Not open for further replies.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
A drag radial or bias ply slick. Most street tires will hop on a prepped surface regardless of what parts you throw at the IRS.

You're being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative about things that you take as gospel from general consumer reviews on general consumer tire sites that often have limited applicability to the topic being discussed or related topics (performance in a competitive environment). Find me someone tracking an Ohtsu tire. I'll wait.

The Pirelli Pzero is (at this time) an old tire design and compound that is half-decent on a road course but fairly mediocre as a street summer tire due to its operating temp range and construction. They also wear quite poorly compared with newer competitors that outperform them in every way (PSS/PS4S or Conti ECS, for instance).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Not with respect to drag racing, which is where OP needs fall.

You found Formula 1, Rally & Racing (there are 6 Road Racing activities listed under that), Superbike, and Motocross. Did you find even a single mention of drag racing like I asked you to find?

If the wheel hop is caused by bad tire choice just tell me which one to use and at what pressure on a N/A S550 to stop the hop with BMR parts, pretty simple.
If I was a drag racer instead of a corner-carver I might have a better answer for you than simply 'drag radials' or 'drag slicks' and tell you to experiment with inflation and maybe wheel widths until you found something that worked without letting the car get too woozy at the big end.

Norm

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Did you find even a single mention of drag racing like I asked you to find?
Many her claim the PS4 hooks better at the strip the DR's.. yet Michelin doesn't mention anywhere about those tires for drag racing.. So there's one example.
P Zero are standard equipment on some of the fastest cars on the planet. There reputation as being a world class tire is well earned.

Those who say Independent suspensions are for FWD cars.. again, the fastest cars in the world all run IRS.
Shelden Louis has the quickest IRS street driven stang in the world. Pretty sure faster then any street driven s197 too.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Still no mention of drag-racing launch credentials. Even the H'cat/PZero writeup is mum on the topic of dragstrip credibility.

What they're not even hinting at is enough to tell me to not expect too much from them as drag race tires. Pirelli's focus simply lies elsewhere.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Many her claim the PS4 hooks better at the strip the DR's..
I would certainly question those claims.

P Zero are standard equipment on some of the fastest cars on the planet. There reputation as being a world class tire is well earned.
I have run Pirelli tires on other cars in previous times, picked because at the time they were top of the heap for what I was looking for in tires. I'm not even trying to say that Pirellis aren't world-class (in one particular respect the ones I ran were better than any tires I've used before - or since). They're just not trying to be world-class at what drag racing wants them to be best at.

Norm

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Pirelli doesn't make a drag-specific tire, or even a drag-oriented tire.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Norm has very little experience to recommend a drag tire that will do what the OP wants because he doesn't drag race.

The burden of proof is on the claimer not on the person questioning a claim. If you claim a certain brand or specific tire is great for something, back it up with data that is relevant.

A PS4S, while an amazing summer tire, is not going to be anywhere near the performance of a drag radial such as a MT ET Street or an NT05R in a drag situation. In a road course or autocross? It'll destroy the other two. Use the right tool for the job. If you don't want hop on a prepped surface, get a drag-specific tire. My regular street summers don't have a hint of hop on the road, but at the strip it comes out easily. Our suspension is more susceptible to it than live axle cars, for instance, but those cars still have it.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Ahh. I'm so confused !

I think I have to take all of Steeda ' s sway bar and diff bushings off . I'm twitching from side to side . Oh wait maybe I am now noticing how unlevel the pavement is . I got a couple of pirellis too .

Kep4

Jaeger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
I guess what I'm trying to say is that when you see words like "performance" or "performance oriented" in the descriptions and reviews of a tire, don't assume that means it's going to be any better than average at your favorite kind of performance driving. This works both ways - I wouldn't look to M&H or Mickey for road course or autocross tires. Probably not for cornering-oriented street driving either.

Norm
Well, Norm did mention M&H, so I highlighted that and did a 2-second Google search and got this: http://www.mandhtires.com/ Drag Radials!

Scroll all the way down, under Information is a link to Tire Questions which would likely get you inflation info based on the questions asked.

Sponsored

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
  • 2015 Steeda Mustang IRS Subframe Bushing Support System ~ Yup
  • 2015 Steeda Mustang Billet Aluminum Vertical Links ~ nope
  • 2015 Steeda Mustang IRS Subframe Support Braces ~ nope
  • 2015 Steeda Mustang Adjustable Rear Toe Links ~ nope
  • add Drag/ track specific struts-coils
NT05R in a drag situation.
NT05R less then a 45 aspect ratio sidewall is pointless. You need to air em down quite a bit. With my 305/35r19 NT05R airing down made the hop much worse, raising the pressure delayed when the hop kicked in (dead hooked, no spin, armageddon wheel hop 1st-4th still managed 115mph). I went way faster on a borrowed set of similar size street radials (NT05) that spun a little outta the dig, with no hop.(119mph).
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.