Sponsored

Should I not test drive a ‘19 2SS Camaro?

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Good topic. I'm also on the fence b/w a 2SS 1LE or a Bullitt. Price-wise, Bullit is a bit more expensive but I'm waiting for the Bullitts to land at my dealer to test-drive, before I decide.

That's an interesting cross shop, I'd imagine in the simplest comparison, the 1LE will be better on track, and the Bullitt would be a bit quicker in acceleration metrics. The Bullitt has a lot of subjective value too, so that's where a bunch of the cost is going - have you considered a lightly used GT350? vs. the $50K-ish for the Bullitt, it's in the ballpark (seen quite a few MY17+ for very low $50s), and that's more of a 1LE fighter, plus it also has some fun subjective perks (Shelby, engine is an amazing experience, etc.)
Sponsored

Cgocifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel, 2015 4Runner
I may have misconstrued the tsb for the ZL1, but there are threads comparing the 2018 and 2017 ride height of the 1LEs and the 2018s are clearly lower than the 2017s. Sure, you could probably drop it down another half inch for a tucked look, but it's pretty darn low stock. Theres only about an inch gap between fender and tire. That's pretty good for a stock car IMO.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Definitely test drive one but dont waste your time on a regular SS. They're fine, but for chump change you can have a 1LE which is more rare and handles like a super car when you want it to.
ROFLMAO....seriously? More rare? :cwl:

Man, thanks for the laugh.

Anyone who won't be tracking their car would be just fine with the regular SS. Let's not forget that it's a $6500 package. It's a deal for track use, but not so much of a deal for a daily driver.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
ROFLMAO....seriously? More rare? :cwl:

Man, thanks for the laugh.

Anyone who won't be tracking their car would be just fine with the regular SS. Let's not forget that it's a $6500 package. It's a deal for track use, but not so much of a deal for a daily driver.
Well they are rare.

Sponsored

OP
OP
airfuel

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
Oh boy......just back from a test ride.
2SS with npp exhaust, manual tranny, magneride suspension and other goodies I would order.

Motor, motor, MOTOR, Loved the grunty torque of the 6.2 liter. Pulled anywhere from idle to almost redline. Big block vs small block. Both have their charms. I enjoyed the torque of the Camaro and living in New England, hard to find spots to wind out a Mustang.

Tranny. Just about perfect. Did nothing wrong, ratios seeemed fine and clutch was smooth.

Ride: noticeable difference in the drive modes. Handles fine and since no track duty, the 2SS would be what I would order. Quiet and pretty smooth in tour, exhaust bark and stiffer when in sport.

I would order a 2019 and yes, I like the looks and like most refreshes, it will make the old car look a little dated.

Now I need to talk to the dealer messing with my Bullitt order and make a decision.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Sweet! I'm sure you'll enjoy either car!

About the Bullitt car: I think the whole allure of a Bullitt Mustang is really fading. I find it difficult to fathom Ford doing another Bullitt in the future. So, if you do get one, I would feel a bit special. However, I wouldn't let that sway you - just a little possible treat to the experience of ownership. Buy what you want to drive.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
O

Motor, motor, MOTOR, Loved the grunty torque of the 6.2 liter. Pulled anywhere from idle to almost redline. Big block vs small block. Both have their charms. I enjoyed the torque of the Camaro and living in New England, hard to find spots to wind out a Mustang.
The 6.2L LT1 isn't a big block :) It's a bigger-than-the-5.0 small block :D

OP
OP
airfuel

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
The 6.2L LT1 isn't a big block :) It's a bigger-than-the-5.0 small block :D
I know, it just reminded me as a kid and dad getting a Torino with the 302. We also had Mercury with a
429. Going up the hills he would always bark “big block!: and push the pedal down! Fun memories.

Sponsored

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
The NPP sounds great. But it's also defective and starts to rattle horribly for most owners after awhile. GM's TSB is to bring it so they the tech can put epoxy on it, which doesn't stay. I had a '17 1SS briefly. Dealer bought it back due to it overheating shortly after owning it. I think mine was an aberration though.

I like the SS motor better than the Coyote by far. Low end V8 thrust was awesome. Not sure what people are talking about on the top end. You could wring out that 6.2L pretty well for a V8 too. Visibility in the Camaro wasn't good and interior was so-so but as fun weekend car, it works. Daily driver....not ideal but you'd probably get used to it.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The NPP sounds great. But it's also defective and starts to rattle horribly for most owners after awhile. GM's TSB is to bring it so they the tech can put epoxy on it, which doesn't stay. I had a '17 1SS briefly. Dealer bought it back due to it overheating shortly after owning it. I think mine was an aberration though.

I like the SS motor better than the Coyote by far. Low end V8 thrust was awesome. Not sure what people are talking about on the top end. You could wring out that 6.2L pretty well for a V8 too. Visibility in the Camaro wasn't good and interior was so-so but as fun weekend car, it works. Daily driver....not ideal but you'd probably get used to it.
I didn't realize that the Camaro active exhaust did that. I remember thinking it really sounded great during my last Camaro test drive.

The main reasons I didn't buy were visibility, I hated the shifter, the radio seemed very cheap to me, and I didn't like the power delivery. I prefer engines built to rev over those that are more torquey like you would put in a pickup or station wagon. I had also heard about the upcoming GT350 and I just had to have a Mustang with the Voodoo engine.

SDG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS
To be fair not all NPP exhaust setups rattle, seems like more of a 2016 model year thing, you don't hear much about it with newer ones. I bought mine (a 2017) with NPP and it never rattled once, although I did replace it for a louder setup overall.
Sponsored