check valve/solenoid so if they are installed far back, it'll increase the WMI spray lag as the fluid fills up the emptied out tube first.

Looking forward to your results as I'm hoping that using both the fuel pump pressure and boost will be more accurate than using boost alone. Do you have a data logging device that can log ignition corrections, OAR, boost, fuel pressure, and STFT?
I have the solenoid less then 1 foot from the nozzle. It had to be mounted to something so that's the closest I could get it.

I do - the Livewire TS can monitor and log. This weekend, we found a nice back road. Strait, smooth and no traffic. I'll make a few passes one of these nights - 1 without and 1 with methanol on.

What program would I use - Windows or Mac - that can display the data afterwords ?
Sponsored

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I have the solenoid less then 1 foot from the nozzle. It had to be mounted to something so that's the closest I could get it.

I do - the Livewire TS can monitor and log. This weekend, we found a nice back road. Strait, smooth and no traffic. I'll make a few passes one of these nights - 1 without and 1 with methanol on.

What program would I use - Windows or Mac - that can display the data afterwords ?
I use Cobb AccessPort, which saves it's log in .csv format so it can be opened with a common spreadsheet (or even text editor) program on both platforms. Any idea what format Livewire TS uses? Another thing to do is to check your spark plug gaps. I had a mild misfire at high RPM that I didn't notice until I had my car on a dyno and the dyno operator pointed out on the dyno graph. I picked up almost 10 WHP by just regapping the plugs as WMI can slightly increase the change of spark blowout.

OP
OP

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
Went out to get smokes last night from the indian reservation - lots of dead, flat, empty roads.

(all 0-60 tests, all #3 nozzle / 175ML / min)
(testing with livewire) meth on, 8psi start, 25psi end, track mode, manual shift - 6.1 seconds - noticed some wheel spin, ok.
(testing with livewire) meth on, 8psi start, 25psi end, sport, manual shift + - 6.0 seconds
something isn't right here
(testing with built in track app) - 4psi start, 25psi end, sport +, manual shift - 6.0 seconds
(testing with built in track app) - 4psi start, 25psi end, sport +, automatic shift - 5.9 seconds

Had to look it up - stock convertible ecoboost should do 6.1 second 0-60mph

So either all the test apps are wrong or i'm seeing 0 performance gain from anything. intake, nor tune from steeda, nor huge intercooler, nor exhaust, nor meth

I know the car feels faster; even last summer when it was just the intake and tune - it was a night and day difference (I just never tested anything). I get tire spin with the meth on - and I never got tire spin on 20 inch x 11 wide before (NT05) - so there is a gain somewhere, I'm just not seeing it in a test?

It was relatively cool out - 70F ambient temp, 75-85F at the intake sensor.

I requested new tunes from steeda last night before going to bed - noting everything I've changed and will change this week (mbrp catted down pipe) - 1 with meth, 1 without.

we'll see this weekend maybe.

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Went out to get smokes last night from the indian reservation - lots of dead, flat, empty roads.

(testing with livewire) meth on, 8psi start, 25psi end, track mode, manual shift - 6.1 seconds - noticed some wheel spin, ok.
(testing with livewire) meth on, 8psi start, 25psi end, sport, manual shift + - 6.0 seconds
(testing with built in track app) - 4psi start, 25psi end, sport +, manual shift - 6.0 seconds
(testing with built in track app) - 4psi start, 25psi end, sport +, automatic shift - 5.9 seconds

So either all the test apps are wrong or i'm seeing 0 performance gain from anything. intake, nor tune from steeda, nor huge intercooler, nor exhaust, nor meth

I know the car feels faster; even last summer when it was just the intake and tune - it was a night and day difference (I just never tested anything). I get tire spin with the meth on - and I never got tire spin on 20 inch x 11 wide before (NT05) - so there is a gain somewhere, I'm just not seeing it in a test?

I requested new tunes from steeda last night before going to bed - noting everything I've changed and will change this week (mbrp catted down pipe) - 1 with meth, 1 without.

If you are seeing no gains in performance 0-60 you should note that it would depend on what your car is making, in particular how much torque as that is what gets you off the line faster, not hp. If you look at it like what are the requirements to get to 60MPH with a car with x tall wheels, and y weight it may be that you are not making enough extra power to get over the rated requirements to go faster than 6.1 sec. In other words, you may need more power than you have added lets be conservative and say you need like say 25-35 more torque to breach the 6 second time, but you are only getting say 25+ more as is so you are still in the range needed for a 6 second pass.

I got the same reaction from readers when I ran the big turbo kit on my EBM, and did a 4.9 second 0-60 and they all scoffed and said why was it not more like 4.7-8 seconds, well there was wheel spin involved for one thing and it was cold so the tires where hard. It was not lack of power. However with good tires it was hard to beat the 4.9 second pass even at 390ish to the wheels. If I had been able to run 26-29PSI and gain another 30-45HP I would have been able to break that number on a solid sticky tire pass.

Your average gains with methanol on a 49/51 mix like boost juice is limited to the nozzle you are running, and even then you will see around a 20%- increase in real world tuning. 30% with a larger nozzle, and more timing. On the big turbo kit I was running a 500cc nozzle. On the small stock turbo I am running the 250cc nozzle. I think I need to run something in the middle on the stock unit. I am also spraying 8" down from the TB in the Cold side pipe.

So make sure you know what your gains are, run the estimated HP and estimated torque monitors on your APs (or other tuner device that has gauges) run no methanol then do a meth run and you can get a fairly accurate account of the estimated gains (Remember it does not matter if the numbers are spot on, what does matter is what the difference is. In my car I see about a 60HP and 35TQ (TQ is limited to 400 in the tune) difference on the small jet at around 25PSI on my Tune+ tune and that is with a problem with my controller so the spray is not optimal but its still a gain. The difference is 325HP to 380. Find out what your metrics are and see if you can at least have an idea what your gains are and you may find you have not gotten over the bottleneck yet to break those numbers. You just cannot assume adding 10 or 20 more HP will actually make you faster due to physics, its like those super cars trying to break 200MPH it takes exponentially more power to go faster, its not linear.

I would also look at your suspension if you have alot of squatting off the line, that shift in weight will hold your numbers back.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP

If you got the datalogger working, see if the WMI keeps your charge temp in check. You should also see a negative number for STFT as the ECU is subtracting fuel compensate for meth. I've seen my STFT go low as -13 while I had a single 550cc nozzle setup. Yours may be different due to having a different WMI kit and tune. And without a new tune, you'll probably won't see a big gain over your pre-WMI tune unless you were suffering from negative ignition advance corrections due to bad gas or overly aggressive tune.

Sponsored

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I would also look at your suspension if you have alot of squatting off the line, that shift in weight will hold your numbers back.
+1 and 20" tires aren't best for straight line acceleration but at least they are not crappy OEM tires. Do you have anti-wheel hop solution, such as the cradle lockout, to maximize your traction?

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I... didn't know that. I thought with the water dilution, it was pretty safe.

Now that I have the upgraded solenoid - maybe it's best to just trunk mount it and keep it away from passengers... The holes in the interior... no one ever sits back there and a little black silicon will fix it, lol...
Even with water dilution you would not want it in your eyes or mouth. It can cause blindness very easily. On your skin isnt the end of the world as long as your not bathing in it. It could be an issue if you're in an accident. Also I would think you smell some fumes from it?

0-60 isnt the best test, especially if you didnt 0-60 test when you were stock. The number you looked up is going to be in perfect conditions and is usually hard to replicate on the street. 0-60 also relies heavily on tires and less on hp. Even 0-100 would be more reliable. Overall though your best bet is to look at datalogs. Do a log of a 3rd gear pull without meth, then do a log with meth. Compare IAT and timing, you can estimate how much HP you've gained according to how much more timing is added. I'm not sure if it's the same but each degree of timing is worth about 20whp on a boosted coyote.

OP
OP

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
Alright

Steeda won't do the tune for Methanol over email - no reason given - so that's out. Snow thinks it's because there will be a lot of going back and forth to get it right and they don't want to bother. Understandable, but still a PITA.

Went to change the nozzle last night to #5 - checked the reservoir and it didn't go down at all. 2 hours later, realized the solenoid upgrade was wired wrong by realizing the pump power and ground were backwards - so the anti siphon solenoid was getting ground on 1 wire, and ground on the other - fixed that. One of those - how did I make this mistake and thank god the pump didn't die, lol...

I know the 0-60 test isn't the best determinator for performance but it's all I can do right now. I'll pull a log when I get a windows pc setup again (I use macs).

Went out and did a few 0-60 tests last night with no difference. We're not experiencing wheel hop. The car lunges back of course when it's floored, but I don't think I'm loosing to much power to traction or suspension. But - some suspension mods are on my list for the spring so - that's that.

Back to #5 nozzle being in + anti siphon solenoid and everything is good - no stalling out, no using to much meth - better.

So Steeda won't do the tune; Snow only knows people local to them and I'm not driving out to Colorado from NY for a tune - who, online, would be good for / willing to do a methanol tune for an ecoboost?

On the other side - https://www.sctflash.com/Products/unfiltered-product/sct/SCTGTX40460S/gtx-tuner

It says built-in it can adjust the timing which is basically what we're after, right? increase the timing = more fuel + meth = more power?

I'd rather not drop another $600 on a tuner (already have the livewire ts, which was $600) but if it allows me to get what I need done on my own - trying different nozzles and setups - might be worth it.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
The way the tune works is by the amount of torque requested (I don't have access to my datalog files now so don't know the exact name for it). While it's possible to generate more torque than requested, it's not by much and ECU will reduce power to prevent exceeding the requested limit by a large margin. That's why if you swap out the WGA with something with higher spring rate (or up the boost with a standalone boost controller), you end up with an overboost CEL rather than more boost and more power like the older MAF based turbo cars.

This point, you may benefit from cooling the charge temps to ensure that you get the maximum amount of torque requested by your current tune (especially on a hot day), but don't expect to see much gains beyond that unless you're current running bad gas. Since you are running the pre-WMI tune and don't have access to datalogging right now, perhaps it'll be safer to run small nozzles for cooling purposes only.

TUNE+ does remote tuning for WMI but you'll have to switch to AccessPort. Its software works exactly the same way for PCs and Macs (know this from a first-hand experience). If you don't want to go that route, is there anyone local who can do dyno tunes?

OP
OP

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
TUNE+ does remote tuning for WMI but you'll have to switch to AccessPort. Its software works exactly the same way for PCs and Macs (know this from a first-hand experience). If you don't want to go that route, is there anyone local who can do dyno tunes?
A forum member message me directly and recommended Unleashed Tuning. Ordered and am working with Torrie.

2 for $150 - 1 with WMI and 1 without just in case.

If this doesn't make a difference, um.... Gonna sell it and get a GT lol lol lol... (joking)

Sponsored
OP
OP

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
Torrie at Unleashed Tuning did a great job Friday.

I had emailed him asking about tuning for meth Friday morning at what, 6:30am ? He answered right away. I ordered the 2 tunes as soon as I got home around 3pm and I had the new tune files around 5-5:30pm. Great guy to work with; answered promptly and a reasonable price IMO.

What a difference a good tune makes. Still #5 nozzle; starting the spray at 8psi and ending at 25psi. Huge huge difference. 0-60 time is now 5.3 seconds.

There's a Camaro in our apartment complex - we messaged him to setup a time to meet at a track sometime soon for a little fun. Come to find out, there's a shop with a Dyno 5 minutes from us. Gonna schedule an appointment and get some real numbers soon.

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
I'm sure you know these 2 things already, but I felt it was worth posting:.

1) Keep track of the 'which-tune-file-is-installed' in relation to 'is-my-WMI-system-enabled'. Running a tune that is expecting the availability of W/M when it is not actually available is not a good idea. That's not a poke in the eye - but it is possible to lose track of which combo you're running if you occasionally swap one or both during experimentation sessions.

2) You may want to contemplate changing to a winter tune since you live in a region where the temp drops significantly in the winter!
Sponsored